VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 06:10:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting cdrom  (Read 712 times)
battleship

« on: January 20, 2010, 10:08:26 am »

Hi I'm having a problem mounting and unmounting my cdrom. Here's what's happening I want to copy some files from some cds to my home partition and my cdrom will mount some times and I can see the files I wish to copy great. But some times the drive seems to be mounted but won'taccess the files, other times I get "No media detected" message. And once mounted I get "device Busy" message when trying to unmount. I know it's not HDW or media related Since I am able to complete all of these actions using a Slax live cd with no problems. My fstab file appears normal so I'm unsure how to find out  the solution. Huh
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:57:21 pm »

Hmm... I suppose it could be a hardware problem. One thing you can try for a software solution however, is to open VASM (Vector Administration System Menu) and then go to Utilities, then click on Mounter (I *think* it's in Utilities). There you will have an option to use VL-Hot or HAL for mounting. The difference being that VL-Hot puts less drain on system resources but HAL auto-mounts things. You are probably using VL-Hot (by default). You might try using HAL and see if anything changes. Also, I think that if you just push the button to open the cd tray, it should unmount the device. HTH

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:33:15 pm »

I've seen the message that the device is busy before. What that means is that there is a program open that is accessing the data on your cdrom. What might help is closing the filemanager you've used to access the files. Also the no medium message might mean that the cd haven't been recognized yet. Just wait for a few seconds and try to mount it again.

HTH

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
battleship

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 08:23:42 am »

Well I got it solved sort of I couldn't resolve the problem w/cdrom. It just refuses to mount so I just uncomented the cd writer and added it in fstab and  added it to mtab. thats working fine but I still would like to figure out why cdrom isn't working this only occurrs with vector that I get the no media msg it works fine using a live cd. Possibly a driver issue? Ive tried most of the options but still not getting any where.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 04:48:04 pm »

You could check encodings and permissions.

Could you post the whole line that describes cdwriter and the one for cdrom from fstab?

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: