VectorLinux
April 20, 2014, 01:42:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL - Good for compiling??  (Read 653 times)
Cepo

« on: January 23, 2010, 05:31:52 am »

Hi. I am using VL 5.9.1 SOHO one month and I am really happy with this distro. Before I had PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu and Debian.
But I love KDE.  Smiley I have some programs that I cant find in repositories - UFraw, Rawstudio or SIM (alternative to ICQ) because
pidgin dont works me. I was compiling this software without any problem or dependencies. AMAZING. In other distro, I couldn't
compile this software, because it was missing dependencies or some errors. Why is compiling so easy here? I compiled
more programs that I didn't found in repositories. Is this distro based on Slackware and other distro as Slackware more better
to compile software,or, why is compile here so easy???
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 05:56:07 am »

There are some reasons why is it usually so easy to compile software in VL.

1) Packages aren't split in X and X-dev.  In debian and ubuntu (don't know for pclinuxOS) packages are splitted in two variants, the binaries and the libraries,headers,etc.  If you want to compile something that relies on any other software, normally, you need the dependency headers, or libs.  In debian and ubuntu, you need the dev packages of all your deps.  Here, the packages are installed with all dev things.

2) VL comes with most compilers and toolchain by default.  I don't have to install binutils, build-essential,... anything.  kernel headers are installed by default (unless you say so at install time), so you can start programming from the first minute, use gcc, make, link to X11 libraries, etc.

3) You're lucky.  Yeah, theese reasons do not make a 100% success.  There are things that have to be installed previously to compile some other apps.

That is one of the reasons I love VL.  It just gets out of my way, and lets me do what I want without whining about things that I don't want to be bothered about.

HTH
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:53:03 pm by kidd » Logged

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:20:39 am »

I've only rarely had problems compiling software on VL.  When I have had problems, it's almost always been because the source package was some kind of non-standard thing.  In addition to that, there is a request forum for packages, and the packagers here do a great job.  In addition to that, it is often possible to install software packages intended for Slackware on VL - though I think this is only a good idea for applications (not libraries, etc.).

All of this makes for a great variety of available software, one of the many reasons I love Vector Linux.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Cepo

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:56:10 am »

Really thanks for your answers, I stay on this distro, dont need other, this is perfect Linux for desktop.  Wink Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: