VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 07:24:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ftp site access  (Read 5417 times)
bujums

« on: January 13, 2010, 01:04:23 pm »

hello, this is not so Linux related but I think this is a great forum...

at my work we have a small ftp site and I have no problem uploading and downloading files. My problem is our customers (the ones that insist on using Internet Explorer) have trouble downloading the files. The industry I am in is not very computer savvy and I can't really tell them to just change there ways...

so my question is: What is the easiest way for people to download those files? Filezilla is fine for me but for those that are not used to looking at something like that it is not a very good solution. I am interested in hearing about application that are free or even if it is an application with a small cost. As my industry moves towards being more and more digital this is going to be a bigger and bigger problem.

PS // the files that we tend to be access are usually PDF and anywhere from 10MB up to 100MB. Too large to email to some clients.

Thanks for your help...
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 02:00:13 pm »

Firefox should work for downloads.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:42:36 pm »

at my work we have a small ftp site and I have no problem uploading and downloading files. My problem is our customers (the ones that insist on using Internet Explorer) have trouble downloading the files. The industry I am in is not very computer savvy and I can't really tell them to just change there ways...

The problem may be with Internet Explorer's security settings. It can be set up to block file downloads. I'm not at a Windows computer now, but if you can't check this for IE, let me know and I'll start up Windows and see if I can find where those users need to change the settings.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
bujums

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:48:38 am »

Firefox, Chrome, Opera all work great!  but most of the companies we deal with will not accept a suggestion like that,  Most of them have no internal IT people on their staff.  And even changing there settings on Explorer is not an option for them.  I was talking to one of them yesterday and they were not even willing to update their explorer to 8 and they were using versing 6!  So I was hoping for an application like FileZilla that was more user friendly (even if it is less powerful).  I think my other option is to have a regular web site, so I can avoid the ftp thing...

GrannyGeek -- no need to subject yourself to windows if you don't have to   Cheesy  !!
bujums

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:52:13 am »

... GrannyGeek,  what does it mean,   "registered Linux user..."
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:38:10 am »

If you can't get them to use Firefox, an FTP client would probably be even harder to push.

You can have the directory accessible using both ftp and http at the same time.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:26:58 am »

What about a VPN ?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
bujums

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 02:46:21 pm »

I will look up the VPN thing... 
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 07:35:59 pm »

... GrannyGeek,  what does it mean,   "registered Linux user..."

There is a Web site called The Linux Counter ( http://counter.li.org/ ). As the Web site explains:
"The Linux Counter is started as a 'for fun' project to find out how many Linux users there are worldwide. The basic idea is for people to register themselves as being a Linux user. Of course, this way you won't get all Linux users counted as not every Linux user will register himself at the Linux Counter site.
Thus, the only way to 'know' the number of Linux users worldwide, is to make a guess, preferably a not-too-wild guess of the number of Linux users. Not making wild guesses there is only one way to go: statistics.

"So, the main purpose of the Linux Counter is to deal with statistics on all kinds of numbers related to Linux usage. It started with statistics on the number of Linux users and it extended to statistics on Linux users, the machines they use, software they use and in what part of the world Linux users are actually living."

It's mostly a fun thing, as obviously most Linux users have not "registered" with the site and many Linux users don't even know it exists. When you sign up, you get a number as a registered user. I like to use it in a signature because it gets the word "Linux" out there. Many computer users have never heard of Linux, or if they have, they don't know anyone who uses Linux. A few who see your sig will ask about Linux and this gives you an opportunity for a brief, non-pushy plug for our favorite operating system.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:01:16 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 07:45:41 am »

Opera Unite's File Sharing feature could be useful.  It simply requires that the server be able to have Opera running as a process, and that someone on the server side register for an account.  After that, it can be used as general file storage for client files.  If you're concerned with clients only being able to access their own files then you could password protect zip files.

The customer would then simply have to navigate to a web address (e.g. http://home.testing.operaunite.com), click on 'File Sharing', enter a password and they would be presented with files for download. The files could be filed into subdirectories even.

Again, the leg work takes place on the server side. The customer can use any browser to access the site. And it only require that they have one or two passwords.
bujums

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 07:19:32 pm »

newt --  the Opera Unite thing sounds very interesting.  I am not sure it I can use it on the ftp site I am using as it is provided to us by our Internet provider as a free service, but I will check into the Opera Feature. 

GrannyGeek -- Thanks for the info on the Linux registering thing.  Sounds like fun, I will have to do that!
bujums

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:51:23 pm »

Hay!! I found a very simple solution!  I started a gmail account for my company and I am using the documents feature.  So now I can upload my PDF files and then share them with someone.  They can use any browser to retrieve the file, plus it should be really easy for even non computer people do... so simple.  I love Google!

I did sign up as a Linux user, I am user 503183.

I still plan on checking out the Opera feature!

thanks everyone
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: