Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Vector 6.0 (both Standard and Light) jamming up  (Read 3521 times)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Vector 6.0 (both Standard and Light) jamming up
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 07:19:33 am »
You need to supply the full path to the script from the command line,
or, if the script is in the current working directory, add "./" before the name, as in:
./name_of_script

If you map a key combination to the script, use full path:
/path/to/name_of_script

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 09:14:59 am »
What happens with other dialers? Could you try something like wvdial (there is a gui also called pywvdial iirc.) We should know if this is a ppp problem or a dialer problem.

Thanks for replying.

I tried setting up wvdial, but I couldn't even get it to compile properly (you need another package called wvstreams, and I couldn't get get wvdial to compile on top of it). I'll have a go soon.

I've downloaded pywvdial too, which should work on top of wvdial.

There are packages in extra and testing repo

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/extra/libs/wvstreams-4.4.1-i586-1vl60.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/extra/net/wvdial-1.60-i586-1vl60.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/testing/net/pyWvDial-0.5-i586-1vl60.tlz
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

Colonel Panic

• Vectorian
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 03:34:00 pm »
Thanks again. I've downloaded and installed these packages and tried them out, but I get the same problem I had with ppp-on. When I dial up, all the right sounds are made and I can see the ppp light come on in gkrellm, but there's no result when I try and contact a site; clicking on a link produces the same result as if I hadn't activated the dialer.

Maybe this problem belongs somewhere else, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 11:30:07 am »
Maybe a dns problem? Try ping 72.14.209.104 (google.com) If the ping command runs ok, you can try using opendns as your name server by appending this to your /etc/resolv.conf:

Code: [Select]
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.222.220

More on topic, even when the connection doesnt work properly, can you turn it off without the hang?
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!

Colonel Panic

• Vectorian
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 01:06:15 pm »
Thanks. The ping command appeared to work (though I'm not sure what the result should have been), but using the opendns numbers gave me the same result as before, which was a bit disappointing. Sorry, but thanks anyway.

As for turning off the wvdial command without the hang, it hung the first time I tried it and I'm afraid I didn't bother again (and maybe you wouldn't either if the result was that you had to run e2fsck on the partition as a result).

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:34:27 am »
Thanks. The ping command appeared to work (though I'm not sure what the result should have been), but using the opendns numbers gave me the same result as before, which was a bit disappointing. Sorry, but thanks anyway.

As for turning off the wvdial command without the hang, it hung the first time I tried it and I'm afraid I didn't bother again (and maybe you wouldn't either if the result was that you had to run e2fsck on the partition as a result).

Sure I understand. Looks like this is ppp related. I will try to find a dial up modem and see what can I find.
Sorry it didnt work, I was pretty sure it was DNS related :(

--
Jumalauta!!

Colonel Panic

• Vectorian
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 01:10:52 pm »
Hi again.

I tried wvdial again with the new opendns numbers and this time it did work, I'm posting from it now. :)

Sorry about the first time. I'll worry about switching it off later, but I know "killall wvdial" works in Puppy so I may try that.

It may be dns related, only thing is pppsetup/on/off still doesn't work (not that I need it if wvdial works). Thanks for your trouble anyway,

CP .