VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 04:20:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot login. "incorrect username or password"  (Read 12391 times)
s1wood

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 09:18:43 am »

The computer was quite happy with Windows 98 and Puppy Linux is running fairly well.
I wonder about the disc-I have now read that iso files need to be burned at a slow speed. I may just redo the disc and try again.

Susan
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 02:33:59 pm »

just curious....Are you trying to keep windows and dual boot or are you just going with Vector or are you doing something else. Are you worried about losing existing data? If just with Vector 6.0 standard, why not partition your hard drive anew and install VL6?  I don't use the live disk so can't help much there.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 05:01:17 pm »

I'm unclear from the posts whether you are attempting to install Vectorlinux 6.0 standard or light. 
So I'm going to give you more than one link that may at least show you how I go about an install.

For Vectorlinux Standard using the Gui installler.
For Vectorlinux Standard or light using the text installer.

For Vectorlinux light live cd.

Also, if the trouble is related to partitioning you may want to check out this.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 05:43:50 pm »

I would highly recommend burning the disk slower and select the "DAO" mode (although when I do that in my burner SAO comes up).  Anyway I was fighting various burns for a while until I slowed the burning down a bit and then selecting DAO.  I've only had one burn in a LONG time since doing that.  Good Luck.

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
s1wood

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 09:23:00 am »

The disk is empty otherwise -this is my experiment computer - and I could try installing a full version, it'sjust that having already gone to the trouble of burning one disk it seemed simpler just to install from that. Now I have managed to install I can't boot....
I'll go away and read those links before I do anything else.

Susan

PS I am very impressed by the hardware detection, it even copes with the cheap USB hub that my Windows computer hates!
notiones

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 08:04:06 am »

Just an update on my original issue.

Yesterday I finally had time to download and burn a fresh copy of Vector Linux KDE Classic. Installation went off without a hitch and it is running very well on this ancient piece of hardware. I'm more of a GNOME guy, but this is so fast and clean I could get used to KDE in a hurry.
notiones

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 12:54:13 pm »

When I try to login, I get an error message saying "incorrect username or password". This goes for all users.

I have been trying to install Vector Linux Standard Gold 6.0. Everything goes well until I go to the first login, which I cannot do. I set up one user other than root. Root and I have passwords consisting of numbers, letters and symbols. These are not new passwords for me. I have been using them for a couple of years now so I doubt I typed them incorrectly. I have tried writing zero's to the drive and reinstalling, but I always end up with the same problem. I have tried everything I can think of. Even some silly stuff like trying different partition sizes on each installation attempt.

One last thing. I have no idea how long I have had this installation CD. I only know that it has never been used. I also have several different versions of Vector that I have installed without issue. I also do not believe it is the hardware as I have successfully installed numerous distro's on this box.

I decided to try again, but alas, I am still getting this same problem except I used a fresh download and burned a new cd and then installed to a different computer. So, I can duplicate this problem with any burn of VL 6.0 Standard Edition Gold on any computer. The only thing the two computers had in common was that both had Ubuntu installed prior to Vector. Arghhh!

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 04:12:20 pm »

If you are using a home partition are you reformatting it during the install or leaving it the same?  Long-shot but perhaps some of your old Ubuntu setting are being detected.  Also are you using a blank password, capitalization or spaces in your password. (I'm not even sure our installer will let you choose a password like that)  Have not really run into this problem, so I'm just shooting arrows here.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 08:59:55 pm »

The only thing the two computers had in common was that both had Ubuntu installed prior to Vector.

I disagree.  They also had you in common and, perhaps, a common download computer.  You may have also used the same vector installer (there is an old and a new one....I still prefer the old one).

I suggest, using VL 6.0, you reformat the drive on your experimental computer into three (and only three) partitions, a small swap, a 7 g root (make it bootable) and the rest as home.  Except for swap, format them with reiserfs.  After partitioning, reboot and again, to use the old installer, don't forget to type "linux" at the first prompt. When you get to the display configulator, do 8 colors and 800 x 600 for the display.  That has got to work.  If so, go back to vxconf and fix up the display.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
notiones

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 03:56:37 am »

I should clarify that I can install using the text installer without issue. And it doesn't care whether I have formatted the hard drive or not. It is the GUI installer that I cannot seem to make work. I spent about 8 hours on this yesterday doing installs in every possible configuration and completely wiping the drive in between. I never did get it to work using the graphical installer so at the end of the day I used the text installer to complete my final installation. I might re-visit this in a month or two, but for now it is on to other projects.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sonic

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 06:10:19 am »

When I try to login, I get an error message saying "incorrect username or password". This goes for all users.

I have been trying to install Vector Linux Standard Gold 6.0. Everything goes well until I go to the first login, which I cannot do. I set up one user other than root. Root and I have passwords consisting of numbers, letters and symbols. These are not new passwords for me. I have been using them for a couple of years now so I doubt I typed them incorrectly.
Hi, I have the same problem here. I can login as root just as normal, but other users can't login. Also removing the user and creating a new one doesn't work.

I decided to try again, but alas, I am still getting this same problem except I used a fresh download and burned a new cd and then installed to a different computer. So, I can duplicate this problem with any burn of VL 6.0 Standard Edition Gold on any computer. The only thing the two computers had in common was that both had Ubuntu installed prior to Vector. Arghhh!
I downloaded Vectorlinux 6.0 Standard just a few days ago and burned it to a new CD. I didn't have Ubuntu installed, but Linux Mint (LXDE Edition). However, as far as I know Linux Mint is based upon Ubuntu.
Has anyone an Idea how to solve this problem?
Maybe I also have to try text installer, but I don't want to reinstall if there is another way...
notiones

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 09:09:10 am »

I never did get this solved. I eventually downloaded and installed the KDE version and was so impressed with it that it is still on the machine today. It has proved to be bullet proof and very fast on this ancient hardware. Whatever issues I had with the GNOME version are forgotten.
Sonic

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 09:52:40 am »

I never did get this solved. I eventually downloaded and installed the KDE version and was so impressed with it that it is still on the machine today. It has proved to be bullet proof and very fast on this ancient hardware. Whatever issues I had with the GNOME version are forgotten.
hmmm... I also reinstalled VL now, with the oldschool text-installer.
Now I was able to login all users and the system seams to work great... WITH ON EXCEPTION:
the password of root and users remains the same, even if I change it with vasm... any solution for that?
Maybe I should make another topic for that problem...

I'm just sad that now I still can't use the system, even if all seams to work fine Sad
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 10:41:14 am »

Sonic

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 01:23:51 pm »

It worked for the normal user, I will try it for root account tomorrow. Thanks a lot. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: