VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 04:07:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from a successful VL user  (Read 1151 times)
Digger

« on: December 09, 2009, 10:20:09 am »

Hey gang-

I've been trying various Linux Distros since 1999 and for one reason or another (usually hardware) it's never worked right. Recently I gave VL light a shot on an old Dell Latitude CSx (P3-500, 192 MB RAM) and it picked up everything flawlessly, sound, video, the PCMCIA wireless and wired cards, the modem, etc.

Given the laptop is all but useless with Win2k or XP on it (I know, I tried) VL was refreshingly speedy on the Latitude. I really like the built-in software packagae to map Windows drives to the laptop (and that's worked like a charm)

So, greetings from a new fan of VL!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:29:10 am »

Hey, welcome aboard.  Looks like you bring a lot of years of Linux experience with you.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:01:39 pm »

welcome to VectorLinux

Linux Registered User #481509.
Digger

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:44:48 pm »

Thanks. I was a long-time BeOS user (used it exclusively on many a computer, got things to work like DVD, wacom tablets, multiple monitors, fun things like that)

I'm no stranger to command line stuff but often questioned why so many things seemed command line only, when a GUI was obviously a better option. Things are improving, but they are not there totally yet.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying working with a system that's not prone to the typical faults of the Main $tream OS out there.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:10:00 pm »

Welcome to vectorlinux. Have you seen Haiku? I was also a beos user for a time but I suppose lack of alot of software (audio mostly) left me going back to windows...

I still play with other os systems but I'm pretty sure I found my home with vector.  My system runs anything, windows programs, linux programs, dos programs, amiga apps or old games, nintendo roms even. I really have no need for another system because of this...

Hope you enjoy your time vectoring...

Steven
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: