VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 07:56:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Question: laptop mouse  (Read 2810 times)
#pipe

« on: January 03, 2010, 10:26:51 am »

Hey guys,

I just got a new laptop, Zoostorm Freedom Mini, it has 1GB RAM, and 1.6GHz Intel atom processor.  I previously used fedora 10 (on a different laptop) but thought i would give Vector a try since its smaller faster and the new laptop seemed the perfect opportunity.

I finally got it installed (it has not cd drive) and the mouse doesn't work properly (I am using VL 6.0 gold).  The built in touch pad jumps whenever it is touched, even a light touch makes it jump to one edge of the screen and stop moving and open lots of windows or sometimes switch desktops, it is very erratic.  i did a search of the forums and found someone who had a similar issue with a dell laptop, and attempted their solution, installed the latest synaptics driver and edited the xorg.conf to turn the TapButton option off.  This had no effect, still jumps so reverted back to the old xorg.conf, both configurations allow USB mouse to work perfectly, just not the touch pad.  here is a copy of both xorg.conf that i tried, unfortunately I cant find out what mouse the zoostorm freedom uses.

The original (the one currently in use):

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver     "mouse"
Option    "Protocol" "auto"
Option    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option    "TapButton1" "0"
EndSection

The other config i tried:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier      "Mouse1"
Driver          "mouse"
Option         "TapButton1" "0"
Option         "Device"   "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

I wasn't sure where to post this so i figured that it would fit in with posts for those new to VL.  Thanks for any help, this is really troubling me, i cant use it properly without the mouse. 

Cheers

Martin
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:24:21 am by #pipe » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:38:05 pm »

Bad problem. Someone will probably eventually figure it out and post a response. 

This post, not being responsive, is more a comment.  I have had similar problems on some machines and despite tinkering, rarely seem to get the problem totally fixed.  Now that I am addicted to the T-42s, which have the little red button-mouse in the middle of the keyboard, I just disable my touchpad and use the red button.  Even though the mousepad worked fine on the T-42 I kept hitting it with my thumb causing the machine to do things I didn't want it to do.  So, as mentioned, I disabled it (I think in bios).

If you don't have a red button or don't want to try that if you do, what I would do if I were you (while awaiting a forum response) is to download the latest Puppy, run it in memory, and see if you had the same problem running Puppy.  If not, the puppy xorg mouse settings might be transferrable to yours.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:16:16 pm »

I can't claim any expertise on the subject, but this is what I have in my VL 6.0 /etc/X11/xorg.conf for my touchpad:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
 Driver        "synaptics"
 Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
 Option        "Device"            "/dev/psaux"
 Option        "Protocol"          "auto-dev"
 Option        "SHMconfig"         "true"
 Option        "HorizScrollDelta"  "0"
 Option        "VertEdgeScroll"  "1"
 Option        "TapButton1"  "1"
EndSection

That is for a Synaptics touchpad, may differ for the Alps one.

Do you know what type of touchpad your laptop has?

paul.
#pipe

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 01:20:58 am »

Hey,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately your xorg.conf didn't work either, exactly the same problem.  I havn't tried puppy yet but I know the parted magic live disk has the same issues.  I will try a couple of distros including puppy to see if i can find one that works, thanks for the idea.

Sorry paul I have no idea what kind of mouse it is, i cant seem to find it anywhere :S

Cheers

Martin

EDIT:  I did "cat /proc/bus/input/devices"  and is lists 3 mouse inputs :S  I recognise one as the USB mouse, the other two are a Macintosh Emulator and ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer.  I am asuming my touch pad is the ImExPS/2 as its not a Macintosh, hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:47:15 am by #pipe » Logged
#pipe

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:23:48 am »

UPDATE:  I found a guide to setting up touchpads and followed it, the problem is not fixed but is somewhat better.  If i go slow it works, until i lift my fingure. after i lift my finger i have to tap it before trying again.  Sometimes this stops it shooting to the edge of the screen sometimes not  but its a definate improvement if not entirely useable.  here is what my xorg.conf now looks like:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "synaptics"
Identifier "touchpad"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
Option "RightEdge" "5300"
Option "TopEdge" "1700"
Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
Option "FingerLow" "25"
Option "FingerHigh" "30"
Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.09"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.18"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.015"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
#always usefull
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
EndSection

I hope this helps someone to locate my problem

Cheers

Martin
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »

This won't help if you want to keep the touchpad available, but I got fed up with the annoying, erratic movements if I hit the touchpad no matter how lightly. So I plugged in a USB mouse and disabled the touchpad. Here is the section from my /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you'd like to have a working mouse and disabled touchpad:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier  "Mouse0"
Driver      "mouse"
Option      "Protocol" "auto"
#Option     "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"
Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

You may have more than one mouse listed under /dev/input/, so you may have to experiment to see whether you need to have /dev/input/mouse0 or /dev/input/mouse1 or or /dev/input/mouse2, etc. Once you find the right mousex, it usually comes up the same every time.

I always use a lapdesk with my laptop, so I have plenty of room to use a mouse.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
#pipe

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:00:47 pm »

cheers, i will give it a try.  It's not exactly what i'm looking for as I usually don't use a desk so USB mouse is inconvenient but this will at least help til i can get it working. I have had a good look around and found a few people have similar problems with a touch pad showing up as ps/2, this appears to be particular to laptops of a brand not particularly well known, such as zoostorm and Lenovo, the mouse they use seems to be unsupported by synaptics and as of yet I can't find a solution anywhere, not for lack of trying.

Cheers

martin
#pipe

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 01:50:55 pm »

Got It!  thanks for all the help guys and girls, just in case anyone is having the same issue, here is the xorg.conf that finally saved it.

Code:
Setion "InputDevice"
Identifier "event6"
Driver     "mouse"
Option    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option    "ZAxis Mapping" "4 5"
Option    "Emulate3Buttons"
EndSection

For those who don't know about xorg.conf don't change the Identifier.  The most important line in that is the Protocol and Device, add/change those and this should fix the issue if its the same as mine.

Cheers

Martin
OU812
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 09:37:40 am »

Not sure if it will help, but you may want to visit the arch linux wikis. Enter synaptics in the search field. They have a really good article about setting up your touchpad with two different approaches.

john
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: