VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 11:43:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 (both Standard and Light) jamming up  (Read 2918 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« on: December 09, 2009, 08:38:36 am »

I  mentioned this before, on this earlier thread;

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10072.0

It happened again yesterday, but it's not predictable. I went to turn off chestnut-dialer in 6.0 Standard, and thought it had worked. When I came back though I found that the cursor was still stuck on the dialer's "off" button, the time on Gkrellm was still showing the time three-quarters of an hour earlier when I'd tried to turn it off, and everything else was frozen. There was nothing for it but to turn off the whole system at the power switch and start again (which usually means I have to clean up my filesystem when I boot back into it).

I've had this problem a few times in 6.0 Light too, but never in 5.9 as far as I can recall though I've had the "flashing lights" (caps lock and scroll lock) on there (but that's another story).

Anyone got any idea what's going wrong, and how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Colonel Panic .
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 01:48:03 am »

A quick update, since I can see this is puzzling people (33 views and no answers this far); I've found a temporary fix for this problem by using bbkeys to activate the xkill operation (Alt + F2) on Chestnut-Dialer. Brutal but it works.

I think it needs submitting as a bug, since earlier versions of Vector with Chestnut-Dialer (5.8 & 5.9) don't have this problem.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 04:30:35 pm »

Hi Colonel, I really dont know how to help here, but maybe if you run it from the command line you can get some useful error message. I gave away my us robotics 56k to my aunt so I cant take a look myself Sad

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:35:24 am »

Hi, thanks for replying. Sorrry, run what from the command line?

The problem with Chestnut Dialer isn't running it, but stopping it without locking up the whole sysyem. I can be browsing in Firefox with, say, three or four windows open, and when I go to click on Chestnut-Dialer's "off" button the cursor will just stay there and the system will lock up.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:42:00 am »

When you kill dialer, does the modem break the connection okay?
You could map a key combination to this action and make it your solution.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 06:55:54 am »

Thanks for replying. Yes it does (and I can see it's happened from gkrellm). As for mapping the "dialer killing" to a key action, you mean the action of killing chestnut-dialer?

Because chestnut-dialer relies on the mouse to operate and particularly to be turned on and off, the only way
of doing that I can think of is to put in a "kill" command in htop, and for that you need to know what the process number of chestnut-dialer is. If there are any other ways of doing this that you know of, I'd be interested to learn about them as it'd be a lot easier than using xkill each time (and having to locate and raise chestnut-dialer first).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:36:46 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 07:33:31 am »

What I would do, is to experiment some on the command line.
Try "killall chestnut-dialer" and see if it does the trick.
Key mapping procedure depends on your environment or window manager.
Which one do you use (KDE, XFCE, IceWM..)?
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 12:52:46 pm »

I did a tut a while back...
5 ways to kill a process in Linux.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 01:29:50 pm »

Thanks for replying.

What I would do, is to experiment some on the command line.
Try "killall chestnut-dialer" and see if it does the trick.

I will (once I've finished this session naturally Smiley ).

Key mapping procedure depends on your environment or window manager.
Which one do you use (KDE, XFCE, IceWM..)?

Mostly the smaller ones; to save on RAM, I don't use Gnome, KDE etc. I'd probably stick with fvwm if I had the hours it takes to get it exactly as I want, but as it is, I rotate between several; startup in hackedbox and then fvwm (+themes), blackbox, fluxbox, openbox, windowmaker and twm. Icewm and jwm in Puppy, which I also use (just to confuse you).

Most of my keymapping is done through bbkeys now (including a lot of application launching), and I'd like to do the chestnut-dialer killing that way if possible rather than disabling bbkeys just for that purpose.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:44:11 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 01:33:06 pm »

I did a tut a while back...
5 ways to kill a process in Linux.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it soon. All the same I do think this lockup needs reporting as a bug, it shouldn't be happening in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:39:24 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 01:58:12 pm »

I agree that a bug report is in order. Still, it's good being able to work around these issues instead of just waiting for a bugfix to arrive.

I am not familiar with bbkeys, but if it can launch programs, it should be easy to configure to do this task. You can write a tiny bash script and have a key combination execute it.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 07:44:33 am »

What happens with other dialers? Could you try something like wvdial (there is a gui also called pywvdial iirc.) We should know if this is a ppp problem or a dialer problem.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 10:22:53 am »

What happens with other dialers? Could you try something like wvdial (there is a gui also called pywvdial iirc.) We should know if this is a ppp problem or a dialer problem.

Thanks for replying.

I tried setting up wvdial, but I couldn't even get it to compile properly (you need another package called wvstreams, and I couldn't get get wvdial to compile on top of it). I'll have a go soon.

I've downloaded pywvdial too, which should work on top of wvdial.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 06:01:14 am »

One thing I can say, without trying and (probably, if past experience is any guide) failing to compile wvdial, is is that pppsetup / ppp-on/off doesn't work on my machine. It's why I had to give up two other distros I'd tried which rely on it for dialup access; Deli and Zenwalk.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 06:04:53 am »

I agree that a bug report is in order. Still, it's good being able to work around these issues instead of just waiting for a bugfix to arrive.

I am not familiar with bbkeys, but if it can launch programs, it should be easy to configure to do this task. You can write a tiny bash script and have a key combination execute it.

Thanks. killall-chestnut-dialer does work on my machine, so thanks for that one too.

I wrote a simple bash script to use it, but it only works when I actually click on it, e.,g. in midnight commander (after changing the mod permissions); it won't work from the command line in an X terminal.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: