VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 11:31:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free download of full SoftMaker Office 2008 for Linux  (Read 973 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: December 19, 2009, 06:49:02 pm »

SoftMaker is offering a free download of the full SoftMaker Office 2008 for Linux. There is no limit to how long you can use the software and qualifies you for upgrade pricing on the next version. Office 2008 is the current Linux version (2010 for Windows is out and 2010 for Linux will be coming along "soon"). SoftMaker is donating .10 euro to charity projects for every successful download. Details and download link here:
 http://loadandhelp.de/home-en.html

SoftMaker Office is not open source and usually not free (there is a free trial version but you have to pay for the full version). But they're giving it away with this promotion, which goes until Dec. 31, I think. The suite includes the TextMaker word processor, the PlanMaker spreadsheet, and the Presentations program for PowerPoint-type things. The programs can import, save, and export in Microsoft Office formats and are said to have better compatibility with MS Office formats than OpenOffice.org. For some people the best feature may be that SoftMaker Office is very light on the system, opens fast even on weak hardware, and is the fastest and lightest full-featured Linux word processor I've used.

I've been using TextMaker for years, since version 2002, and it's my favorite Linux word processor--which isn't saying much because I don't really like any of them. But of the lot, I like TextMaker the best. It has some quirks that drive me crazy, but on the whole I think the interface is better than OOo's and the program isn't as clunky as OOo Writer and has many more features than AbiWord.

So consider giving it a try, especially if your system labors with OOo.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: