VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 09:37:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox 3.5.5 in VL6.0 KDE Classic locks on certain sites.  (Read 1455 times)
leobing

« on: January 02, 2010, 01:06:59 pm »

I have a problem with Firefox 3.5.5 in VL6 that it locks up on certain web sites.
My computer is an HP triple core with 3 gigs ram and 640 g hd.
I have installed this VL6 on 5 of my computers and I like it but I a small problem has shown up with Firefox locking on just a few web sites.
One of the sites is a speed check site:         http://myspeed.visualware.com/servers/yvr.html
This is not big problem as I have other places I can go to determine my internet speed.
I just upgraded to 10,000 from 6,000 internet download speed so I don't know if this might be a clue.
If you can send me to somewhere to read for help, I will appreciate it.
Thanks.

LINUX: no virus, no worms, no spyware, so why Microsoft?
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 02:10:42 pm »

Firefox is certainly not bug free. You could try the same site with Seamonkey and see if you still get crashes (it works for me here with Seamonkey 2.0.1).

You could also have a look at the bugs that were fixed for 3.5.6, one of them might cover the problems that you are seeing. Changlist for Firsfox 3.5.6 can be found here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.5.6/releasenotes/#

You can also try 3.5.6 yourself - it is in the testing repos.

paul.
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:11:35 pm »

Seems like 3.5.6 did help on some sites for me.  I don't use it a whole lot cause of the speed of the old box, but hopefully I'll go from 600 mhz to 1000 mhz soon.  I picked up an old base for my old inspiron that still has a good processor and keyboard and such.  I can't wait to try Vector on something a little faster.  I'd try the testing version, it helped me out here. 

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
leobing

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 09:59:16 pm »

Thanks for the replies. I see that after installing Seamonkey that it works just fine.
I tried going to the site in Konqueror and it said there was a problem with java.
Than you for your help.
I will look around and see if i can find some more info on java.

LINUX: no virus, no worms, no spyware, so why Microsoft?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 08:27:05 am »

The site has a java applet indeed. My firefox hanged for about 10 seconds, but it got there eventually. Looks like something is blocking the browser while loading the java application.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: