VectorLinux
April 22, 2014, 10:53:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to suspend, HAL unavailable  (Read 3860 times)
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« on: January 02, 2010, 08:28:01 am »

Happy New Year to everyone on the forum.

I just upgraded to XFCE 4.6.1 and it works fine - very nice. One thing I was hoping I'd be able to get working after the upgrade is the suspend-to-RAM function. But when I try to suspend I get a message "Suspend and Hibernate are only supported through HAL, which is unavailable". I don't understand that since I chose HAL over VL-Hot when I installed and it's definitely handling USB drives ok when inserted. Any ideas why it's not available for suspend? I'm running VL6 Gold.

Edit: I told a lie. HAL is (maybe) not working properly. When I insert a USB drive, a window opens to display its contents as usual, but now I notice that there is no icon for it on the desktop and I have to unmount it from the devices applet.

Thanks
Andy
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:44:14 am by Andy Price » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:38:14 am »

Code:
slapt-get -i pm-utils

Make sure the xfce4-power-manager is installed too

Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:30:16 pm »

Thanks. Both pm-utils and xfce-power-manager are installed, though I reinstalled both them and HAL just for luck. Still no joy.

Strangely, when I restarted the computer this morning it gave an error message "XFCE Power Manager: HAL daemon is not running". So I tried to start rc.hald as root but got permission denied. When I checked I found that rc.hald was not executable, so I did a chmod 755 and then restarted the PC. This time no "HAL daemon is not running" error, but when I inserted a USB drive it opened using VL-Hot! So I went to VASM and changed it back to HAL. Now the USB drive opens with HAL (I presume), though I still don't get the folder icon on the desktop. I can (re)start HAL from the terminal now, so it seems to be running, but I still get the "HAL not available" error when I tried to suspend.

Any more ideas?
Andy
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:06:23 am »

Hi

Just a plea for anyone else to jump in on this one. I can continue to live without suspend to RAM, but the missing USB drive icons are a bit annoying. Any idea what I could check next?

Thanks
Andy
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:38:22 am »

only VLhot will give you an icon on the desktop for USB devices.
HAL will only add the entry to your file manager (Icon only shows up on GNOME)

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 07:32:20 am »

Huh Not true here. Any USB (or optical) device that is mounted shows up on the desktop. This is under Xfce 4.4.3 (my attempts to update VL to the 4.6.1 build have been pretty disastrous). This is using HAL rather than VL-hot.

Under Xfce 4.6.1 in Zenwalk, USB devices show on the desktop when mounted as well.

paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 08:16:30 am »

I don't recall if I use Hal of VL-Hot.  But to suspend to ram, I just open a root terminal and type:

hibernate -F /etc/hibernate/ram.conf

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 08:51:00 pm »

I get an icon on the desktop with either VL-Hot or HAL. VL-Hot puts two icons on the desktop: one for the mounted USB device and one to unmount the device. Hal puts one icon on the desktop when the USB device is plugged in (and opens Thunar). I get an unmount option with a right-click on the desktop icon.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 08:33:14 am »

I used to get a single icon on the desktop, right-click for unmount, as GrannyGeek suggests. That's disappeared now I've upgraded to 4.6.1 and I have to unmount from the devices plugin.

John, thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but get this message: "No suitable suspend methods were found on your machine. You need to install a kernel with support for suspending to disk or RAM and reboot, then try again."

uname -a tells me I'm running kernel version 2.6.27.12 which is from the original installation (as far as I know!)

Andy
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 01:51:49 pm »

Do you have ACPI turned on?  It might be off in bios?  I think it needs to be on because from my experience all that suspending stuff is related to ACPI.

John

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 07:10:47 am »

I used to get a single icon on the desktop, right-click for unmount, as GrannyGeek suggests. That's disappeared now I've upgraded to 4.6.1 and I have to unmount from the devices plugin.

That sounds like a problem right there. You should still be getting a desktop icon under 4.6.1. As I mentioned earlier, I had all sorts of strange problems (though mainly video related) with the Vector 4.6.1 build, even though I'm running both Zenwalk and Salix with 4.6.1.

uname -a tells me I'm running kernel version 2.6.27.12 which is from the original installation (as far as I know!)

Wild guess here - part of the upgrade to Xfce 4.6.1 included dbus upgrades and others (can't get at the full list from here). I wonder if the old kernel doesn't like the newer dbus or some of the other updates pulled in when you upgraded Xfce? There are several more recent kernels in the repo. It might be worth your while to download and install one of the more recent ones to see if that helps at all. If you download the kernel and modules, then use 'installpkg' from the command line, rather than Gslapt, you can leave your existing kernel in place. You may have to modify /etc/lilo.conf (not sure, I don't use Lilo) to add the new kernel to your boot options.

paul.
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:03:11 am »

Thanks for the ideas. I've been trying them out.

John, I have experimented with the ACPI and ACP settings in the BIOS now. Nothing worked until I updated the kernel as suggested by Paul for the USB problem. Now if I have APM turned on and set ACPI to S3 instead of S1 the computer will suspend to RAM using your command as root (but not from the logout screen). Trouble is, when I press the power button to wake it up I can hear the hard drive and the fan run, but the screen stays off. I eventually have to shut down with the power button. So, some progress, but not a complete solution yet!

Paul, I installed kernel version 2.6.28.4 and modules, and as you read above it helped with suspend to RAM but not - unfortunately - with the disappearing USB folder. But thanks for the suggestion anyway, I would probably never have got around to trying to install a new kernel if you hadn't suggested it! And thanks to Uelsk8s and stretchedthin for the excellent howto and video tutorial.

Any more ideas welcome.
Andy
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:34 pm »

Andy,

You are way beyond me here, so I will just drop out and watch what others have to say.  I thought ACPI was for laptops and APM for desktops.  Didn't know you could have both. Shows what I know.  Good luck.

John

Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 08:16:32 am »

Hi John. I wish it were true that I knew a lot about this! I thought that ACP was the old system and ACPI the newer one, but my P4 IBM ThinkCentre has settings for both in the BIOS and they are not as independent as I would have imagined. I did do some reading on the net but it was very involved Huh. Perhaps some things are just not meant to be...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: