VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 04:02:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Post-install boot problem [solved]  (Read 3453 times)
robg

« on: November 29, 2009, 10:33:15 am »

Hi,

I'm brand new to Linux. I'm trying to install it on a 5-year old Samsung laptop. I can run Vector Live successfully from a CD, so want to install it to the hard drive.

First I downloaded the full install package and went through all the install steps. After completing the install, on rebooting, it got so far in the process and hung when it got to the "Loading multiuser GUI" stage.

On the advice of a friend, I thought I'd try installing from the Live CD (using the vllive install option). My friend had successfully done this on two different machines, even though he had had problems trying to do a full install on those same machines.

When I reboot after going through the install process, here's what happens:

(1) I first get the manufacturer's splash screen (as you would expect)

(2) Then I get the LILO screen with the options of loading the graphical or text versions of Linux

(3) Then I get a black screen on which the following appears:

Loading Linux
BIOS data check successful
Probing EDD (EDD=off to disable) ...ok

(4) At this point, the screen goes completely black for a couple of seconds and the machine restarts and the process begins again at step (1).

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:40:37 pm by nightflier » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:22:44 am »

Hi Rob, and welcome to Vector.

It looks like your installation was successful, but there is a problem with the configuration of X-windows.

Try selecting the "tui" option on the LILO screen. Log in as root and run "vxconf" to change X settings. First try the default settings. Now run "startx" to test. If that doesn't work, choose the "vesa" option. If that works, you can use it as a starting point and work forwards from there.
robg

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:02:29 pm »

Hi nightflier,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, selecting the "tui" option on the LILO screen doesn't change anything - I just get the same messages, then a momentary black screen, then the machine restarts again.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rob
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:18:50 pm »

At this point it would be good to back up a little.

What are the specs of your machine (model, cpu, ram, hard disk)?
Which VL version did you install (5.9, 6.0, Light, Standard, SOHO, KDE-Classic)?
Which VL Live version runs successfully on it?
robg

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 11:43:44 pm »

Hi again,

In answer to your questions:

- What are the specs of your machine (model, cpu, ram, hard disk)?

It's a Samsung P28 (new in 2005) with 1.5GHz processor, 224MB of RAM and 40GB hard disk.

Which VL version did you install (5.9, 6.0, Light, Standard, SOHO, KDE-Classic)?
Which VL Live version runs successfully on it?

- I can successfully run VL Light 6.0 on it. All peripherals work (including WiFi adapter), and it's super fast. So I did the install direct from inside VL Light 6.0 Live (via System > vlliveinstall). (I had already tried to do a standard install using the non-live version, but that wouldn't boot up either – kept getting stuck at the "Loading multiuser GUI" stage.)

What seems odd is that clearly the environment will work on this machine. For some reason, it just doesn't want to load it from the hard disk.

Rob
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:36:18 am »

(2) Then I get the LILO screen with the options of loading the graphical or text versions of Linux

I just did two installs of vl-light with vlliveinstaller and on neither occation did lilo set-up a tui option. (or even offer to.)
Can someone verify that vlliveinstaller does or does not have the capability to set up a tui option in the lilo boot menu.

If not, I'm thinking that something went arye with the live install and you are still booting to the original install from the full install cd.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
robg

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:40:43 am »

Hi,

I just did two installs of vl-light with vlliveinstaller and on neither occation did lilo set-up a tui option. (or even offer to.)
Can someone verify that vlliveinstaller does or does not have the capability to set up a tui option in the lilo boot menu.

If not, I'm thinking that something went arye with the live install and you are still booting to the original install from the full install cd.

One thing makes me think this is probably not the case: I repartitioned and reformatted the HD during the vlliveinstaller process, thereby (presumably) wiping any previous full install on it.

However, given that I'm new to Linux, I'm quite prepared to be proven wrong.

Rob
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 04:46:19 am »

The VL6.0-Light-Live CD has an option on the initial menu to boot an installed system (second line from bottom).

Select this, then press Tab to edit. Make sure it points to the partition you installed to (/dev/sda1, /dev/hda2 or whatever). Then add a "2" by itself at the end of the line.

If this gets you to the command line login, you can work from there.
robg

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 04:52:03 am »

Hi nightflier,

I will have a look at this later. However, one question at this stage: when you say "If this gets you to the command line login, you can work from there.", what exactly do you mean "work from there"? My goal is to get to a point where VL will happily load from boot without further manual intervention. (This is important as the machine will probably used by one of my kids for web browsing.)

Thanks,

Rob
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 05:12:38 am »

Yeah, pre-coffee morning confusion...

The idea is to boot to command line on the installed system, then finish the setup and configuration from there. Goal is to get a fully functional GUI.
robg

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 05:15:06 am »

OK, thanks. This inevitably leads to the next question: assuming I manage to boot to command line on the installed system, what do I do then?

Thanks again,

Rob
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 05:26:35 am »

First step would be to run "vliloconf" to set up boot loader. Next, "vxconf" for your video driver.
robg

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 05:29:11 am »

OK, thanks. I'll report back later.

Rob
robg

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 11:05:17 am »

Hi,

I did what you said and I seem to have arrived at a login screen saying "Vector - brought to you by Vector-Linux", with a picture of a penguin on the L/H side. There was a "vector login:" prompt and I didn't know what to put so I tried both "vector" and "admin" with the password "vector" and got "login invalid" with both of them.

Any idea what I need to put in here? I don't think I changed any of the default login or password info when I installed it.

Thanks,

Rob
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 11:10:48 am »

Try to log in as "root" with password "vector".
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: