Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Cannot login. "incorrect username or password"  (Read 16201 times)

Bibby

Re: Cannot login. "incorrect username or password"
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 11:18:37 am »
I have a similar problem. VL 6.0 SOHO was running perfectly until couple of days ago. Now I cannot log in my account. When I try it returns the log in screen. However, root account is working properly. Any suggestions?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »
Try to log in as root. Create a new user and try that. If the new user name works, then something got corrupted in your old user profile.

Bibby

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 02:11:59 am »
Tried that. Same thing as my account. Also tried changing my pass, but no luck. It seems that no other user except root is functional.  ???

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 05:04:06 am »
Can you log in if you boot to text mode?

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 07:52:07 am »
/home may be corrupted, not mounting, or a reference to it may be incorrect. Root's home is /root. Check to see that /home is accessible.

You might also try creating a user and specifying a home directory such as /testuser just to see if that works.
Robert
VL Light RC 1.2

Bibby

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:07 am »
Can you log in if you boot to text mode?
I'll try that.
/home may be corrupted, not mounting, or a reference to it may be incorrect. Root's home is /root. Check to see that /home is accessible.

You might also try creating a user and specifying a home directory such as /testuser just to see if that works.
I can access /home but creating a user with specific home directory didn't cross my mind. I'll see if that works. Thanks.