VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 08:00:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20100114 pidgin-2.6.5 [VL6.0]  (Read 1447 times)
toothandnail
Vectorian

« on: January 14, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »

hata_ph has built a new Pidgin package for VectorLinux 6.0.

Code:
pidgin: pidgin (multi-protocol Instant Messaging client)
pidgin:
pidgin: Pidgin is an instant messaging program for Windows, Linux, BSD,
pidgin: and other Unixes. You can talk to your friends using AIM, ICQ,
pidgin: Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC,
pidgin: Novell GroupWise Messenger, QQ, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE,
pidgin: MySpaceIM, and Zephyr.
pidgin:
pidgin: License: GPL
pidgin: Authors: Sean Egan
pidgin: Website: http://www.pidgin.im/

After testing this package please stop back here and let us know how it works for you.

Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:05:02 am »

Hi. When I went to upgrade pidgin via gslapt I noticed two dependencies, gst-plugins-good and gst-plugins-bad. Seeing the word "bad" got me worried so I looked it up and the gstreamer web site says "GStreamer Bad Plug-ins is a set of plug-ins that aren't up to par compared to the rest". I installed pidgin and gst-plugins-good manually and pidgin seems to work fine, so I wonder if it's necessary or even a good idea to install gst-plugins-bad?
Thanks
Andy
hata_ph
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:50:55 pm »

gst-plugins-bad is require for video and talk support which pidgin have newly implement. I and budulay have try to test it but due to I don't have a webcam, maybe for tester which have a webcam can test the voice chat option of pidgin out.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:34:30 pm »

hata_ph:
I just got a new laptop, with webcam and all, so if you want we could test it again. I think the problem we had with me not being able to hear you was because there was something wrong with my old computer and not the pidgin.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
hata_ph
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:10:44 am »

Sure. Let me know when you are free.... Smiley
hata_ph
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:18:18 pm »

Just now have tested voice chat for google with budulay and I can heard his voice. If all work well, maybe I will test it again with the gst-plugin-bad package.

PS: For any tester that have webcam, maybe you can help to test the voice/video chat for pidgin..thanks
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 08:26:48 am »

What chat (ex yahoo, aim or what) are you guys using for video.  I don't have a linux box with a cam but have an apple that does.  I'd gladly help on AIM test from teh apple if that would help you to see if your stuff is going or now.  I think AIM is the only medium supported on the apple right now for video (other than skype). 

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:08:20 am »

It's gtalk.
Also even if you don't have a camera, but are able to test the audio part that would be really helpful.

The results as of right now are:
hata_ph can hear me loud'n'clear, but for whatever reason I hear lots of noice and his voice doesn't sound too good at this end.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 09:41:44 am »

I didn't even know voice or cam was an option on gtalk.  I''d love if even you could honestly transfer a file there.  At any rate.....let me see if I can dig out a microphone somewhere.  The only computer I have VL installed on is the laptop I have listed so I hope it's got the horsepower for it.  I'll be on that machine here later this after noon here in the US...(not sure where you guys are).  I'd loveto help though if I could.

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: