VectorLinux
April 25, 2014, 12:24:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Post-install boot problem [solved]  (Read 2944 times)
robg

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 11:18:15 am »

OK, now we're cooking! This has got me logged in, so I typed "vliloconf" and am now in the "Lilo install" screen. Now, i already went through this as part of the vllivesinstall process, but I guess something didn't work right.

The options I am given are:

1. install to master boot record (I think this is what I chose last time)
2. install to boot sector (needs extra manual steps)
3. install to a formatted floppy
4. do not install lilo

What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Rob
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 11:22:32 am »

Use the master boot record.
robg

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 11:25:17 am »

OK, done that and now back to the "root:#" prompt. Is there anything else I should do before trying to boot from HD again? You mentioned vxconf...?

Rob
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 11:34:01 am »

Assuming there were no errors in LILO installation (warnings are okay), you should now be able to boot from hard drive. Verify that before continuing. Upon reboot, make sure to choose the "tui" entry. It brings you back to the command line login.

Next step is "vxconf". It configures your video card and monitor. After running the utility, test the settings by running "startx".

Once X-windows is working, make it a habit to log in as a regular user. The default account is user "vl" and password "vector". You can create a new account using command "vasm" in a terminal.
robg

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 12:07:19 pm »

Hi,

I followed your instructions and successfully loaded the GUI, from where I am now typing this message. Thanks!

Having come this far, I hope you don't mind me asking you a few more questions:

(1) I need to change from a US to a UK keyboard layout. What's the easiest way of doing this?

(2) The touchpad works OK, but is very sensitive. Is there any way of adjusting this?

(3) The default mode seems to provide four different available workspaces along the taskbar (sorry if that's not the right terminology). This is only going to be used by my kids for browsing, so I'd like if possible to remove (or at least hide) this option. Can I?

(4) I wanted to download and install the latest version of Firefox and/or Opera. When I went to the Opera download site, it offered me various versions but none for Vector. What version should I go for? And if I download a "debian" file, how do I then install it?

Sorry to ask so many things in one go, but if I can sort these things out I'll be a happy user and will leave you in peace.

Thanks,

Rob
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 12:31:55 pm »

Congratulations on successfully setting up your Vector Linux computer!  Grin

Further questions are welcome and encouraged. However, the original problem in this thread is solved. We would prefer that you now edit the original post title by adding "[solved]" to it.

Next, your other questions should be entered in separate threads in the appropriate sections of the forum. This way the information becomes better organized, and more useful to other forum users. When posting, state what version of VL you are using (VL6.0-Light-Live installed to hard drive), what environment you are using (IceWM), and brief summary of your computer (cpu, memory, hard drive space). Many members create a signature with this information, which makes it very easy to include.

And of course; please use the search field in the upper right section of the forum pages. Some of your questions may have been asked and answered already.
robg

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 01:13:23 pm »

Great, will do. Thanks again for your help!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: