VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 12:45:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-SOHO6-beta2 bug reports and comments  (Read 14283 times)
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 08:05:01 pm »

Granny

Try checking: id

See if the uid is the same on other installs.

Just a suggestion.

Bigpaws
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 09:58:45 pm »

This sounds like the problem I was having with the installer not using UID 1000 when other user accounts are found.

Smiley I've not tested it this time round, as I already had a (manually) created user from an earlier install, and just imported that. Its nice to know that I'm not the only one who needs the first user created, as in the past, with a UID of 1000, instead of some increment from that number.

paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 12:06:50 pm »

Try checking: id

See if the uid is the same on other installs.

Running id revealed the source of the problem. On all my other systems, the first user account I create is my own and all of them have UID of 1000 and GID of 1000. On SOHO b2.1 I created my own user account first, as usual, but the UID and GID were 1001. That, of course, causes copying to or from SOHO from my other Vector installations to not work and I get a permission denied.

I wanted to change my ID numbers to 1000 but VASM doesn't offer that option and neither could I find it in KDE. So once again, Google was my friend. As root, I edited /etc/passwd and /etc/group and changed the numbers to 1000. I was then able to copy stuff from my home directory on another VL installation.

I hope this will be changed so that the first user created is 1000. If not, it will create minor havoc when the user tries to copy from the same user's home directory on another VL. I usually create a visitor account second and one for my husband third, but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I'll be curious to see whether those numbers are also messed up. Visitor should be 1001.

Thanks for the tip.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 12:13:59 pm »

Will there be a Webcam application added? Or can we install wXcam from the repos? I have an old QuickCam Messenger that I got working in wXcam on my VL6 Standard installation on the same computer. I haven't been able to get it working in Skype, however, but haven't exhausted the bag of tricks yet. This Webcam is not supported and does not work on Vista or Win 7, so having it work in VL is particularly gratifying.

I haven't installed Skype yet on SOHO and I was hoping the Webcam would work better on SOHO than it does on Standard, but without a Webcam application to see whether it's working at all this is a bit mystery.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 12:29:15 pm »

I hope Inkscape .47 will be included instead of Inkscape .46. I've been using Inkscape .47 on my VL6 Standard installation on the same computer and it's working very well.

I did update to Inkscape .47 through Gslapt on SOHO b2.1. When I started Inkscape from the command line, I got error messages for four missing library links. I was able to get Inkscape working by creating the symlinks myself.

There are also warnings for things that don't seem to have much impact on the way Inkscape runs. Here are a few:

/home/me/.gtkrc-2.0:1: Unable to find include file: "$HOME/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
/home/me/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:746: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.                     

** (inkscape:6826): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
        /home/me/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/Menu-Menubar/menubar.png,           
borders don't fit within the image                                         

** (inkscape:6826): WARNING **: invalid source position for horizontal gradient

** (inkscape:6826): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
        /home/me/.themes/qt4/gtk-2.0/Toolbar/toolbar.png,               
borders don't fit within the image                                         

And they continue like that.

While I'm thinking of it, Flash has had a "major" security update. I installed it on my VL6Light laptop and everything is working. I haven't checked to see whether it's already in SOHO and I haven't yet upgraded Flash on my VL6 Standard Deluxe partition. Will do that after I post this. I'm writing from Opera on SOHO.
--GrannyGeek

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 10:40:15 am »

Beta 2 loaded without issue and preliminary usage has not presented a problem. Will try building a few packages and other fun stuff to give it a better workout.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 08:36:48 pm »

Beta 2.1:

Unfortunately I can't get it to install. When using the GUI installer, it loads fine but then hangs on searching for install media. Using the text installer I get this:

No filesystem could mount root, tried: reiserfs ext3 ext2 ext4 ext4dev vfat msdos iso9660 ntfs jfs xfs

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

Pid: 1, comm: swapper not tainted 2.6.31.6

Call Trace:

However, this doesn't make sense to me. My hard drive has 3 partitions that are all Reiserfs. One for my VL5.9 SOHO, one for my home folder, and one for VL6 STD (plus my swap partition).

Any thoughts? I'd really like to get this installed and give it a run through!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 08:42:43 pm »

Dweeberkitty I don't think the text installer was included with SOHO. At least not yet.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 08:47:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure I downloaded and burned the right iso image though. It's VL6.0-SOHO-B2.1 right? Found here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B2.1.iso

The first screen says to type "linux" at the command prompt to get the text installer.

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 05:32:16 am »

That is the correct image, but the text installer is undergoing development too, so it's not yet ready.

Please do this for us.
Boot to the gui installer
move your mouse pointer to the bottom left corner of the screen, you will see a taskbar... click the button and get yourself a terminal window

Mount one of the existing partitions and after the installer "hangs", close it and from the terminal window copy /root/gui.log into the partition you mounted.
Also, post the output of parted -l

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 08:01:40 am »

Here is the output of parted -l:

Code:
bash-3.2# parted -l   
Model: MAXTOR STM3320620A (ide)
Disk /dev/hda: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  25.0GB  25.0GB  primary  reiserfs     boot
 2      25.0GB  310GB   285GB   primary  reiserfs         
 3      310GB   314GB   4006MB  primary  linux-swap       
 4      314GB   320GB   5996MB  primary  reiserfs         

Warning: Unable to open /dev/hdc read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/hdc
has been opened read-only.
Error: /dev/hdc: unrecognised disk label                                 

Warning: Unable to open /dev/fd0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/fd0
has been opened read-only.
Error: /dev/fd0: unrecognised disk label                                 

Here is gui.log:
Code:
(vinstall-ng.gambas:2771): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_attach: assertion `window != NULL' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:2771): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:2771): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_background: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:2771): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:2771): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:2771): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_background: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:2771): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(vinstall-ng.gambas:2771): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_attach: assertion `window != NULL' failed

vinstall-ng.gambas: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 10:39:04 am »

I see nothing unusual on that output.
How long does it it hang for?
The source detection process can be lengthy sometimes depending on hardware.

Do you see at the bottom where the red letters say "scanning /dev/[sh]dxx?

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 12:50:41 pm »

It hangs for an indefinite amount of time. The installer window becomes unresponsive and has to be killed. Yes I see the red letters. However, it only says something like "Scanning for media" but does not have any specific device it says it is scanning.

I'll try it again tonight and let it sit there for a lot longer and see if anything happens. The scanning for media part is pretty much exactly the same as in previous VL releases with the text installer right? If so, it never takes more than a few seconds on my machine.

jimtib

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 01:16:47 pm »

My install goes the same way as Dweeberkittys. I thought I had a bad burn on my cd so I tried 5 times.The cd worked fine on my old athlon 1000.It locked up on my AMD 64 single core. I installed onto the hard drive using my old computer and moved it to my amd64 and it works fine.Dont know why it wont work on the 64 bit..All I had to do was change video when I moved the hard drive.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 01:25:46 pm »

Can you guys run the installer in the IDE?

See this tutorial for instructions
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/gambasIDE/gambasIDE.htm

If that fails or if the IDE is not available in the boot cd , make sure your installer is up to date.
From a working linux install, check out a fresh copy of the installer svn tree
Code:
svn co http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/svn/vinstall/branches/speedy
Boot the install cd
Close the installer window
open terminal
Mount the partition that contains the svn tree you checked out
copy the 'speedy' dir from the svn tree to your /root/
cd /root
run ./speedy/vinstall-ng.gambas > gui.log 2>&1

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print