VectorLinux
November 01, 2014, 05:40:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot login. "incorrect username or password"  (Read 14403 times)
notiones

« on: January 08, 2010, 07:49:25 pm »

When I try to login, I get an error message saying "incorrect username or password". This goes for all users.

I have been trying to install Vector Linux Standard Gold 6.0. Everything goes well until I go to the first login, which I cannot do. I set up one user other than root. Root and I have passwords consisting of numbers, letters and symbols. These are not new passwords for me. I have been using them for a couple of years now so I doubt I typed them incorrectly. I have tried writing zero's to the drive and reinstalling, but I always end up with the same problem. I have tried everything I can think of. Even some silly stuff like trying different partition sizes on each installation attempt.

One last thing. I have no idea how long I have had this installation CD. I only know that it has never been used. I also have several different versions of Vector that I have installed without issue. I also do not believe it is the hardware as I have successfully installed numerous distro's on this box.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:59:27 pm by notiones » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:04:16 am »

Probably a little too obvious, but I would check for an incorrect keymap or capslock being on as first steps.

paul.
notiones

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:54:24 am »

Thanks, but one of the first things I did was change out the keyboard and make sure I didn't fat-finger something in xorg.conf.

I do have an idea though and will post the results if I am successful.
notiones

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:33:33 am »

Well, I finally gave up. I did find out that if I used the text installer I wouldn't have any login problems. Unfortunately, I had horrible X problems. This, even after I hand configured xorg.conf (easy peasy). Consequently, I tossed the disk into the trash, formatted the drive, and installed a competing distro. I hope that it was just a bad disk and not indicative of a buggy distro because it seems so right for me. Too bad I paid for that disc. Perhaps, when the economy improves, along with my financial situation, I will buy another disc and try again.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 09:31:03 am »

Sorry, for the experience.  One way you can test out if it was the disk, would be to download the free VL6.0 Standard.  I believe Deluxe and Standard share the same installation options, Text or Graphical.  If the newly downloaded disk installs fine, then I'd assume it was a bad Disk.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 05:22:13 pm »

I have loaded Vector 6.0 standard hundreds of times on probably 70 computers (2 yesterday) and have yet to come upon this user name-password problem, unless I have caps-lock on or don't remember the user-name-password.  I don't think the problem is with the distro.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
notiones

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:15:00 pm »

Sledgehammer, I tend to agree with you. It has to be the disk because I can duplicate it time and time again, and in fact I did. If I had time, I would play with it some more, but as it is I have a couple of firewalls to setup and several desktops in need of repair.
s1wood

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 06:41:31 am »

Hi,

I'vejust burned the VectorLight Live CD and am trying to boot with it. It goes fine till I get asked for a user log in and then a password. I can read, so I offered it 'vector' for both but that isn't accepted. I have tried logging in as 'root' or 'user' but that doesn't work.

What should I be doing?

Susan (first time tryer)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:26:35 am »

Did you try:

username= vl
password= vector

?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
s1wood

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 10:53:57 am »

I just tried that.
It starts Vector Log-in: I type vl.
It then goes to Password: but when I try to type 'vector'nothing happens -no letters appear.

I have also tried vl-live and VL-LIVE as log-ins

Susan
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 10:56:34 am »

You will not see anything when you type the password. That is normal.
Password for both accounts "root" and "vl" is "vector".

The LiveCD usually logs in automatically and boots straight in to a GUI desktop. Which of the boot menu options have you tried?
s1wood

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 12:36:01 pm »

Right,
vl +vector worked, as far as:

You are working as vl
Frequently used programs:
Configuration :vasm
FileManager :mc (press F2 for usefulmenu)
Editor         : mcedit, nano, vl
Multimedia   : alsamixer, play
-bash: /usr/bin/skill: Input/output error
Default X     :startx
vector:/
vl:$

And there it stops. What now?

As for boot options - I didn't see any.

Susan
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:11:51 pm »

If the LiveCD just dumped you at the command prompt, something is out of the ordinary. It probably did not correctly identify your hardware.

It is possible that the boot menu options went by before something showed up on your monitor. When booting up, start hitting an up or down arrow on the keyboard about once a second to see if it appears.

If not, try these commands on the command line:
"su" (enter password vector)
"vxconf" and see if it figures it out
"startx" to start the GUI.
s1wood

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 12:41:09 am »

Well,
I'm finally in. It was strange, the boot kept stopping at different stages, sometimes I got asked for a password and sometimes I didn'tget thatfar before it crashed, sometimes I got a Vector logo screen and sometimes just letters. The problems seems to be choosing a video option - the combinations offered mean nothing to me so I have been working my way through them. 'f' gets me in without a password (it isn'tw orking very well, but that's another problem).
This could be somehing that needs explaining for us newbies.

Thanks for the advice.

Susan

PS I spoke too soon. I tried the same video option and am back to the vl:$ stage.Aaaaaaagh!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:56:07 am by s1wood » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 03:16:26 am »

It could be hard to explain what's happening on your computer. Random crashes and unpredictable behavior like that is usually caused by failing hardware.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: