Install was fine (
I discovered the new beta while doing some rego maintenance, so I got a bit of a head start...)
Unfortunately, almost all the bugs I reported in beta 1.8 are still there. The startup sequence in Konsole now works without the doubling up of messages. However, the following are still there:
1 Desktop is unstable. Even with 'align icons to grid' and 'lock icons in place' selected, the desktop icons gradually migrate up the desktop.
2 Open Office extension manager is still broken. Any attempt to add an extension ends before it starts, with the following error:
The operation on file /usr/lib/ooo-3.1/share/extention/install/dict-en.ost
was started with an invalid parameter.
3 Fonts and menu entries for GTK apps are not adjustable, even using the System Settings for GTK styles. As an example, fonts used in the Seamonkey menu are oversized and will not adjust to a more reasonable size. This seems to be partially due to font selection (changing the font makes a bit of a difference to the appearance of the menus), but not much. Even with the smallest available (6pt!) font size selected, the fonts are still too large in the Seamonkey and Firefox menus.
4 If the KDE user manager is used to create a new user, it defaults to using a UID of 500. While this can be changed, the user needs to know that it should be changed. The applet does not appear to read existing user records, so it does not increment from any existing users.
5 VasmCC appears twice in the menu - once under settings and once under system.
6 In System Settings > Advanced > Samba, there is no option to enter the root password, so all options are grayed out unless you are logged in as root.
7 Even though /etc/samba/smb.conf has been edited to show the correct workgroup, a phantom 'MYGROUP' is still being shown, even though the correct workgroup is also shown.
8 System Settings > Network Settings comes up with a 'your platform is not supported' box, offering lots of options. Would be nice to know what should be selected.
9 System Settings > Date & Time. Locale settings can be set by either user or root, but always request the root password? Seems inconsistent if the setting is local rather than global (which is implied by the fact that it can be set by individual users). Worse, the settings don't stick - if System Settings is closed and reopened, the locale setting will have reverted to the original value.
10 The ~/.bash_profile is created with 'export LANG=en_US'. This is not the locale selected during install, and should be. In both cases, the 'preserve locale settings' (sorry, can't remember the exact wording) option was ticked during the install.
11 Keyboard layout is now correct in X, but is not
correct in console. Even though I selected UK English during the install, and UK English is active in X, in console, I am getting US English layout.
12 I'm getting an odd error when logging in to a console session. As below:
redmond:$ cat error.txt
Vector Linux 6.0 SOHO Beta 2 built on DEC-02-2009 on Linux 18.104.22.168
Last login: Mon Dec 7 00:17:11 +0000 2009 on :0.
You are working as redmond
Frequently used programs:
Configuration : vasm
File manager : mc (press F2 for useful menu)
Editor : mcedit, nano, vi
Multimedia : alsamixer, play
Cannot open display "default display"
One big improvement is Dolphin. In beta 1.8, any time I attempted to access a Samba share, it died instantly. In this beta, I'm able to access Samba shares without it collapsing.
More later. Now I have to go and reinstall VL 6.0 Standard - installing Xfce4 has made my existing install very unstable.....