VectorLinux
August 30, 2014, 06:14:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Next version of VL  (Read 4463 times)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« on: January 20, 2010, 09:20:29 pm »

Is the next version of VL coming soon? I heard some rumor in other thread saying VL7 is soon to be release on this end of Feb, is that true? I can't wait for it... Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:14:48 pm »

Is the next version of VL coming soon? I heard some rumor in other thread saying VL7 is soon to be release on this end of Feb, is that true? I can't wait for it... Smiley

If we're thinking of the same thread, I didn't take it to mean VL7 will be released in late Feb. I thought the meaning was that VL7 packages will start appearing in the repo at the end of Feb.

Since I haven't seen mention of even a public alpha of VL7 Standard, I can't imagine it will be ready by the end of Feb. We would surely have betas and release candidates first, don't you think? Maybe VL6 SOHO will be out and maybe it will be called VL7 SOHO because of all the updates.

I'm wondering how things are going with SOHO, though, because we haven't had a new beta or RC announced for several weeks and I KNOW all the bugs weren't out of the last version, particularly with the installer.

Time will tell. I am not an insider.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:35:06 am »

Thanks for the clarification. But I do hope there will be a new version of VL coming out soon. Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:55:38 pm »

Thanks for the clarification. But I do hope there will be a new version of VL coming out soon. Smiley

SOHO Beta 3 is out today! I've burned the two CDs and will install on my test computer tomorrow.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
arundracula

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:01:26 pm »

What are the new features in SOHO-6?

Automatic updates
Media Center (like XBMC)
etc...??

Re-installing is not a problem, but it is when I had to.
schmatzler

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 02:53:46 pm »

Will there also be a KDE Classic version again? Smiley

There are still svn commits to KDE3, but no one makes a new version.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 07:08:30 pm »

There is a new Live verson of KDE Classic (beta): http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11604.0

I personally still use KDE3 and would like to make another Classic version based on the next VL base. So maybe probably. It will be separate from Standard and SOHO.
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 07:02:53 pm »

There is a new Live verson of KDE Classic (beta): http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11604.0

I personally still use KDE3 and would like to make another Classic version based on the next VL base. So maybe probably. It will be separate from Standard and SOHO.

yes. I still prefer KDE3 over 4. i really wish KDE didnt go the "plasma" route with 4.

Linux Registered User #481509.
schmatzler

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 02:03:29 pm »

I just found this project page:

http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

A continuation of KDE 3, named Trinity Desktop Environment. The latest KDE 3 Version was 3.5.10, Trinity continues with Trinity 3.5.11 Smiley

Yeah, to see this in Vectorlinux (even as unofficial packages) would be very nice  Cool
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 02:06:55 pm »

I just found this project page:

http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

A continuation of KDE 3, named Trinity Desktop Environment. The latest KDE 3 Version was 3.5.10, Trinity continues with Trinity 3.5.11 Smiley

Yeah, to see this in Vectorlinux (even as unofficial packages) would be very nice  Cool

Nice find. Really seems like an ideal way to continue the future releases of kde-classic.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
schmatzler

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 02:12:56 pm »

I hope you will be able to integrate this Smiley Its  much of  knowledge needed for compiling KDE - I'm afraid I can't handle this myself  Wink

Looks like its even hosted on the  KDE SVN - as "semi-official".
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 08:50:31 pm »

I came here today expressly to make sure that The Vector Linux community is aware of the Trinity project, because I know of no other distro that is as well situated to give users the option of sticking with KDE3.5.  Timothy Pearson (AKA "Mad scientist" has been stubbornly working to keep KDE3 alive, but without the help of some plucky little distro to buck the trend, it's never going to amount to much.   And that would be a shame, because the users are out there.

Personally, after a whole lot of griping, I like KDE4.4 just fine in my Slackware and Kubuntu systems, but with my older machine, I still enjoy using Konqueror 3.5 as the default browser with Vector Light, the one that I open with that icon on the ICE WM desktop.  Of course, it's not just a web browser, it's a powerful and configurable Desktop GUI.  In KDE4.4, Konqueror is starting to get back some of its former awesomeness, and beyond.  With plugins, Konqueror  can now do bulk renaming and even (dramatic pause) basic text editing.  But it's still not as agile as Konqueror 3.5.  If you want to use it as a file manager, you have to get it into file manager mode.  I'll do this by opening Konqueror with a file path, ususally just " /  " It's just a little hiccup, hardly worth mentioning, but I do enjoy the seemless feel of getting back to the classic Konqueror.  Nevertheless, I'm a KDE4 user now, but I'm sensitive to the fact that, even after all this time.

AT last, I have learned to love KDE4, but that's after two years of frustration and angry forum posts.  KDE4 is amazing, really amazing, and it's getting quite stable, but it comes with such a wilderness of possible configurations that you can really spend a couple of years trying to figure out how to use it, like I did. 

For those who know what I'm talking about, I think KDE does everyone a disservice by using "Desktop" as the default activity instead of the more familiar "Folder View" activity.  That would give users a more recognizable desktop to start with, and a chance to discover the amazing and truly wonderful possibilities over time.  Certain LIVE distros, e.g. Sidux, Mepis, and PC Linux OS, have taken it upon themseles to release KDE4 with Folder view as the default for the live CD user, and it really does make things easier.

My point is that I have come to regard KDE4 as well worth the effort in my case,  but it was a LOT of effort, and for some people the whole idea of gui is that it's not supposed to have a leraning curve.  After all this time, KDE3 still has its followers.  All these people want is what they already have.  That's not a lot to ask.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 08:54:49 pm by blackbelt_jones » Logged
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 11:40:46 pm »

I still rather have KDE3 over 4. as my choices for desktops goes

KDE3
Gnome
LXDE

I tryed playing around with Kubuntu 10.04 for about a week. just to see if I changed my mind of 4, and I havent.. Ive seen a little improvement, but its still not to my liking and prob never will be. so Once KDE3 is totally gone ill end up prob a gnome user.

Linux Registered User #481509.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 02:56:10 am »

I've grown to like KDE4. There were a few frustrating moments when I discovered behaviors that were different from KDE3, but at this point, I like it.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: