VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 03:35:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20100118 wicd-1.7.0 [VL6.0]  (Read 2764 times)
toothandnail
Vectorian

« on: January 17, 2010, 04:33:16 pm »

toothandnail has built a new Wicd package for VectorLinux 6.0.

Code:
wicd: wicd (network manager for linux)
wicd:
wicd: wicd is a wired and wireless network manager for Linux.
wicd: Some features include:
wicd:  - Ability to connect to wired and wireless networks
wicd:  - Profiles for each wireless network and wired network
wicd:  - Many encryption schemes, some of which include WEP/WPA/WPA2
wicd:  - Compatible with wireless-tools
wicd:
wicd: Homepage: http://wicd.sourceforge.net

After testing this package please stop back here and let us know how it works for you.

budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:27:39 pm »

Hi

Thank you for updating wicd.

However, there seem to be a problem(at least here with VL light 6.0)

After a reboot(without it it won't start at all) the icon is missing and the gui won't start. However, the wicd itself seems to function alright(aside the fact that I never saw the gui) and connect me to my wireless router(it was set to automatically connect).

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »

That would be a quirk in Light. The start scripts were modified to not load wicd unless manually launched. I'll look into a workaround.
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:45:55 pm »

I wasn't aware of that. I've not tried the new version in Light.

What may be of some interest is that the new version includes a cli version. I've not tried it either, but it may be well suited to Light.

paul.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 07:03:32 pm »

Sorry about the delay regarding the issue with Light and wicd.

To fix the problem in Light, open your ~/.icewm/update-icewm-menu.sh, find the line that mentions "customized entry for wicd..", and comment out the next 4 lines. Now run Start > System > Update Menu, and select the "start from scratch" option.

When you do this, you will lose the option of launcing the wicd daemon from the menu entry. It will need to be started from a startup script like rc.local or from /etc/rc.d/init.d. To regain this, I will need to come up with an update for Light. Maybe it's time for a service pack?
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:41:28 pm »

In this version the launch command was changed to wicd-gtk.
I think I was trying to launch it with old wicd-client command. It works great now with wicd-gtk.

nightflier, I tried what you wrote, and wicd is no longer in the menu. However, I am launching it from wbar with no problem(using wicd-gtk). Therefore I don't see why there should be a problem launching it from the menu wih the same command.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:12:10 am »

After editing the script as I outlined, you should get a different wicd entry on the menu with the new launch command.

I may have gotten a little too "clever" to accommodate wicd into Light. The hack was introduced to force a start of the daemon when the client was called. As long as the daemon is started from init.d or similar, the launcher works fine. Still working on it.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 02:51:46 pm »

after a reboot it showed up in the menu with the correct execution command.

now it's all good Cheesy

thank you.

tbrown

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:51:20 am »

I'm running an up-to-date patched 6.0 Standard Final built on Feb-16-09. My current version of wicd is wicd-1.5.9-noarch-1vl60.

wicd-1.5.9-noarch-1vl60 [inst=yes]: ED: python >= 2.5.2-i486-1.

I've tried to update to your new wicd package (1.7.0-i586-1vl60) with slapt-get, but there is an unmet dependency with python >= 2.5.2-i586-2vl60.

root:# slapt-get --upgrade
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Excluding vcpufreq, use --ignore-dep to override
    Excluding wicd, use --ignore-dep to override
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      vcpufreq: Depends: gambas-runtime >= 2.15 | gambas >= 2.15
      wicd: Depends:   python >= 2.5.2-i586-2vl60
    The following packages have been EXCLUDED:
      vcpufreq wicd
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

Where are you getting your python package? Which version of VL is your wicd packaged for?

Tom
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 06:28:03 am »

tbrown,

it looks like python 2.5.2 is in the 'testing' repository so you'll just need to enable that repo in your /etc/slapt-get/slaptgetrc configuration file.  The path I reference may not be correct as I'm going off of memory, but it's close.
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 07:17:31 am »

tbrown,

it looks like python 2.5.2 is in the 'testing' repository so you'll just need to enable that repo in your /etc/slapt-get/slaptgetrc configuration file.  The path I reference may not be correct as I'm going off of memory, but it's close.

You're right, it is. My error - I moved wicd to patches, but missed picking up the later python build when I did so.

I'll move it when I have a real internet connection again.

Paul.
tbrown

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:24:22 am »

Enabled testing repo, upgraded python, upgraded wicd and disabled testing repo. New wicd works fine so far and sees more access points in my neighborhood than before. The final test is the St. Joseph County public library main branch which runs an Apple network that is hit and miss for VL 6.0 Std and previous version of wicd.

Tom
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 09:36:12 am »

Just putting some things together for Light users trying this upgrade.

If you install this package, the menu entry for wicd stops working. If you update icewm menu, you get two wicd entries, but only one works:
To fix the problem in Light, open your ~/.icewm/update-icewm-menu.sh, find the line that mentions "customized entry for wicd..", and comment out the next 4 lines. Now run Start > System > Update Menu, and select the "start from scratch" option.

When you do this, you will lose the option of launcing the wicd daemon from the menu entry. It will need to be started from a startup script like rc.local or from /etc/rc.d/init.d.

The point-and-click way to set up daemon launch from init:
Start > System > VASM > SUPER > SERVICE > SRVSET > 4 > select wicd, click ok

If you'd also like to use wicd in text mode (see above post about added CLI), also do   (. . .) > SRVSET > 2 > wicd
Naturally, you could start the daemon or wicd from a text mode session, but you'd have to suid root to do so if the daemon's not up.

After following these instructions, the menu launcher works as previously (but the daemon part starts in init). Those not wanting wicd in icewm's tray can stop here.

To put wicd in a user's icewm tray also (it has an active connection meter  Wink), edit $HOME/.icewm/startup and add this near the end:
Code:
sleep 2   # This line is optional and usually not needed
wicd-gtk &
Wicd-gtk in this package starts in the tray by default. The menu entry uses the --no-tray flag.

A problem has been mentioned in the forums, previous to this package, that wicd stops working on reconnect, but that the problem ceases after several uses. Installing the new package starts the trouble again. Annoying, but it does go away.

To regain this [ daemon startup using menu ], I will need to come up with an update for Light. Maybe it's time for a service pack?
A very similar, probably identical problem has been mentioned in the SOHO Beta 4 bug reports. It may not be just Light anymore.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: