VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 02:53:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gnome trash only emptys in xfce.....  (Read 1746 times)
weracemoto

« on: January 06, 2010, 10:03:02 am »

Hello to all and thanks for such a great operating system, I have a newbie question about using gnome instead of xfce for my desktop manager.

To start, my system is a Dell Inspiron 9200 Laptop with a 40GB vector linux drive and 2GB of ram. I have an ATI Radeon M1 Graphics card and an Intel Centrino 1.7 GHz CPU. I purchased the new Vector Linux Standard Deluxe package and downloaded both CDs no problem. I installed and configured the ATI with proprietary drivers no problem and now I have a Catalyst Icon in my start menu. I have been tweaking the system and I love it. I am a pretty capable user and I program PLC, HMI's and build SCADA systems CompTia A+ bla bla bla so I know a little bit here and there but I really don't know my way around Vector Linux from an Administrator GUI point of view.

Okay now for the start of my problem. I wanted to play around to see if I can use gnome as a desktop mgr. I went ahead and downloaded and installed all the packages with slapt-get and intuitively figured out how to point gslapt to my extra package cd. I chose gnome as my default manager and boot up all is good. I had a small problem with the menu loosing icons for the new user accounts I created but found how to get them showing properly again by just un-checking and then checking to show icons for the menu settings.

Now for my problem, when I clicked on my Trash icon and/or Computer icon they gave me the following errors:

Couldn't display "trash:".
There is no application installed for this file type

Couldn't display "computer:///".
There is no application installed for this file type

I believe the trash and computer applets in xfce are somehow still running and/or not letting go and show up in gnome because when I delete something in gnome I have no way to empty the trash unless I switch over to xfce and delete it from the xfce desktop.

My first idea for a fix was to find a way in xfce to delete the trash and computer icons from the desktop and then switch over the gnome as my default and then install gnome icons but I can not find a place to remove them in xfce. Ive tried a few other ideas but no luck and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have had no success searching vector linux forums with the standard search and also using google to search the forums specifically as well as a general Internet google search. I see in other linux forums similar problems but not exactly like mine.

Any help would be really appreciated, even if it is only how to work around emptying my trash in gnome without having to switch back to xfce.

Thx, Rayce
weracemoto

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:33:29 pm »

Im switching to KDE, trying to get KDE4 going......
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »

I don't know if you have seen these, but they may help with you desktop experimentation.
Installing the Gnome Desktop Environment

Installing the kde4.x desktop environment.

and if you want kde 3.5.10 try this one.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
weracemoto

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:45:18 pm »

eeesh thanks for the reply, I'll pick a different drive and see if I can get kde4 going, I managed to get kde3.5 going and all set up and don't really want to wipe it. it seems to be working fine except for not finding any sound adjustability other than the Player Settings - KDE Control Module gui....

I want to try KDE4 on my Dell Inspiron 9700.....

Thanks again,
weracemoto
weracemoto

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:10:09 pm »

thanks for the help stretchedthin but I can't get past this error:

kdelibs4: Depends: libdrm >= 2.3.1-i586-1vl60

It gives me this dependency error when I try to intall kde4-meta. I am using a Dell Inspiron9200 laptop with a Radeon9700 M1 graphics card and each time I am trying from a clean install of VectorLinux Standard Deluxe and I don't even install the Ati Radeon drivers yet. I did let gslapt update though...

I tried a workaround by going to the package CD and using the installpkg command for the kde4 directory and then after all the packages were installed, I used the rc.d/rc.x edit but kde did not show up in the choices for desktop manager after my reboot. I really don't know why kde4 hates me so much.....lol

FWIW... i didn't loose my install of kde3.5 and your tutorial helped me a lot for that install. I have two swap-able drives for my laptop and I use the smaller to test a install before I even think of wiping the bigger. I used your tutorial and then after making it to the desktop in kde I then install the ati proprietary drivers and then start fixing up all the hardware issues (vx nano mouse, usb webcam sound) and lib dependency issues that I can find.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »

Odd, it seems like libdrm >= 2.31 has disappeared from the repositories.

Try this...
ftp://192.87.102.43/vol/2/metalab/distributions/zenwalk/i486/trash/x/libdrm-2.4.11-i686-2.6.29.2_62.1.tlz
Download right click and select install package.  To remove, right click and choose remove package.

Install it first then run the kde4-meta package.

weracemoto

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:00:42 pm »

okay, Ill let you know what happens... thanks so much for the help....

rayce
weracemoto

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 05:05:55 am »

I finally had a chance yesterday and tried again, I found some interesting things out. I did a clean install and I don't think it matters but I chose default custom install instead of full install, then I went to gslapt and added my cdrom as a source along with testing (testing allows kde4-meta to be installed) and did NOT allow gslapt to update (this is what I believe allowed me to install as per stretchedthin's example). Everything worked like stretchedthin's example but when I rebooted and selected kde as a desktop manager, my desktop was a white and gray checker pattern and no task bar or icons. I herd the start up sound as if I am loading the desktop but the rest did not load. This led me to believe my video drivers were needed, so I did another clean installation and every thing exactly the same except I loaded my ATI video drivers before I rebooted to test kde. Well that just gave me a nicer looking set of white and gray checkers but still no functionality....

Not  sure at this point if I need to use a different source for kde4-meta?

rayce

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 10:46:13 am »

Are you doing the part of the tutorial that has you change the default display manager from KDM to GDM?
It's the bit that has you......
nano /etc/rc.d/rc.X
Then change the line that reads DISPLAY_MANAGER=KDM to DISPLAY_MANAGER=GDM

The problem I found is the KDM display manager just will not render properly.

Alternatively, why not help test the new VL 6.0 soho, that will give you the newest KDE 4.x available on VL.
Soho Beta 2.1 disk 1
Soho Beta 2.1 disk 2

weracemoto

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 01:19:47 pm »

>>>Are you doing the part of the tutorial that has you change the default display manager from KDM to GDM?

Sure did, I followed your excellent tutorial to a "T" so to speak. I found the same thing... KDE4 does not know what to do....

My problem happens after all of that and while the desktop is loading. It seems like it is loading fine because at first the desktop seems blurry in the background. Then if my memory serves me correctly a row of small black boxes inside a big box become visible and each box sharpens contrast as the desktop environment loads and right after the boxes go away, the entire screen goes to gray and white checker board pattern. Same thing happend with vesa drivers as well as another install using proprietary ATI drivers.

Oh and I think not letting it update after the installation is why I don't get a dependency error with libdrm....

>>>Alternatively, why not help test the new VL 6.0 soho, that will give you the newest KDE 4.x available on VL.

I'll give it a try over the weekend, I have some PLC programming I have to finish for a client first....

thanks stretchedthin

rayce
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 01:56:53 pm »

There is a newer release for SOHO than what I posted above, check it out here...
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11215.msg71058#msg71058

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: