VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 03:14:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a "Samba id and password"?  (Read 2048 times)
davec51

« on: January 07, 2010, 11:29:39 am »

I'm using vl6.0 light-live, to try it out. Trying to setup my wired network (to a Windows server), I'm getting asked for my "Samba password." I tried "root" and "vector," but that doesn't work. I hope someone can enlighten me on this matter.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:36 pm »

IIRC, If you are trying to access shared files on your windows server, it should be your username and password from the windows box

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:56:45 pm »

If you are using the "Windows Network" in VL 6.0 Light, you can use a blank password. All it does is scan for windows machines. You won't need a real username and password until you acutally connect to a machine, and even then you can usually use username "guest" and blank password.

If no machines show up, there may be a firewall issue. Can you connect from Windows to Windows?
davec51

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:23:25 pm »

Thanks. What did the trick was my Windows computer name and a blank password.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: