VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 11:46:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Linux Convert  (Read 1790 times)
libertas

« on: November 04, 2009, 12:59:12 pm »

I'm a fairly new Linux user (last 8 months) and am currently using/learning both Vector and Puppy linux on one of my older machines.  After a little research, Vector just seemed like the best bang for the buck.  Rock solid stability with its base ties to Slack but minimalist enough to have a lot of bloat removed so as to run fast on old hardware.  Just what I was looking for.

I've tired over the years of the massive bloat and security concerns inherent in Windoze.  As I become more proficient in Linux I hope to severely reduce my overall use of Windoze.

Looking forward to learning more here on forum  Grin
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:18:53 pm »

Welcome libertas.

Hope you find Vector a good fit. Make yourself at home in this friendly forum.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 02:43:45 pm »

Welcome aboard.
Ask anything, this group is friendly. 

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:51:34 pm »

(...)
As I become more proficient in Linux I hope to severely reduce my overall use of Windoze.

Some of us have removed it completely from our lives (at work too Wink )

Welcome

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:04:36 pm »

I keep a windows pc around but I rarely touch it anymore.

My girlfriend who lives with me uses it but I rarely do.

I do have a windows xp install in virtualbox on my vector machine if I have to use anything windows based.
Thats for the few things (sound/video apps and games) that wine does not work for.

I think vector and linux have progressed enough that windows becomes almost unnecessary. I was just at a friends house and he was trying to show me some things and his vista based computer crashed and crashed and crashed. I should say applications did, not the whole machine. Thats microsofts definition of progress on stability... Used to be the whole computer crashed, now just the app your using, with unsaved data crashes.

I rarely have any problems like that with vectorlinux, and when I do, its usually my fault Smiley

Steven

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 07:35:07 pm »

Hello libertas,
                       I don't know anything of this Windoze you speak of. Sound treacherous to me anyways  Cheesy . Welcome to VectorLinux! I look forward to seeing all of your questions being answered by this great community. I'm near certain you will find VectorLinux and this community a lifting experience as you complete your conversion from treachery . I hope that you will come to find this to be like a new home  Smiley
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:46:47 pm »

Hi Libertas,

I tried Puppy Linux on the hard drive -- not what it's really made for, though. But I do carry a thumb drive with a Puppy Linux install. Great for repairing and for booting up Linux when not at home. And I've also installed Puppy Linux on an older laptop (366 mhz Pentium II) that used to run Windows 98. My kids use that.

Vector Linux is great. I've been "testing" it for a couple months -- even loaded Standard on my brother's computer (he dual boots). Now I've just bought the Deluxe version -- not that I need anything more than the Standard version, it's just a way to support Vector Linux. I think this is going to be my desktop OS for a long, long time, though I'm also using CentOS as I need to learn Red Hat.

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 11:42:15 pm »

Welcome Libertas, I hope you enjoy your time here i know I have in the short time I've been back here. 

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: