VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 06:56:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gslapt confusion - please help  (Read 2014 times)
omergrigg

« on: November 30, 2009, 11:33:35 am »

Hello All,
I'm using a VectorLinux KDE VDI that I got from virtualboximages.
I want to "trim the fat", since I'm using Linux for number of specific things, and I don't need Linux/KDE "office" applications, alarm clock, etc.
However, as I learned from bitter experience, it's unwise to go in gslapt and start hacking away, since all the dependencies/packages issues.  Gslapt is nice, but sometimes it's hard to know exactly what is what.
I I see some application in the programs menu, how do I exactly find out what corresponds to it in the gslapt menu? and how do I make sure it's not "bundled" with stuff I need?

Thanks!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:58:12 am »

Omergrigg

If you really dont want the bloat of the KDE desktop, you should really get the 6.0 Light version.

But, if you really dont want any of the KDE Desktop at all, you can execute
Code:
ls /var/log/packages | grep ^kde
That will give you a list of all the packages that make up the kde desktop.
Mind you, that this will not list any deps for these packages such as qt and whatever else they require.

With that said, I must go back to suggesting the light version.

You can easily install the ISO in a virtualbox Virtual Machine.
I've done it hundreds of times.
Just set it to boot from ISO image, and select the ISO you downloaded and follow the installation procedure as normal.

omergrigg

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 01:56:29 pm »

I like the KDE desktop, and I really need konsole...
I just want to remove the bloat... such as audio/video codecs, multimedia applications, etc.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 02:06:57 pm »

In that case you can probably do away with these packages

WARNING: Proceed @ your own risk

kdegames
kdemultimedia
kdesdk

Just execute
Code:
removepkg <pkgname>
for each of these packages.

omergrigg

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 03:00:52 pm »

What does "kdesdk" include?

More generally - is there a website or some other resource that has details on all the packages?
Gslapt contains dozens!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:58:02 pm »

KDE Software Development Kit. Go to /var/log/packages and open the file "kdesdk-3.5.10..." in a text editor. You will see a description of the package as well as a list of all the included files.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:03:29 pm »

I'll jump in just to suggest you NOT use gslapt to remove packages. As root, do
removepkg nameofpackage
as M0E-lnx explained.

Gslapt is often too aggressive in removing dependencies along with packages. This can wreck your system. Using removepkg to uninstall packages is much safer as it removes just the packages. This could leave you with unneeded library files and other detritus, but that's better than messing up your system.

By the way, if you want a minimal KDE installation (desktop and konsole, among others), I concur with M0E-lnx that you'll get what you want if you install VL 6 Light and then use gslapt to install kdebase and kdelibs. Those will give you the KDE desktop, konsole, konqueror, and other KDE applications but not the multimedia stuff, games, graphics apps, etc., etc., which you don't want.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
omergrigg

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:53:50 am »

Thanks guys for your suggestions!
I think I'll go with the last recommendation - VL 6 light + kdebase and kdelibs... it sounds promising.
One problem, though - virtualboximages makes VL 6 light available through a torrent... and there are no seeders!  Cry
Anyone out there who can help?

Thanks!  Smiley
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 10:01:52 am »

Download ISO from here http://ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-Light-Final.iso
Create new virtual machine in virtualbox
make a new 10GB disk image (dynamic)
Set up to boot from CD image
select the downloaded ISO file
Install

omergrigg

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:40:47 pm »

I'm not sure how to install, since this is a virtual machine and not a "real" install....
Is there any other place to get the VL light VDI?
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 12:48:10 pm »

I'm not sure how to install, since this is a virtual machine and not a "real" install....

Check out the tutorial here: http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/MsOnLinux/ms.htm

The tutorial is about installing Win XP in virtualbox but the basic procedure is pretty much the same for installing VL in virtualbox.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 12:52:55 pm »

The installer can't tell the difference...
Play around with virtualbox... you'll get it in 5 seconds.

omergrigg

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 03:13:01 pm »

I meant the Linux install...
There are all these stages - partitioning and stuff.  I don't know what to do since this is a virtual machine and not a dual-boot install
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 03:15:48 pm »

Just install the way you would for a non dual-boot system. Partition the virtual drive for one OS. As M0E said, the installer can't tell the difference. It's just like installing on real hardware.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
omergrigg

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 03:33:08 pm »

Right...
Apologies for my noobness, but I just want to be sure - If I do the install through virtualbox, all the choices I make (partitions etc.) can be completely undone by just removing and deleting the virtual machine from virtualbox?
I just want to know that if I make a mistake or something, it's all 100% reversible and I can start from scratch (so everything is separate from my actual HD and windows OS etc.)

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: