VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 01:09:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 (both Standard and Light) jamming up  (Read 2859 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 07:19:33 am »

You need to supply the full path to the script from the command line,
or, if the script is in the current working directory, add "./" before the name, as in:
./name_of_script

If you map a key combination to the script, use full path:
/path/to/name_of_script
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 09:14:59 am »

What happens with other dialers? Could you try something like wvdial (there is a gui also called pywvdial iirc.) We should know if this is a ppp problem or a dialer problem.

Thanks for replying.

I tried setting up wvdial, but I couldn't even get it to compile properly (you need another package called wvstreams, and I couldn't get get wvdial to compile on top of it). I'll have a go soon.

I've downloaded pywvdial too, which should work on top of wvdial.

There are packages in extra and testing repo

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/extra/libs/wvstreams-4.4.1-i586-1vl60.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/extra/net/wvdial-1.60-i586-1vl60.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/testing/net/pyWvDial-0.5-i586-1vl60.tlz

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 03:34:00 pm »

Thanks again. I've downloaded and installed these packages and tried them out, but I get the same problem I had with ppp-on. When I dial up, all the right sounds are made and I can see the ppp light come on in gkrellm, but there's no result when I try and contact a site; clicking on a link produces the same result as if I hadn't activated the dialer.

Maybe this problem belongs somewhere else, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 11:30:07 am »

Maybe a dns problem? Try ping 72.14.209.104 (google.com) If the ping command runs ok, you can try using opendns as your name server by appending this to your /etc/resolv.conf:

Code:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.222.220

More on topic, even when the connection doesnt work properly, can you turn it off without the hang?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 01:06:15 pm »

Thanks. The ping command appeared to work (though I'm not sure what the result should have been), but using the opendns numbers gave me the same result as before, which was a bit disappointing. Sorry, but thanks anyway.

As for turning off the wvdial command without the hang, it hung the first time I tried it and I'm afraid I didn't bother again (and maybe you wouldn't either if the result was that you had to run e2fsck on the partition as a result).
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:34:27 am »

Thanks. The ping command appeared to work (though I'm not sure what the result should have been), but using the opendns numbers gave me the same result as before, which was a bit disappointing. Sorry, but thanks anyway.

As for turning off the wvdial command without the hang, it hung the first time I tried it and I'm afraid I didn't bother again (and maybe you wouldn't either if the result was that you had to run e2fsck on the partition as a result).

Sure I understand. Looks like this is ppp related. I will try to find a dial up modem and see what can I find.
Sorry it didnt work, I was pretty sure it was DNS related Sad

--
Jumalauta!!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 01:10:52 pm »

Hi again.

I tried wvdial again with the new opendns numbers and this time it did work, I'm posting from it now. Smiley

Sorry about the first time. I'll worry about switching it off later, but I know "killall wvdial" works in Puppy so I may try that.

It may be dns related, only thing is pppsetup/on/off still doesn't work (not that I need it if wvdial works). Thanks for your trouble anyway,

CP .
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: