VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 07:08:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: kernel-2.6.31.6-i686-1vl60.tlz  (Read 6213 times)
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« on: November 29, 2009, 02:20:04 am »

Kernel seems to work fine, but.. modules needed are not in the repos. or did i over look something?

Linux Registered User #481509.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:35:20 am »

Kernel seems to work fine, but.. modules needed are not in the repos. or did i over look something?

What modules do you need?
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:16:07 pm »

ndiswrapper from what i can tell at this moment

it was the 1st thing i checked. I didnt have sound ether. so i may need alsa modules but havent looked more into it atm (been busy with other things)

pevsner

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 08:27:03 am »

I tried this kernel - from the test repo before it was in main v6 repo - it's the same?
Everything was running ok (reinstalled nvidia driver and alsa) except "vasm" didnt work.
So I went back to v2.6.30.

Any ideas why vasm didn't work?

pevsner

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 03:53:39 pm »

Tried it again and got the same issue with freezing up at keyring password entry- starting vasmCC and su thunar (both ran ok as su from terminal). Also I couldn't get a connection on my zydas(zd1211rw) wifi.
Back on v2.6.30.

w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:22:12 pm »

yea i dont think there was any module packages (alsa,ndiswrap,ect) for the .31.6 kern yet.

w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 07:25:27 am »

ok i did re-look in the repos

ndiswrapper 1.55 is there but its a .txz file instead of .tlz

i grabbed the ndiswrapper source 1.55 tryed to compile myself with the 2.6.31.6 kern and got the following error

*** WARNING: This kernel uses 4K stack size option
(CONFIG_4KSTACKS); many Windows drivers will not work
with this option enabled. Disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS
in kernel's .config file, recompile and install kernel

in my earlier experiment sound didnt work as i stated. i have found sound dose work.. but for some reason alsa seems to be "dumb" with the HDA VIA VT82xx sound card (sound card reads a analog and digital set. i have no idea why but it has given me issues on every *nix distro i have installed. sometimes it seems alsa wants to load the digital which never works resulting in me having to do 5 to 10 reboots just to get it to use analog so i can have sound but thats another topic)

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 06:42:32 am »

I have the tlz file up now
pevsner

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:52 pm »

In the past I have just downloaded and installed the 3 packages ( kernel,src & modules), changed lilo, rebooted, installed Nvidia driver and alsa. Voila! All was well. This time I get:
freezing up at keyring password entry- starting vasmCC and su thunar (both ran ok as su from terminal). Also I couldn't get a connection on my zydas(zd1211rw) wifi.
Do I need additional modules?

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:06:53 pm »

In the past I have just downloaded and installed the 3 packages ( kernel,src & modules), changed lilo, rebooted, installed Nvidia driver and alsa. Voila! All was well. This time I get:
freezing up at keyring password entry- starting vasmCC and su thunar (both ran ok as su from terminal). Also I couldn't get a connection on my zydas(zd1211rw) wifi.

you should have all the modules needed in the kernel-modules pkg, I wish I knew what was causing your freeze, I have not seen or heard of that before with a kernel upgrade
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 02:39:01 am »

you should have all the modules needed in the kernel-modules pkg, I wish I knew what was causing your freeze, I have not seen or heard of that before with a kernel upgrade

I tried this last night, in a desperate attempt to save my original VL 6.0 install from problems caused by Xfce 4.6.1 (or something pulled in by the Xfce upgrade). Can't say I saw any freezes, but the machine did become very sluggish after a while. I'm going to have to rebuild that install anyway, so once I've done so and have it working, I'll try the new kernel again, see if it works any better on a clean install.
pevsner

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 09:09:24 am »

I have been running xfce 4.6.1 for ages. I must have got it from the "test" repo because I see it's just been added to the main one. Perhaps I need to install it regarding my keyring problems.

I see the latest stable kernel is now 2.6.32.

Thx t&n, awaiting the the new build.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 04:49:07 pm »

I have been running xfce 4.6.1 for ages. I must have got it from the "test" repo because I see it's just been added to the main one. Perhaps I need to install it regarding my keyring problems.

Huh Xfce 4.6.1 is still in testing ( Smiley and since its giving me all sorts of problems, I'm not moving it until those problems are resolved....)

I see the latest stable kernel is now 2.6.32.

Thx t&n, awaiting the the new build.

Smiley I've yet to install 2.6.31.6 on my shiny new VL6.0 Standard install.  Tomorrow (or is that later today?) maybe.

paul.
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 12:03:52 pm »

i havent been able to play with 2.6.31.6 for awhile now, been to busy.. hope this weekend i can and see how well it really works..

pevsner

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 05:30:54 pm »

Hi,
Up untill 2.6.30 upgrades from the complied kernel,modules,src seemed to work fine.
I have tried all the latest 2.6.31's and have had problems.

To compile my own if found these notes in the forum(below), but unfortunately it does'nt seem to work.
I would appreciate a definitive "vector" kernel/modules howto compile explanation.
Ty in advance.
First there is a copy of the kernel config in /boot
Start with that and then modify as needed. Then
make && make modules && make modules_install
&& cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot && cp
System.Map /Boot/System.map-<kernel name>
Then edit /etc/lilo add the kernel, use lilo -v to
add the entry and reboot.
I am sure others go about this in another way. This
is the process that has always worked for me.
If you are using the current kernel make sure you
have the kernel sources (It appears you know that).
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: