VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 03:06:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL on an Intel Core2 Duo processor?  (Read 6343 times)
gladeeader02

« on: December 31, 2009, 09:09:48 am »

I am brand new to the Linux world but very excited to be learning about it and becoming active in the Linux world.  I am currently trying to run VL6.0 Light on a Dell XPS M1210 with an Intel Core2 Duo with 1gb or ram and an 80 gb hard drive.  I should have definitely checked the system requirements of the install page before I read all about VL and fell in love with your idea of computing because it is plainly stated that you want a Pentium chip.  Just wondering if I have even a flicker of hope.  I have downloaded VL and burned it to a disc, but the dell won't boot from it, it just says error while loading operating system.  I am fairly sure I burned the VL .iso right, but I very well could have messed it up.  I burned it from a mac using Toast Titanium8 version 8.0.3
Thank you for all your help.

a Noob

edit* I also forgot to mention that the machine currently doesn't have an operating system and VL is the only one OS I'm planning on putting on it, I don't know if not having a current OS changes anything.  also the hard drive has not been partitioned yet.
end edit*
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:20:20 am by gladeeader02 » Logged
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:57:39 am »

Toast won't burn it to  iso as far as I know.  (I never got it to work).....Try using Apples disk utility That's what I ended up doing.  If you need more help post back, I'll fire mine up and give more settings.  Good Luck.

As far as the other questions, no you don't need another OS on there to install vector.  Yes, there's hope. 

EDIT:  Ok just control click (or right click) on the ISO and open it with dick usility.  (I see on snow leopard they've added a new entry to burn it but I can't verify that that works)......I do know burning with disk utility will.  Try burning another copy and let me know. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:04:41 am by Deach » Logged

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 01:13:38 pm »

Your hardware is compatible. Core 2 Duo is "Pentium Class" and more. VL will fly on that machine!  Grin
gladeeader02

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:28:38 pm »

awesome, thanks guys.  So i did burn the disc wrong, thank you so much for the help on the mac side of things.  the install disc works and everything now.  I used the partitioning thing on the linux disc to set up my 3 partitions.  The only thing I'm running into now is it always skips the swap partition install step.  and I would really like to utilize that.  What do I have to do to get that part running.  I have redone things a couple of times now and I got the option to pull up once, but it said the only choice of partition I could use was my home partition which was my largest partition.  So what special thing do I need to do to get the right choice of swap drive up there?  Thank you all again for helping yet another noob into your world.

a learning noob.
gladeeader02

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 02:12:32 pm »

So i just decided to skip the swap partition part for now and I'll redo it later, I just want to see what Linux is like.  so I finished all the install, I answered all the questions I had no idea it was asking me, and it said it was all finished and ready to run, and when it rebooted it just said error loading operating system.  I changed the BIOS back so it boots from the internal hard drive cause I thought that maybe it was just trying to boot from a cd still, but there wasn't one in the drive, and it still said that same thing.  I am just going wait til my wife is ready to leave me alone for a couple house and then I will try again.  So far I think Linux is very hard and complex and that could just be cause maybe VL is a harder version of Linux to install, and my wife hates it so far, cause it has absorbed me for hours now.  Til later.

Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 02:20:04 pm »

Yes sometimes wives don't understand.  At any rate, glad you got the disk burned ok.  That was a mistake I made back in the early OSX days thinking "toast" was the answer to everything (it's good though) but it wasn't the answer to the iso burns.  As far as why it wouldn't take the swap I can't answer.  I know the VL install I did last I goofed something up the first time.  After trying to figure it out a bit I just decided to reinstall it.  Make sure you had the section you're gonna load to marked "bootable" under the flags.  (the mistake I made I found out the second time around)  I honestly don't know the command line way to do cf disk and not sure if after the install you can change that or not.  Keep us posted.  I don't honestly think VL is any harder than most installs but it does have a little more user intervention it seems.  Just keep us posted.  I can tell you that my first few weeks here at VL have been awesome as far as getting help and all.  Whatever you do don't give up, the rewards are awesome once you get it installed. 

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 07:59:00 pm »

I commend your determination. The wife factor is not to be underestimated.

Vector Linux Light is not the easiest distro to start with. It is aimed at low power computers, or power users. It requires some basic Linux knowledge to get going.

Your computer is up to date and powerful. You should consider VL Standard, or the new SOHO beta. They have graphical installers which provide a lot more hand holding than Light does. Their desktop environments also provide automation and tools that would make your transition easier.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 08:07:57 pm »

You might find some answers to some of the questions you are running into here.
It's a tutorial page of video how-to's dedicated to the Vectorlinux installation process.
Video tutorials on the Vectorlinux installation process

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 08:49:07 pm »

Nice link.....I'd have prolly got it the first time had I seen that one LOL.  it's ok though I got it working and it was definitely worth it. 
 Grin

gladeeader02

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 08:29:17 am »

Stretchedthin, those are just the tutorials I needed.  I think i messed with the type of partition I was creating, and it is a very easy fix.  Still haven't tried it but I'm going to sometime today... I hope.  We may be going to visit some family for the new year. Also happy new year to you all and thanks again for all of your help. I'm very excited to get this running.
gladeeader02

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 09:54:40 am »

Just thought I would let you all know I got it up and running and this is being posted from my new VL OS over a working wireless conection and the set up did it all itself.  That really was not that bad to set up once I watched those tutorials.  Thanks again everyone that helped me set this up.  You'll probably be hearing from me lots in the future while I'm still riding the learning curve.  Thanks again.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 11:49:01 am »

Glad to hear, welcome aboard, and Happy New Year to you as well.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 04:19:58 am »

Welcome to vectoring glad you have it working... You will love it trust me.

On the wife thing... My fiancee who lives with me amuses herself by continually asking me what am I doing to the computer now. Yesterday she said
"Do you actually use that for anything like real work or do you just change the desktop around every day?" Later she said "Why do you keep fiddling with that thing if its working?" and "I thought you said this was better because it never breaks like windows, then why do you keep messing with it?".

Yes, truly they just don't understand. Smiley

Steven

hobbes2120

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:14:15 pm »

Hello,
I remember those years of experimentation. Grin Always gunning for the best you can get out of a computer system. One year, I don't remember how many distros I went through but I always came back to Vector. Its nice to hear about people working on Vector with a modern system. Don't get me wrong, Vector is exceptional no matter what system its on. I used it for my eqemulator server with much success. I only had a 500mhz back then but I was able to host 30 people. I guess a lot of us here know that there is much more to computing than what we have learned on other popular OS's which is why we fiddle, lol. It is nice to hear about it working on a Core2 because that gives me hope for my project. Long live Vector.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: