VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 06:28:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new install hardrive thrashing  (Read 1319 times)
themotorman

« on: December 10, 2009, 06:55:19 pm »

Just installed 6.0 light onto an older laptop Dell 5000 with only 640 K RAM . It installed OK but now the had drive thrashes all the time and everything is taking forever to run. It almost looks like it is an endless loop!
I know this is an old compute but i thought that VL 6.0 light would be OK. What can I do. I hate to toss the lap top and I have taken off the win2000 that was on it.
Ideas please??

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 07:07:57 pm »

I doubt your machine has only 640K of RAM (W2K has slightly higher minimum requirements).

Was it VL Light or "Light Live" you installed?
Can you select "TUI" on boot?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 07:24:20 pm »

I doubt your machine has only 640K of RAM (W2K has slightly higher minimum requirements).

*Slightly* higher? Microsoft says 32 megs is the minimum for W2K. Even Win 3.1 didn't run in 640K.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
themotorman

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:20 pm »

Was it VL Light or "Light Live" you installed?
Can you select "TUI" on boot?

I think it was VL6.0 light . It did run the win2000 Ok although also very slow compared to a more recent laptop. I think that the DEll5000 can only take 512 K of RAM total so may be that's the problem. I did try Ubuntu 9.10 but that has to have a GIG of RAM so it went nowhere .. Is there any Distro of a GUI type of Linux that has less demand son a system? I just need it to do email and browsing and may be open office.
Thank for any advice.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:47:21 pm »

I just checked Dell's Web site and if your computer is a Dell Inspiron 5000, the minimum RAM it can have is 32 MEGS, not 512 K. VectorLinux Light certainly cannot run in under a meg of RAM and I don't think any other Linux can, either.

If you have just 32 megs, Light will run but badly, according to reports on this forum. With 32 megs you should probably forget about a GUI and just run console applications. With 64 megs you'll have more options including a GUI (I think JWM is less demanding than IceWM), but even with 64 things will be slow.

Firefox and SeaMonkey are not going to do well on 64 megs. Dillo would be your best bet, but it is limited in what it can do. There are some lighter GUI browsers but I'm not familiar with them. Opera is thought to be lighter than Firefox, but it still requires a fair amount of RAM. Forget about OpenOffice. It would be unusable on 64 megs. If you really have 32 megs, forget about all of these and be resigned to text programs. Lynx and Links are text-based browsers, there are several e-mail programs, and there are a number of console text editors.

Even Linux can't work miracles.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 05:34:56 am »

I do have a portable with 32 MB of RAM. The best GUI result I got on that one was with DSL and Opera.
It has gotten quiet regarding DSL lately, but it's still available: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
A new distro created by one of the former DSL devs is Tinycore. Give that one a try: http://tinycorelinux.com/

Either way, forget about OpenOffice. It won't work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: