VectorLinux
September 15, 2014, 04:32:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux-SOHO6-beta2 bug reports and comments  (Read 14807 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2010, 10:37:08 am »

Just committed new changes to the installer fixing the 'fat32' issue @ /etc/fstab and making it create the actual mountpoints.

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2010, 11:01:35 am »

One more problem I forgot to mention. All the partitions on my hard driver use ReiserFS. During install, I chose to use one of those partitions as / and formatted as ReiserFS.

I noticed that there were a bunch of stuff in my trash bin. They are things that I deleted a long time ago as root but never emptied the trash can. The only explanation for this is that the installer did not actually format my partition but just wrote files over it. I thought the partitioning and formatting part right before install was kinda quick.....now I know why.

So this is not too terrible of a problem except that it was not expected. However, problems could arise if someone had a corrupt partition or something that they wanted to format anyway but experienced problems after installation because the partition was not formatted. I think that partitions should be formatted prior to install. Perhaps it would have been if I had not used ReiserFS but a different file system. I assume this was not by design.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 02:00:17 pm »

Ive never had this happen before. can you maybe look at the output and see if there was any trouble while formatting? you should have a log in /var/log/installation

if you dot have this file, please try another install. if bootloaders are giving you trouble, bypass them so you can complete the installation and we can see the log.

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 06:08:13 pm »

Here you go:

Code:
umount: /dev/hda4: not mounted
mkreiserfs 3.6.20
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 by Hans Reiser, licensing governed by reiserfsprogs/COPYING.
A pair of credits:
Joshua Macdonald wrote the first draft of the transaction manager. Yuri Rupasov
did testing  and benchmarking,  plus he invented the r5 hash  (also used by the
dcache  code).  Yura  Rupasov,  Anatoly Pinchuk,  Igor Krasheninnikov,  Grigory
Zaigralin,  Mikhail  Gilula,   Igor  Zagorovsky,  Roman  Pozlevich,  Konstantin
Shvachko, and Joshua MacDonald are former contributors to the project.

Alexander Zarochentcev  (zam)  wrote the high low priority locking code, online
resizer for V3 and V4, online repacker for V4, block allocation code, and major
parts of  the flush code,  and maintains the transaction manager code.  We give
him the stuff  that we know will be hard to debug,  or needs to be very cleanly
structured.

umount: /dev/hda3: not mounted
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 3911820 KiB
no label, UUID=291753ae-b29d-4e44-8c00-1e9fd67d3984

I will send you the whole file for reference....forum wouldn't let me post it.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 04:43:03 pm »

Just installed Beta2 (last Monday), here are a few notes:

Grin - The GMA4500 graphics now works correctly after install.
Grin - The HD audio sound still works well automagically, like in Beta1 (it did not in Alphas).
Sad - Database Access Properties is still in the Settings menu, calling gnome-database-properties-3.0. It does nothing AFAICT.
Sad - We really need a "System Settings (root)" option in the Settings menu.
Sad - Could we add the iwlwifi-5000 microcode? I have been adding it manually so far: http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=downloads
Sad - We should probably add the iwlwifi-5150, 1000 and 6000 while we are at it.
Sad - Can we have Amarok 2.2.1? It supposedly has a lot of changes/fixes over the 2.2.0 (tried to build it, but requires mysql embedded)

And for Dweeberkitty:
Grin - htop is in there, just not in the menu.
Sad - KPlato (WorkPackage Handler) is indeed in Lost and Found
Sad - I've noticed the ooorg Beta3 package since the Alphas, but had forgotten to point this out.

Huh - About packages, deps and repo:

Are we going to have a separate repo for VL6 SOHO? Many of the libraries cause problems for packages built on VL6 Standard or Light, due to higher versioning. For example, 0.47 in VL6 SOHO Beta2 requires the creation of several symlinks:
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libMagick++.so /usr/lib/libMagick++.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so.1
ln -s /usr/lib/libpoppler.so /usr/lib/libpoppler.so.2
ln -s /usr/lib/libpoppler.so /usr/lib/libpoppler.so.2

Note that even symlinking is not guaranteed to work if the libs are different enough to be incompatible.

A further issue is the fact that some base package names have been changed at some point. A couple of examples:
- imagemagick-6.3.7_10 vs. ImageMagick-6.5.6_4
- qt4-4.4.1 and qt4-4.5.0_r948357 vs. qt-4.5.3

Even further, qt3, which used to reside under /usr/lib/qt is now under /usr/lib/qt3, making compilation of qt3 apps difficult, as well as the use of qtconfig from qt3. For this last, I added the following symlink for my own use:
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/qt3/bin/qtconfig /usr/bin/qt3-config

Note that for building one qt4 app (forgot which) I had to:
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/qt/bin/moc /usr/bin/moc-qt4

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
caieng

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2010, 05:00:24 am »

Quote from: Vector
Please note this is now a two cd (iso) install. Installing the first CD will give a workable system, installing the second CD will provide all the bells and whistles.
Is there a good reason to waste a second CD?

Since the first CD gives a "workable system", why can't a user login to a web site, and download the rest of the OS, instead of wasting another cdrom, for a buggy beta version?

Even with the "final" version, (and I dispute that concept, incidentally, but that's another topic), why must a user waste a second cd, if one can gain "all the bells and whistles" from a download?

In fact, while we're at it, why not have ONE cdrom for ALL Vector Linux distros?  Then, the user goes to the web to configure his/her system exactly as he/she wishes?  One person's SOHO is another person's bloatware.  Someone's "minimal system" includes three different servers, with twenty users and a hundred groups, while another Vector Linux user simply hopes to check his/her email... One person thinks XFCE is the cat's meow, another finds it opaque, apart from the little mouse.

CAI ENG
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2010, 05:52:43 am »

Quote from: Vector
Please note this is now a two cd (iso) install. Installing the first CD will give a workable system, installing the second CD will provide all the bells and whistles.
Is there a good reason to waste a second CD?

Since the first CD gives a "workable system", why can't a user login to a web site, and download the rest of the OS, instead of wasting another cdrom, for a buggy beta version?

Even with the "final" version, (and I dispute that concept, incidentally, but that's another topic), why must a user waste a second cd, if one can gain "all the bells and whistles" from a download?

In fact, while we're at it, why not have ONE cdrom for ALL Vector Linux distros?  Then, the user goes to the web to configure his/her system exactly as he/she wishes?  One person's SOHO is another person's bloatware.  Someone's "minimal system" includes three different servers, with twenty users and a hundred groups, while another Vector Linux user simply hopes to check his/her email... One person thinks XFCE is the cat's meow, another finds it opaque, apart from the little mouse.

CAI ENG

That's up to you...
You dont really need to log in to some web site. Download both ISO's, and burn only the first one.
After you install, just mount the second ISO and install it... simple.

As a matter of fact, if you're smart enough you dont even need to waste CD's... you can install right from ISO
Wink

caieng

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2010, 02:50:59 pm »

Quote from: Moe-Inx
just mount the second ISO
That's not intuitive to me.
What does it mean to "mount" a piece of software?  I think of the UNIX terminology, mount, i.e. mnt, as referring to something physical....

Further, how does one "mount" an iso image?

Complicating matters, considerably, is the fact that the computer I employ for downloading, and the computer upon which I plan to install Vector, are not the same==> and are certainly not connected to each other.

Is it possible then, to install the OS from the first CD, and then download the second CD, i.e. the iso image representing the second cd, after the first has been installed?  Is the system sufficiently robust, after installing the first cd to access the internet?

As a matter of fact, if you're smart enough you dont even need to waste CD's... you can install right from ISO
Well, I am certainly not very clever, and I am particularly unimaginative, therefore, I cannot envision a way to accomplish this feat==> download from one computer, and mount the resultant software, without using an intermediate piece of hardware, (optical disk versus flash memory versus removable hard drive) and without a wireless connection between the two systems, on another computer.

Some might even suggest brain dead....
 Grin
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »

You can just download and install the first CD. Everything on the second CD are just applications you would normally be able to install from the repo. However, the packages on the SOHO CD do not seem to be in the repo yet, possibly because it is still a work in progress and these are txz packages, which the repo scripts don't seem to handle yet.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
caieng

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 03:20:18 am »

Quote from: Joe1962
You can just download and install the first CD.
Thank you Joe.

Is there a list of the current contents of this disk, somewhere?  I ask, because distrowatch's link to Vector shows SOHO from September of 2008, i.e. 16 months ago.

Which version of which internet browser is supported on CD1?  I inquire because I prefer SeaMonkey, and find instead both Opera and Firefox installed, on my current version of Vector 6.0 light live.

I had a lot of trouble installing 6.0 light live, on my old Thinkpad a21, and it still opens clumsily, for I have not yet mastered vasm, to accomplish an automatic login from power on to desktop, bypassing the login/password/startx business....Instead I am still typing the password required for the live cd to function, even though it is finally, installed on the hard drive....

CAI ENG
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 08:24:46 am »

Oh God... we got another one of those "This is not ituitive to me".
You are the one who said it was a waste of CD to burn 2 ISO's for a beta install.
If this is not intuitive to you, why are you trying beta software and not learning with a solid stable release in the first place?

If it bothers you that much, why not just take the release announcement for what it says and 'simply install the first cd only'.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 09:47:50 am »

Quote from: Moe-Inx
just mount the second ISO
That's not intuitive to me.
What does it mean to "mount" a piece of software?  I think of the UNIX terminology, mount, i.e. mnt, as referring to something physical....

Further, how does one "mount" an iso image?

An iso image is kindof like it's own little filesystem. It's not just a "file". To mount the iso into the /mnt/loop directory, use this command as root in a terminal: mount -o loop /path/to/iso/file /mnt/loop

You can then browse to /mnt/loop in your file manager and access the files (which will mostly be packages I think). You can then install them either by right-clicking them and choosing to install them or you can open a terminal at that location and (as root) do: installpkg nameofpackage.tlz

HTH

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
caieng

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2010, 12:53:24 pm »

Quote from: Moe
why are you trying beta software and not learning with a solid stable release in the first place?
Gee, I don't know moe, maybe because I am not very bright.....

Or, (perhaps in addition!) because I have so many "stable releases" which are just pure, utter crap.  If you want a list of them all, just head on over to DistroWatch.  I have a collection of coasters going back to Info Magic (Slackware) from 1995.  There's not a day goes by, that I do not marvel at how prescient Windows 95 was.  I can still install it, and run it, and use it, on my three oldest computers, which date from 1998 or thereabouts.  I can't even boot half of the current Linux distributions, let alone those from 7-8 years ago...

Quote from: Daniel
An iso image is kindof like it's own little filesystem. It's not just a "file". To mount the iso into the /mnt/loop directory, use this command as root in a terminal: mount -o loop /path/to/iso/file /mnt/loop
perfect.  Excellent.  Exactly what was required.....

Quote from: Daniel
You can then browse to /mnt/loop in your file manager and access the files (which will mostly be packages I think). You can then install them either by right-clicking them and choosing to install them or you can open a terminal at that location and (as root) do: installpkg nameofpackage.tlz

Outstanding post.  If only Linux functioned the way you do, there would be so much less heartache and grief.

Thanks for your effort, much appreciated.  Smiley

CAI ENG

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28:13 pm »

Outstanding post.  If only Linux functioned the way you do, there would be so much less heartache and grief.

While I believe the Vector is an excellent distro the Vector community is even better.
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
caieng

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2010, 05:14:48 am »

Quote from: Mike
While I believe the Vector is an excellent distro the Vector community is even better.
Concur, without qualification.

Two problems have arisen with my testing of the SOHO beta2 CDROM #1, installation disk, on four different, old computers, i.e. PIII with half a gig RAM.

First, allow me to attest to the fact that this beta version SOHO installation disk works perfectly, on a modern computer, i.e. 64 bit cpu, 4 gigs RAM, etc....

Second, let me assure the community, that the same four computers which fail with this beta disk, work fine with Vector Linux  6.0 (with KDE 3.x from November 09, and "Lite" from September 09)

The "two" bugs, may actually be only one, I don't know.  The manifestation of the problem is different, so I am describing the situation as two bugs, but maybe there is really only one issue.  I will explain.

Tested it on three different PIII Tualatin (1.4 GHz) computers--three different motherboards, three different dvd writers.  All of them boot Vector Linux 6.0 .  None will boot this disk.  They skip over it, as though it had not been inserted into the tray.

Tested it as well on an IBM Thinkpad a21, which boots Vector 6.0 with KDE 3.x , without problem, but which will NOT boot Vector Linux "Lite" from September 09.  This is a 0.8 GHz cpu.  The response was different on this computer.  Unlike the three other PIII, it did boot the SOHO beta2.  It reached the blue screen (ominous color for those of us with an M$ centric disposition...) upon which Vector Linux was boldly asserted, together with a cryptic message:  Loading Installer.  Well, this was progress, at least one had arrived at the stage where the installation could be envisioned.  However, after a minute of pause, the cdrom tray opened, as if by magic, and the computer rebooted......

I repeated this twice, thinking perhaps it was just a temporary problem due to low battery, even though the external power supply was plugged in....I rechecked the other two disks, Vector Lite (refused to even initiate the boot up), and Vector 6.0 with KDE 3.x, which booted just fine, as always, very dependable.

CAI ENG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: