VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 03:59:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL5.9-SOHO-preview fail to get internet through LAN and wifi too  (Read 1395 times)
nooby

« on: December 05, 2009, 01:07:06 pm »

VL5.9-SOHO-preview

Used unetbootin and all went well using an USB 1GB on my new Acer Aspire One D250 but none of the LAN or WLAN did work.

I even fail to know what one are supposed to do to get it working.

EeePC 900 1GB 16GB Vector 7.0 STDGold frugal install.
SnowPuppy 5.0 (Lucid Puppy 513 based)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »

What have you tried so far to get LAN/WLAN working? Have you tried setting them up via VASM?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
nooby

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:37:58 am »

sorry delay in answer. I must have forgot to activate email notification.

VASM? have no idea what that is. Way back it meant Visible Assembler language .

But you refer to something else I guess.

I tried to get things going by clicking on them. But unfortunately I am not used to find what I should click on.

Aah google is of help

The Vasm control panel provides a graphical way to accomplish administrative tasks and open administrative tools in Vector Linux. Control Panel

"VASM" is short for "Vector Administrative and Services Menu" and is Vector Linux's main system configuration tool. This document discusses VASM ...

So what am I supposed to make use of there?

I am very bad at reading manuals. I am a but dyslectic. Words fails me at times. Do you have any suggestion other than tell me to read the manual? My experience is that I never get what they say.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:33:38 pm »

For trouble shooting, the output of running these commands as root from a terminal can be useful:
Code:
ifconfig -a >> log
lspci >> log
lsmod >> log

With ">> log" you can redirect the output of the commands to a file called "log". If you can, transfer that file to a computer with working internet conection and paste the contents here.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nooby

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 01:01:16 am »

Yes I would if I can find somebody else owning an Acer D250 that got Vector Linux to work out of the box.

I none have done this then no need to go through all that trouble to know that one need new compiling or something else CLI thing that is beyond a clumsy noob to do.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:39:14 am »

Try opening VASM, (it will be in the System menu and possibly called Vector Control Center) then click on the Network category on the left. Next, click on Netconf which will be on the right side. A wizard will launch and guide you through the steps to set up a network connection. After you finish the wizard, you should have LAN access. If you also want wireless, click on Wireless which will be just above Netconf. Again, a wizard will launch to guide you through the process.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: