VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 10:25:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SeaMonkey Upgrade 2.0 is a downgrade....  (Read 1221 times)
Stevo

« on: January 21, 2010, 12:33:01 pm »

When you install VL 6 you get Seamonkey 1.14.

This version 1.14 works perfectly under VL 6.0 and what is more has a number of themes including Eurynome (the default theme).

Gslapt prompts you to install the new Seamonkey 2.0.2  (By the way you have no choice to deselect this as an upgrade from the others that are offered).

Seamonkey 2.0.2 has less themes to offer than 1.14 and doesn't have the Eurynome theme.

So all in all, SeaMonkey upgrade 2.0 is a downgrade, so stick with what you've got Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 12:43:58 pm by Stevo » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:15:43 pm »

Not exactly. There have been a number of security issues solved between 1.1.4 and 2.0.1. Using the older version constitutes a significant risk to the health of your system.

As to themes, the 2.x.x versions are significantly different to to the 1.1.x versions. There are a number of things, including extensions, that have not yet been upgraded to the newer versions.

BTW, clicking 'mark all upgrades' in Gslapt and then letting it execute with the test repo enabled exposes you to the risk of system breakage - that is why it is called testing. While it is something of a pain, I would suggest that you select 'mark all upgrades', click execute, check what is to be installed, and then use Edit > Unmark All, then select the items you want individually. Its a lot safer when dealing with test software. Its a pity Gslapt doesn't allow individual packages to be deselected - maybe it should be requested as a feature to the author.

paul.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:28:52 pm by toothandnail » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:05:28 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by being unable to select individual packages. I do that all the time. Just right-click on a marked package and choose Unmark from the right-click menu.

I don't know if this applies to that Automatic Update Notification thingie.  That's always one of the first things I get rid of when I install VL. I run Gslapt myself and have no problems selecting or unmarking any packages, updates, etc., I want.

Updates for any browser generally include important security fixes and I don't think they should be ignored. Likewise for Flash and Adobe Reader. Both are easy to install yourself, without a VL package, and both Flash and Reader have a history of security issues that the update resolves (until the nest issue surfaces, that is).
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: