VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 11:14:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation problem - Installer halts after trying to detect RAID controller  (Read 2291 times)
3bman

« on: June 27, 2009, 03:32:47 am »

When trying to install VL STD or Light to an old P3 Toshiba Satellite 3000 laptop, I can't get the installer to load. The process just stops. Here are the last 3 lines that appear on the screen:

Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-870
Loading Adaptec I20 RAID: Version 2.4 Build 5go
Detecting Adaptec I20 RAID controllers...

I do not have any SCSI drive or RAID controllers. I have an old ATA HD with 4 partitions:
1-Mint XFCE CE
2-MEPIS
3-empty partition where I would like to install VL STD
4-swap partition

Is there a way to prevent VL from trying to detect RAID controllers that are not there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:52:04 am »

I think that it is just automatically checking for any RAID stuff that might be there. Did you check the md5sum on the iso that you burned to the cd? Are you sure your computer meets the system requirements for whichever version you try to use? I'm assuming you are trying to install VL6 Standard/Light?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
3bman

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 04:33:40 am »

I tried both the STD and the light edition (v6) and the installer stops at the same step. I already checked the md5sum (it's OK) and I have successfully used the same CD on other machines.

The laptop (Toshiba Satellite 3000, P3 850 MHz, 512MB RAM, 40MB HDD) easily meets the VL requirements. I have installed many other distros on this laptop but I am convinced VL is the right one with the proper balance of speed and features.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:47:43 am »

This may be a long shot, but worth a try; a hosted ISO install. Boot into Mint or Mepis, copy the VL ISO to the local file system. Extract from the ISO, or the burned CD, the file /install/vinstall/vinstall-iso to the same location. Then, drop to, or reboot to, init 2 (no X-windows). Navigate to where you put the iso file and run:
sh vinstall-iso name_of_iso
zagnut

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:04:12 pm »

I couldn't see the point in starting a new thread for this, since I am having the same problem.

Trying to load VL6.0 std on an old Gateway 400sd (P4 2ghz, 512 RAM), my installed stopped at
Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-870
Loading Adaptec I20 RAID: Version 2.4 Build 5go
Detecting Adaptec I20 RAID controllers...

Upon trying VL5.9 std, it would fail to continue at
Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724

Same as the OP, I do not have scsi or RAID controllers.
Further research shows that this also affects the following laptops, not just my Gateway 400SD or the OP's Satellite 3000 -
Dell Inspiron 2500
Dell Inspiron 2650

In regards to the install failing at these detections, I found others with the same problem with Slackware 12.2 over at Linuxquestions.org -

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slack-12.2-install-problem-702994/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-installation-40/detecting-adaptec-i20-raid-controllers...-702113/#post3444898

I'm rather new to Linux. Is there any way to omit the detection of these controllers without recompiling the install package?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: