VectorLinux
December 17, 2014, 05:57:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound not working  (Read 2048 times)
JonnieR

« on: October 16, 2009, 01:54:21 pm »

Hi,

So far I am very pleased with VL6.0 standard.  It got my wireless and webcam unlike some more well known distros, and it is quite speedy.

I have an ACER Aspire One which has a Realtek HD audio under Windows but when running Alsaconf it reports back as snd_hda_intel so I guess that must be the chipset built onboard.  It has worked on other distros with Pulseaudio, but I cannot get it to work with VL and Alsa.

A quick search of the forum didn't yield any eureka moments.  I have even reinstalled the alsa files int he package manager.  Things have got better as I can now get Alsamixer and Mixer to work, but still no sound.

cat /proc/asound/modules reports snd_hda_intel on device 0, but still no joy.

I have tried VLC, MPlayer and XMMS. All with an .m4a(aac) audio file.

Thanks,

Jon.
JonnieR

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:19:04 am »

I now have sound!! Grin

Realtek have a linux driver for their HD Audio cards.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

This link was playing up today when I tried again but who knows it may be their server playing up.

The driver is version 5.13 and is available for 2.4 amd 2.6 kernels.

Jon.
netgem

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 12:12:25 pm »

Hello Jon (or anyone else)
How do I install that realtek driver? I've downloaded it, what next? Please be gentle, I've only been using vector for 4 weeks. Have I got to write something in that scary looking terminal window thing?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:21:36 pm by netgem » Logged

"listen to your heart, not the voices in your head" Marge Simpson
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: