VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 09:56:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Finally working]GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300 GN-WS30N-RH wlan(Ralink rt2860)  (Read 2687 times)
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« on: January 18, 2010, 01:40:13 pm »

Hi
Couple weeks ago I bought a new laptop, and put a Gigabyte ws30n wireless card in it, since oxfordtech.com said it is supported in linux.
Well, this card kept me busy for a week. I tried ndiswrapper(the win xp driver is caller rt2860 and could be downloaded from the Gigabyte website), without much luck. It kept freezing when trying to connect to my wireless router.

This card is based on Ralink RT2860 chipset, so I decided to try their drivers(version 2.2.0.0, could be downloaded from the Ralink website). While they do have opensource drivers for this card, they are rather outdated and only compile with 2.6.29 kernels and older.

At this point I was almost ready to give up. Hovewer, I thought I would check maybe it would work in other distros. I installed ubuntu and sure enough the card worked out of the box. I was almost ready to cry.
It was using rt2860sta module. After comparing ubuntu and vector kernel config files I found that the staging drivers for this card were disabled in the VL kernel.

After that it was just a matter of enabling them:
Device Drivers ---> Staging Drivers --->uncheck Exclude stading drivers from being build
Device Drivers ---> Staging Drivers --->check Ralink 2860 wireless support

After compiling the kernel, the module loaded without problems and the card worked flawlessly ever since. Cheesy

Note:
I also run into a problem with wicd - it was stuck on "Obtaining IP Adress" and not connecting to my 2wire at&t router
What solved it is changing WEP(Passphrase) to WEP(HEX) in the advanced settings.

Second Note:
lspci output for the card:
Code:
03:00.0 Network controller: RaLink Unknown device 0681

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: