VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 05:38:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thanks!  (Read 1464 times)
RonB
Vectorite

« on: January 11, 2010, 11:16:10 pm »

Great distribution! I've been "testing" Vector Linux Standard 6 for a couple months now and finally decided it "passed" and have bought the Deluxe version. At first I thought Xfce didn't look enough like Gnome so I tried to change its look and feel -- but then it slowly dawned on me that all of that is secondary to performance and stability. Now I like the way Vector Linux looks and I'm sold on it "as is," especially since I found http://opensourcebistro.com/ and their tutorials (two of them allowed me to install Chrome and update Flash). I also understand Xfce Menu updates, etc., a little better because of what OpenSourceBistro teaches you.

Thanks for a great Linux distribution and all your hard work.

BTW, is there any real reason to install Deluxe over Standard? I basically bought it out of gratitude and as a way to support Vector Linux (a little), but I don't want to miss something important that might be in the Deluxe version. (I'll read up on it a little.)

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:34:52 am »

Welcome!  I suspect you will be very comfortable here.

I have a question.  I have never used chrome.  I have used seamonkey for years.  If you are familiar with seamonkey (lot like firefox), could you comment on the advantages/disadvantages of chrome?

Thanks.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:00:53 am »

I have a question.  I have never used chrome.  I have used seamonkey for years.  If you are familiar with seamonkey (lot like firefox), could you comment on the advantages/disadvantages of chrome?

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome. Part of the reason I like Vector Linux is that it seems like it has very active and friendly user forums. 

As for Chrome, the two main reasons I like it is because it seems faster and it has a simpler (cleaner) interface than Firefox. (I have used SeaMonkey but not too much -- though it seems the browser part of it is almost the same as Firefox.) Chrome doesn't have a permanent bar at the bottom, though status messages show up when needed. So, where Firefox has four permanent horizontal bars/bands/panels, Chrome only has two. I like to get as much of the  webpage on as I can without using Full Screen (which is kind of a pain). Chrome also has some nice little features -- for example, in the navigation bar now the words "forum.vectorlinux.com" are bold whereas everything else is almost grayed out, including the "http://" With a quick glance you can tell what website you're on. Also, if you've got several tabs already open, when you click on a link in the leftmost one (for example), the new tab will open up beside it. It kind of keeps associated pages together. The menus (there are only two of them) are very simple. So, basically, I like Chrome because it's fast and "clean." Even Flash videos (on Hulu for example) seem to load in faster and work a little smoother.

Disadvantages: Some folks will probably think Chrome's interface is too simple -- almost sparse. You're very limited on add-ons and customizations. I don't do much customization in Firefox, so this in not something I particularly miss. Firefox is also a little "prettier" or "slicker" and definitely more flexible. Of course SeaMonkey also has email and newsgroups, which don't come with Chrome. And there is also the fact -- a worrisome one to me -- that Google might be getting too big and by using Chrome instead of Firefox I'm helping build another "Microsoft."

That's pretty much it. If Chrome went away tomorrow, using Firefox or even Opera wouldn't bother me at all. But for now, unless I know for certain Google really is slipping toward the "dark side," I'll probably use Chrome in Vector Linux because it is lighter and faster (kind of like Vector Linux itself). Chrome is not an option on my CentOS box at this time (the basic libraries are not new enough for it).       

RonB
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 03:57:52 am »

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome. Part of the reason I like Vector Linux is that it seems like it has very active and friendly user forums. 

As for Chrome, the two main reasons I like it is because it seems faster and it has a simpler (cleaner) interface than Firefox. (I have used SeaMonkey but not too much -- though it seems the browser part of it is almost the same as Firefox.) Chrome doesn't have a permanent bar at the bottom, though status messages show up when needed. So, where Firefox has four permanent horizontal bars/bands/panels, Chrome only has two. I like to get as much of the  webpage on as I can without using Full Screen (which is kind of a pain). Chrome also has some nice little features -- for example, in the navigation bar now the words "forum.vectorlinux.com" are bold whereas everything else is almost grayed out, including the "http://" With a quick glance you can tell what website you're on. Also, if you've got several tabs already open, when you click on a link in the leftmost one (for example), the new tab will open up beside it. It kind of keeps associated pages together. The menus (there are only two of them) are very simple. So, basically, I like Chrome because it's fast and "clean." Even Flash videos (on Hulu for example) seem to load in faster and work a little smoother.

Disadvantages: Some folks will probably think Chrome's interface is too simple -- almost sparse. You're very limited on add-ons and customizations. I don't do much customization in Firefox, so this in not something I particularly miss. Firefox is also a little "prettier" or "slicker" and definitely more flexible. Of course SeaMonkey also has email and newsgroups, which don't come with Chrome. And there is also the fact -- a worrisome one to me -- that Google might be getting too big and by using Chrome instead of Firefox I'm helping build another "Microsoft."

That's pretty much it. If Chrome went away tomorrow, using Firefox or even Opera wouldn't bother me at all. But for now, unless I know for certain Google really is slipping toward the "dark side," I'll probably use Chrome in Vector Linux because it is lighter and faster (kind of like Vector Linux itself). Chrome is not an option on my CentOS box at this time (the basic libraries are not new enough for it).       

I pretty much can mirror the above comments.  I think some of it may depend on your internet browsing habits just how much it might be worth the install.  I just installed chrome on my VL laptop a few days ago and the verdict still isn't in whether it's that much "faster" than seamonkey.  I really need to test on a device that has a little more resources on it I guess.  You need to make sure if the java stuff is a factor you have the latest version installed and I'd recommend perhaps doing that first.  Other than that, if you're not against a little testing it might be worth a shot I guess for now.  I know in debian we have the "chromium-browser" that isn't supposed to "phone home" as they're saying this one might.  However I'm probably gonna abandon that distro and go VL on my main box here shortly.  Other than that Ron's statement is pretty much what I've found also. 

Ron, welcome to the forums.....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:01:30 am by Deach » Logged

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:22:27 am »

Ron, welcome to the forums.....

Thanks.

RonB
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 03:39:23 am »

Absolutely Ron, welcome to Vector.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: