VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 12:23:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to get/post screenshots; how to cut-and-paste xterm  (Read 812 times)
pottzie

« on: November 30, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »

Tried searching the site for quick answers to this, seemed to get more "chaff" than "wheat," so here's my problem. I'm having trouble getting a program (VirtualBox) to work ,and when I post in different forums, I get replies asking for a screenshot. I couldn't find anything that point blank told me how, so I'm asking here.
 Another request is that I input code, to see what code returns and try to find out why I'm having problems. I found that highlighting, then right clicking and choosing "copy" will tell the system waht I want copied, and then center clicking (instead of "paste") inputs that code to xterm. The problem I have is that when some other code is returned, I haven't found a way to copy it and post it to show someone what the returned code said.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:51:34 pm »

Copy/Paste: Generally you can simply select the text you want copied and center-click anywhere else to paste the text. Note, you don't actually do anything to copy the text - simply select it, nothing else. Then simply center-click to paste the selected text.

The screenshot issue somewhat depends on the version of VL you're using.  You should have the 'import' command available from the terminal regardless of version but is not necessarily the most user friendly way.  I believe The GIMP has a screenshot command built-in but if all you need is a screenshot then using The GIMP may be a bit overkill.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:51:36 pm »

In VL Light, the screenshot utility is "Shutterbug" (part of the FOX toolkit).
In KDE, just press the "Print Screen" key.
pottzie

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:00:09 pm »

Ok, thanks. I noticed on the Vector Linux front page there's a header with "screen shot" for a title- I always go to the forum first, without looking at the lead page. I always seem to remeber or discover the answer after I've taken the test!

Stretchedthin gave a response to a question I had a few days ago that was perfect! Everything I needed! But he knew about that link..
 http://www.opensourcebistro.com/
 ..and Google didn't, as far as I could tell. Opensourcebistro blew me away with it's content. It's rich on information, but there's no search feature, from what I've found. Glad it's there though, it helped me out alot.
 Thanks again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: