VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 09:07:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux SOHO Beta3 bug reports and suggestions  (Read 17167 times)
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 08:55:00 pm »

No comment.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:12:26 pm by prince » Logged
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:13 am »

No comment.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:14:18 pm by prince » Logged
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 06:39:35 am »

No comment.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:16:41 pm by prince » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2010, 09:50:54 am »

I guess boot times are in the eye of the beholder. My systems are always on thus boot times don't mean squat in my sphere. Sure, I occasionally need to reboot a system but that just means I'll have 30-70 seconds of complete downtime out of weeks of uptime.  In a server setting this may not be acceptable but in a desktop setting this is completely reasonable.  Of course, the users hardware is going to affect those boot times (generally, the newer the system the faster the boot).  If there were such things as instant (or very quick) boot times with equivalent hardware identification and such at the point you reach a usable desktop, it would be grand, but most options sacrifice something (usually hardware related) to get there. Or, they drop the user at the desktop while still initializing in the background.  Regardless,to me, boot times whether 5 seconds or 75 seconds don't make a difference.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2010, 07:55:31 pm »

Intel hardware does seem to be an issue for some cases. The VL team is working hard at this as best can be done with the manpower. I'm pretty sure that the team will make some adjustments to some parts as it has always done for user convenience.
   Also note that developers' time are thin. Though they are spending every moment they can to address as much as possible. We're in beta stage (obviously) and we're still building and asking you to test and find bugs. Please do not expect that this (like previous betas may have been for some) will be stable enough to use for everyday purposes.  Loads of NEWer stuff all over it.
   Keep those bugs reports coming in, please... and please keep the KDE bugs over @ KDE's , unless it is something the VL team has done (like say the menu icon which was mentioned in further up this thread).

Suggestions about alternative menu... other apps/stuff
    I have not seen any place here where the developers have denied this, or other suggestions. However at this point, I think those (particularly the other menu) might better find an approach in packaging requests. They can be built by our excellent packagers, and tested before a consideration. This would save developing time and well as other bonuses.

The VL team is working hard to make this release an improvement over the last releases as much as possible. So please keep the flow of testing, reporting, suggestions coming in .. please keep debates in apropriate sections of forum.

P.S.
      Hewlett Packard Model BG-843 (aka Xg-943)
      Intel celeron 600 MHZ socket 370 (reduced the processor because I gave the 800 to someone who needed)
      Go to HP's web site and look for the rest of the spec's.
 I was able to install SOHO onto it with little issues and worked with it a few days.

Dell Model Dimension 8250
 (look this up too, the slow ram stuff in it as well)
Worked with this, even ran GIMP (and leanred that the swap partition actually does have a purpose) to rebuild the current VL logo and pretty it up for the SOHO DLX.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 09:52:19 pm »

I worked with beta 3 all day, installed some programs not in the repo, and updated Flash to the latest version. The new Flash does not work with Opera 10.10. I googled but didn't find anything relevant. Tomorrow I'll see what's in the Opera forums. The new Flash works fine with SeaMonkey and Firefox. I updated Firefox to 3.6 with the package in testing. Haven't had problems with the new Firefox. Tomorrow I'll install Opera 10.10 from the Slackware package on Opera's Web site. I doubt it will make a difference, but I may as well try.

I just thought I'd report that I now have the newest Flash 10.x working with Opera 10.10 in Beta 3. It took a lot of doing. I found what ultimately worked at
 http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/flash-problems-on-linux

In running ldd /usr/lib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so I found several libraries "not found" The libraries did live in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6 so I made symlinks to them in /usr/lib and ran ldconfig. When I restarted Opera and went to Adobe's Flash test page, I had to click on the spaces for the Flash movies a couple of times but finally Flash started and it's the current version. It has continued to work.

I hope VL6 SOHO Final will have the latest Flash (security issues in earlier versions) and the required libraries. They are not installed with Flash. I don't know if Opera's Slackware package would include the libraries that were missing from /usr/lib. The odd thing is that Opera 10.10 with the latest Flash is working in VL6 Light and VL6 Standard without all this search for libraries and making symlinks.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2010, 12:17:47 am »

Good catch Granny I was wondering about this one too. The  easier way to solve this one is add /usr/lib/firefox to /etc/ld.so.conf then run ldconfig. Saves a lot of time making symlinks..........Smiley I will mark this one as solved thanks for the great detective work!!!!

Cheers,
Vec
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:19:29 am by vector » Logged
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2010, 01:33:49 am »

Problem solved, Vector was tranferred to newer machine.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:34:38 pm by prince » Logged
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2010, 01:57:11 am »

Yes, there is a little bug.

As you can see from my last post, I had depressed the #8 key a few times and still ended up with a smiley.

Had I not write the post I would not detect it.

Also, I thought it was just in Opera, but when pasting email in Yahoo using Seamonkey, the last written line would automatically be highlighted. If I was to paste without being aware, it would overwrite the last written line by pasting over it.

Sometimes everything written is highlighted as if I selected it. That can cause me to loose everything pasted before. At times, I will right-click the edge of the open-mailbox  to trick a paste without overwriting my previous work.  I'm using the MicroSoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A USB with the Vector Linux.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:51:35 am by prince » Logged
caieng

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2010, 04:30:28 am »

Quote from: GrannyGeek
The odd thing is that Opera 10.10 with the latest Flash is working in VL6 Light and VL6 Standard without all this search for libraries and making symlinks.
Is there a possible connection between GG's observation, and my experience that VL6 Light and VL6 Standard both install correctly on my four, 10-12 year old, PIII computers, yet I am unable to reach the install menu of this Beta3 of SOHO--though the disk itself works fine on a more contemporary computer?

Quote from: Masta
... Intel celeron 600 MHZ socket 370 (reduced the processor because I gave the 800 to someone who needed)        Go to HP's web site and look for the rest of the spec's.
 I was able to install SOHO onto it with little issues and worked with it a few days.
Well, I guess that addresses my problem....Must be an error on my part, and not with the beta release.

CAI ENG

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2010, 05:50:23 am »

I disagree with that comment above that boot speed doesn't matter.

I believe that newt's comments meaned that boot speed doesn't matter to him personally (and maybe to others who leave their computers on all the time).

I disagree with that comment above that boot speed doesn't matter.

If that was only true then it would make these products uneccessary:

1) Mtron SSD

2) Memoright (well, most faster solid state drives for that matter) SSD

3) Western Digital Raptor 10,000 HHD (or VelociRaptor), for desktops.

4) Fujitsu 7200 rpm HDD (fastest magnetic drive for laptops).

5) DDR3 RAM (memory)

6) Motherboards such as the AMD 790FX series or Intel X58 series like the Asus Rampage II GENE

7) AMD Phenom 965 or Intel's i7 CPU

Cool RAID controllers or Integrated RAID in operating systems.

9) Coreboot or another fast Bios/Firmware.

10) SATA 3 or any modern computer interface (people would just hang on to the old).

The list can go on ..., but people buy these to increase boot speed.

All of those do increase boot speed but (most of them) also increase normal usage speed. The reason that I would buy a new processor or faster memory would be to increase normal usage speed.

If someone you know well was injured and you were remote from any form of communication except 2 computers, and time was an essence between life death, which of the 2 computers would you choose to bootup between the 5 or 75 second boot?  Of-course, most people would mock this example, unless they went through that experience.

If I need info right away I will resort to the Milax 0.3.3 box. For everyday use, Vector.
I don't like hibernate or ready-boost, or expresssgate, because they can be more trouble then they're worth.

I aggree here, I have been experimenting with Xpud and if I needed to check something on the internet quick, I would use it. For daily use, Vector. The downside to using Xpud though is that there aren't many packages available for it but it is great for booting up fast and speed browsing.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2010, 07:16:52 am »

Daniel is correct; to me, personally, boot times don't affect my computing experience. My systems are always on.

Given your scenario of 2 computers in a remote situation of life or death: I would certainly pick the 5 second boot time computer if neither was already up and running.

Last, it's obvious that you're well aware that the single greatest factor influencing boot time is hardware.  Generally, the older (or lower-end) the hardware the longer the boot times.  A distro can only aim to improve itself on a broad range of hardware, but the newer/higher-end hardware will always perform better.  Look towards something like the texas flood boot-scripts if you want to experiment with a software solution to faster boot times.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2010, 05:38:41 pm »

Just installed Beta 3.. So far look pretty good.  I did have a bit of trouble with the installer.  it use a way big resolution on my machine.  about 600X800  and that caused me not to be able to see all the dialog on the pages.  not a big deal but it might through someone off. 

Good to be back

Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 02:50:52 am »

Update:
installed Beta 3 on another machine  and the installer worked great right resolution and flawless install now to play a bit more with it.  You guys have done an great job.  the installer looks great and is informative only thing that it does not do is eject the final cd when it's done.

Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2010, 05:11:32 pm »

Very interesting response.... Thanks Daniel and newt.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: