VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 07:40:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-SOHO6-beta2 bug reports and comments  (Read 13649 times)
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 08:37:30 am »

When I try to run the IDE, I get this:

Code:
bash-3.2# gambas2
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libqt-mt.so.3' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: #27: Cannot load component '/usr/lib/gambas2/gb.qt.so': libqt-mt.so.3: Cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'll give the SVN installer a try though.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 09:38:01 am »

MOE-lnx,

I get the same results with the latest SVN copy of the installer. The installer loads fine and I can choose my keyboard and all that but when it searches for the install media, I see the vector animation in the middle for about 1sec. and then it hangs (as in the animation stops and the window becomes unresponsive). There is no CPU usage at that point and the installer is not polling my hard drive or CDROM and DVDROM drives. It just freezes.

The output of the fresh installer is the same as I posted before.

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 09:23:02 pm »

No comment.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:26:50 pm by prince » Logged
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 10:29:35 pm »

Thanks Masta,

I withdrew previous statements as Masta pointed out - it has its place, and that is reserved for another topic.

Masta, indeed you are correct, Kick-off can be configured to switch to Lancelot. Yes, it is the default from KDE, but what I'm referring to is; for the interest of Vector what might be a good default on the V6 Soho for new users.

I, also,  think it will also be very frustrating for new users to have Vector V6 Soho without Compiz(fusion) out of the box. 

By the way, this comment, too, was written on Vector Linux (not MSW7). 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:43:54 pm by prince » Logged
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 07:54:44 am »

No comment.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:08:35 pm by prince » Logged
curtdodds

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2009, 11:56:58 am »

Fresh install using 6.0 SOHO B2.1 and CD2.
1. B2 CD would not boot, had to use B2.1 (old news)
2. I chose to install lilo to the root directroy. It did install there, but also wiped my mbr.
    after recovering the mbr (I use bootitng) I booted into vector ok. Played around upgraded  pkgs,
    installed a few. No problems. Next reboot, my mbr was trashed again. I did chmod 600 for /sbin/vfixmbr
    and sbin/vliloconf-fixmbr, to disable them. Subsequent reboots ok.
3. During install I specified fat32 partitions to mount. they appeared in fstab as fat32. Should have been vfat.
4. During install I specified two ext3 partitions to mount: /shared and /backup. They appeared ok in fstab but
    the directories /shared and /backup were not created.
5. User id of 1001 caused me problems as well. Had to change to 1000 (old news).
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 11:58:59 am »

No comment.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:11:45 pm by prince » Logged
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 06:18:44 pm »

Hi prince,
               I can see some points there, but what I can't see, is what all this has to do with bugs or comments on our Beta-2 release.
               By the way, kickoff is part of KDE, you can always use the classic menu, by right clicking on the menu button and selecting "switch to classic menu style".
               While I can admit KDE is rather slow, I have to admit that it seems to be a bit more speedy comparing to other Linux based distros out there.
                I can't speak on which version of xorg we will be using, that's above me, but can suspect if the latest stable release is out in the right time, we might be using it, else we will probably be using what we have.

I hope that you don't view this as thwarting your suggestions, I encourage them, but some of those things there need to be in another section of the forum... mainly the advertisement plugs Smiley

P.S.
        I have yet to see Windows 7 boot faster than VL .... hard fact is, the desktop gets there and you still have to wait nearly 5 minutes or so to use the damned thing while everything else is still being loaded and ran in the background. Of course this is system dependent on the "5 minutes". I received a private invite from MS to try the win'-7 final release version. I did take the opertunity to do so. It all boils down to this: I won't be leaving VL to use Windows-7 .... or any previous version for that matter  Wink I do have a shiny coaster where I can slop my coffee and chocolate milk mugs onto now.  Grin
TLM

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2009, 12:06:21 am »

Ditto Masta on Windows 7 booting in the background. Just watch your hard drive LED after the desktop is up and going. It blinks like crazy loading all the other stuff in the background and using your CPU. Once KDE desktop is up, there is no hard drive activity indicated by the LED indicator. Alternatively, one might open Task Manager in Win 7 and just look at all the things going on well after the desktop is up. Nothing boots faster than VL with Xfce. Except Puppy with Xfce  Wink Way more flexibility and apps available in VL tho.

Particle board should be outlawed.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 08:15:29 am »

So I tried the B1 release and used the installer with the IDE. I had a much better experience with it than B2. Here is the console output from the installer.

Code:
(speedy:4485): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_attach: assertion `window != NULL' failed

(speedy:4485): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(speedy:4485): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_background: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(speedy:4485): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(speedy:4485): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(speedy:4485): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_background: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(speedy:4485): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_set_foreground: assertion `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed

(speedy:4485): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_attach: assertion `window != NULL' failed

MdlMain.FIND_CD_INSTALL_MEDIA.192: Scanning for CD Media ... Please wait
Scanning /dev/hdd
Scanning /dev/hdc

umount2: Invalid argument
umount: /dev/hdc: not mounted
Step1.OnExit.79: Creating installation profile
Step1.OnExit.81: Mounting Selected Media source
 ---> Install to pre-partitioned hard drive

Step6.read_partition_selection.256: Select partition /dev/hda4 as / reiserfs
Step6.read_partition_selection.269: Select swap partition /dev/hda3 for target install. Total size=4006MB

READY TO BEGIN INSTALLING Vector Linux 6.0 SOHO Beta 1
INSTALL SUMMARY:
Install Media type = cdrom
Installing from = /dev/hdc
Installation Method = Complete
PARTITIONS TO BE USED
--------------------------
/ = /dev/hda4     Size:6.00GB
swap = /dev/hda3     Size:4006MB

MdlMain.PERFORM_PARTITIONING.844: Formatting partitions ... Please wait
umount: /dev/hda4: not mounted
MdlMain.PERFORM_PARTITIONING.887: Formatting /dev/hda4 with reiserfs
mkreiserfs 3.6.20
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 by Hans Reiser, licensing governed by reiserfsprogs/COPYING.
A pair of credits:
Vladimir Demidov wrote the parser for sys_reiser4(), the V3 alpha port, part of
the V3  journal  relocation code,  and helped  Hans keep  the business  side of
things running.

Edward Shushkin wrote the encryption and compression  file plugins,  and the V3
journal relocation code.

MdlMain.PERFORM_PARTITIONING.895: Success!
umount: /dev/hda3: not mounted
MdlMain.Mount_Target_Partitions.925: Mounting target root /dev/hda4
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 3911820 KiB
no label, UUID=c2af91ab-c75d-4e5e-9ab3-df3d32f30ab7

.-----.-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
| 1/1 | Installing aaa_base-12.1.0-noarch-2.txz                               |
'-----'-----------------------------------------------------------------------'

......................More packages..................................................
......................deleted output here...........................................

| 1/1 | Installing sbbuilder-0.4.12.2-noarch-5vl60.txz                        |
Step9.install_kernels.116: Copying kernels from initrd
Step9.install_kernels.124: Installing /mnt/source/isolinux/kernel/sata as /mnt/target/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6
Step9.Perform_Installation.240: CDROM install... moving to CD 2
Step9.mount_new_source.397: attempting to mount /dev/hdc
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
Step9.mount_new_source.407: mount  /dev/hdc /mnt/source
Step9.match_installation_media.449: Matching install media
Matching media .... Failed
Step9.Perform_Installation.253: Media mismatch error... Trying again.
Step9.match_installation_media.449: Matching install media
Matching media .... Failed
Step9.INSTALL_VL_CONFIG.329: vlconfig2 has been previously moved to the target

| 1/1 | Installing vlconfig2-6.0-noarch-6vl60.txz                             |
MdlMain.WRITE_ETC_VECTOR_VERSION.1651: Writing distro ID
MdlBootMngr.DO_BIND_MOUNTING.351: Performing bind mounts ... Please wait
  No volume groups found

MdlMain.write_background_config_scripts.165: Start background configuration now ...
Restarting udevd
Module dependencies up to date (no new kernel modules found).
FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting gx_suspmod (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/gx-suspmod.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k8 (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k8.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting cpufreq_nforce2 (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/cpufreq-nforce2.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting longhaul (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/longhaul.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k6 (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k6.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_centrino (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_smi (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-smi.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting e_powersaver (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/e_powersaver.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting longrun (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/longrun.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting powernow_k7 (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/powernow-k7.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_ich (/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-ich.ko): No such device
Usage: /sbin/modprobe [-v] [-V] [-C config-file] [-n] [-i] [-q] [-b] [-o <modname>] [ --dump-modversions ] <modname> [parameters...]
/sbin/modprobe -r [-n] [-i] [-v] <modulename> ...
/sbin/modprobe -l -t <dirname> [ -a <modulename> ...]
FATAL: Module novmsplice not found.
FATAL: Module sg not found.

(speedy:4485): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_cell_view_set_displayed_row: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_MODEL (cell_view->priv->model)' failed
Conf0.Set_Bootloader_Target.909: bootloader target changed to /dev/hda
Probing Hardware
grep: /etc/lilo.conf: No such file or directory
Probing for modem
Probing for Ethernet
No network card detected WARNING
Checking for laptop
ALSA CONFIGURATOR version 1.0.18 This script is a configurator for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) driver. If ALSA is already running, you should close all sound apps now and stop the sound driver. alsaconf will try to do this, but it's not 100% s
ure.
Building card database..
00:09.0 0401: 1102:0007
Searching sound cards
find: write error: Broken pipe
Following card(s) are found on your system. Choose a soundcard to configure:
ca0106 Creative Labs SB Audigy LS
OK, sound driver is configured. ALSA CONFIGURATOR will prepare the card for playing now. Now I'll run alsasound init script, then I'll use amixer to raise the default volumes. You can change the volume later via a mixer program such as alsamixer or gamix.
Loading driver...
Starting sound driver: snd-ca0106 done
Setting default volumes...
Saving the mixer setup used for this in /etc/asound.state.

===============================================================================

Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

Have a lot of fun!

Unknown media type in type 'all/all'

Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'

Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'

Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'

Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'

Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'

Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'

Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'

Unknown media type in type 'fonts/package'

Unknown media type in type 'interface/x-winamp-skin'

Everything worked out fine until it asked for the second disc. I didn't have the second disc for beta1 and tried my b2 disc but it didn't work. Basically the freezing at finding media was fixed.

After that, it got to the bootloader. Grub was the default selection and I left everything else the same because it looked good. Hitting next caused it to freeze. Eventually I had to kill the installer. The above output covers everything until it froze.

I rebooted and got into the desktop but there I had a very bad experience. Everything was horribly slow. Clicking on buttons often gave a 2-3 second or more and often they didn't do anything. The kickoff menu would not show (all I got was a black box outlining where it should be). One thing to note is that I have an NVIDIA card but the NVIDIA drivers were not installed (perhaps because I didn't finish the rest of the configuration. Basically the desktop was unusable. I don't think this is a KDE fault because I've used KDE4 on this machine before and it works fine.

Anyway, there could be multiple things causing these problems: no second disc installed, didn't finish configuration, no bootloader installed etc...

BTW, the Grub bootloader never actually installed. When I rebooted, my old LILO configuration was still there but I was able to get into the new install since I already had an entry in LILO pointing to it.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2009, 08:37:34 am »

Dweeberkitty,
can you try to install the B2 ISO by booting the B1 cd and putting the B2 ISO on the root of another partition?
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2010, 03:24:08 pm »

Okay, that worked Uelsk8s.

Here's what I encountered. The installation went fine until I got to the bootloader part and then the installer froze and same thing happened when I left it to use Grub. I had to kill it. The resulting system had some issues but I was able to get into it. Just for reference (since this was bad install anyway) the problems were:

• Sound did not work
  • The nvidia drivers failed to install (see the output of /var/log/nvidia-installer.log below)
  • Using auto for xconfig resulted in an unusable system since neither the keyboard nor the mouse worked (I couldn't even do ctrl-alt-backspace)
  • The root terminal had the same message posted twice ("You are working as root.......and all the rest)

Output of /var/log/nvidia-installer.log:
Code:
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Fri Jan  1 11:17:04 2010
installer version: 1.0.7

option status:
  license pre-accepted    : true
  update                  : false
  force update            : false
  expert                  : false
  uninstall               : false
  driver info             : false
  precompiled interfaces  : false
  no ncurses color        : false
  query latest version    : false
  OpenGL header files     : true
  no questions            : true
  silent                  : false
  no recursion            : false
  no backup               : false
  kernel module only      : false
  sanity                  : false
  add this kernel         : false
  no runlevel check       : true
  no network              : true
  no ABI note             : false
  no RPMs                 : true
  no kernel module        : false
  force SELinux           : default
  no X server check       : true
  no cc version check     : false
  force tls               : (not specified)
  X install prefix        : (not specified)
  X library install path  : (not specified)
  X module install path   : (not specified)
  OpenGL install prefix   : (not specified)
  OpenGL install libdir   : (not specified)
  utility install prefix  : (not specified)
  utility install libdir  : (not specified)
  doc install prefix      : (not specified)
  kernel name             : (not specified)
  kernel include path     : (not specified)
  kernel source path      : (not specified)
  kernel output path      : (not specified)
  kernel install path     : (not specified)
  proc mount point        : /proc
  ui                      : (not specified)
  tmpdir                  : /tmp
  ftp mirror              : ftp://download.nvidia.com
  RPM file list           : (not specified)

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted by command line option.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 185.18.36.
-> Skipping check for conflicting rpms.
-> Not probing for precompiled kernel interfaces.
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
-> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
-> The CC version check failed:

The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.1) does not exactly match the
   current compiler (gcc 4.2).  The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects kern
   el modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that of t
   he compiler used to build the running kernel.

If you know what you are doing and want to ignore the gcc version check, sel
   ect "No" to continue installation.  Otherwise, select "Yes" to abort install
   ation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to c
   ompile your kernel, and restart installation.  Abort now? (Answer: Yes)
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
       '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions
       on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
       driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

So because of these issues I reinstalled. Only this time I made sure to select LILO for my bootloader. That fixed all of the above issues because I was able to complete the install. I was able to get to my installed system and things look pretty good. The desktop was nice and snappy. I turned on the desktop effects and had fun with that. They were very smooth, snazzy, and fast btw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only actual problem I found was my user account that I created during install was not actually created. It did not show up in the KDM login screen and I could not log into it from the CLI. More investigation is required on this. I will see if I can reproduce the problem. Other than that, everything else is just minor annoyances. I'll also post these to the bug tracker if I can find the link again).

• KPlato (WorkPackage Handler) is located in "Lost and Found" in menu
  • Firefox is very out of place in the KDE4 environment. Please consider installing the KDE4 Firefox theme which cleans it up nicely.
  • I was dissapointed that Xine is not included. This is a much missed program and I think has been included in many previous VL releases. I always use it for DVD playback instead of MPlayer. I think there is enough room on the second disc to include it.
  • The Vector Docs link on the desktop opens to www.vectorlinux.com and not any sort of documentation
  • I see that Firefox is located down on the taskbar next to Pidgen and other programs. However, it seems that SeaMonkey is the default browser. I think either SeaMonkey should be down in the taskbar or Firefox made the default web browser. Users will get confused if they end up using two different web browsers and wonder why their favorites and passwords are saved in one and not the other (depending on which one they actually use for saving favorites and such).
  • I see that htop is not included. This is a nice replacement for the top command in CLI. Again, there should be enough space on the second disc.
  • While I'm at it, I think that even more software could be included. We now are using two discs for install but the resulting system does not seem to contain much more software than a VL5.9 SOHO install with one disc. I think there have been several suggestions of more software that could be included and it might be beneficial to do so. Use up that extra 300mb or so on the second disc so to speak.
  • VasmCC looks out of place in the KDE4 environment. Also, clicking on "About" in VasmCC shows a spelling error in the first line. It says, "asmCC ...." This should be "vasmCC"
  • I noticed several places when clicking on "Help" throughout the installer and such that could be reworded, or fix spelling/grammatical errors. If you want, I'll volunteer to go through and make a list of things that should be fixed and rewrite them if you want. A more professional tone in some text would not be a bad change either.
  • I saw that the package OpenOffice.org-3.1.1beta3 was installed. Why are we using a beta version of OpenOffice? If we want to do that, why not use OpenOffice.org3.2RC1 (which is faster for me and looks good). I do like that the KDE4 theme is applied to OpenOffice....nice job.
  • Amarok does not have any visualizations installed. Would be nice to have these included.

Well, so far it is looking good. Again for reference this was with testing on B2.1. Some of these "problems" might already be fixed. I'll post these to the bug tracker as well.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:34:19 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2010, 08:08:28 pm »

Thanks Dweeberkitty.

I think htop will get in there, I couldn't see it not being there. Also, just wanted to point out that I think the second cd was purposely kept small for testing purposes. Should see more in the RC stages I think.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 09:19:50 am »

Three more things in B2.1:

• OpenOffice does not have spell-check working.
  • I don't like the clock on the desktop by default. It shows up in the middle of the screen. (I have a 1680x1050 resolutions which is probably why.) It would be okay if it actually showed up on the side or something (where I think it was intended).
  • There are some graphic problems with "Shutdown" "Log Off" etc... For clarity, this is when you actually click to logout or something and the screen dims and you have the little question box asking if you really want to proceed. If you don't see this problem, I can post a screenshot.

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 09:33:03 am »

There are some graphic problems with "Shutdown" "Log Off" etc... For clarity, this is when you actually click to logout or something and the screen dims and you have the little question box asking if you really want to proceed. If you don't see this problem, I can post a screenshot.

The graphics look okay on my machine but is it really necessary to require three mouse clicks and a hover to logoff or shutdown from the main menu? The last dialog checking if I'm really sure is unnecessary. I suppose I could skip that third click and wait for the time out. (I realize this is a KDE issue not VL and that I can use a taskbar widget and only have to click twice.)

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: