VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 05:31:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0-SOHO beta 3 is out for testing  (Read 14846 times)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 05:40:06 pm »

After seeing the comments about KDEs composting I decided to turn several of the features on. While they're impressive (my kids really think so) I've noticed a specific problem. Whenever I'm working with a compressed archive (bz/gz) KDE crashes. I have to init 2, do the tasks, init 4. Anyone else...?

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:36 pm »

for those that want an early download of soho6 beta 4 with kde 4.4.0 before the official announcement:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4-CD2.iso
official announcement later I am out of gas for now. Trust me if you haven't tried soho up till now,. try this one it will blow your socks off guarenteed.

Cheers,
Vec
TLM

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:36:25 pm »

for those that want an early download of soho6 beta 4 with kde 4.4.0 before the official announcement:
official announcement later I am out of gas for now. Trust me if you haven't tried soho up till now,. try this one it will blow your socks off guarenteed.

Cheers,
Vec

Woo Hoo!! I am DL-ing it right now. Will install and test as ASAP. Am not currently wearing socks, so will not bother putting any on since they will be blown off  Grin I am sure this release will reflect the continuous improvement that VL is known for in the beta stages leading up to the final releases.

Particle board should be outlawed.
pevsner

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 09:08:44 am »

Soho Beta 4 looks great vector, nice to have kde4.4 which does seem faster and better organised.
One problem I have had with previous betas and indeed the latest kernel packages for VL6std is the zd1211rw wifi driver ( it shows as a module there) which I cant get to work. I have to compile my own kernel using the included ".config" file and then  all works.
Will test some more.
Good work developers.

caieng

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 04:09:53 pm »

Hi Vec,
Sorry to report, that my moldy socks are still on!

The installer for this version, Beta 4, remains problematical, for older hardware.  In particular, on my IBM thinkpad, 12 years old, Celeron 800, runs both XP, and Vector Linux Light from last summer, i.e. compiled from Slackware 12.1.0 on 15 August 2009, with Kernel 2.6.27.29 without problem, apart from lack of network visibility with Vector, but not XP.  However, with the new SOHO Beta 4, the installer software reaches the blue screen with the blue lettters:  Vector Linux and the white letters, "Loading Installer...", then, after a minute or so, the cd mechanism door opens and the disk is ejected.   End of story.

Same problem is observed with a different, cpu, this another Coppermine cpu, a Pentium III, 1133 MHz, in a traditional desktop case, with a VIA VT82C694X chip set, half a gigabyte SDRAM, and an S3 Graphics controller, i.e. nothing exotic.  Computer works fine with XP, and any flavor of Linux.

Point here is that Slackware 13.0, from last summer, with KDE4, installs, and functions without problem, on this computer, however, the new Vector SOHO Beta 4 simply causes the CDROM drive to open, and ejects the disk, and then reboots the computer, all without a word of advice to the user, and without reaching the install phase.  The new disk does boot, at least!

On a modern cpu, P4, 64 bit, I do not have this problem with Beta 4.  The installer proceeds to the next step, inquiring about keyboard, etc, all normal, all as usual.  However, there is a tiny bug, not really significant, one supposes, but still, inelegant, if the user decides to exit the installation, maybe summoned by the wife, for dinner, or whatever, and so, clicks on the cancel button, or exit, I have forgotten now, what it is called, then, the installation stops all right, but the computer just hangs, with a blank screen, no text, no reboot.  There ought to be, in my opinion, a more graceful exit, given that the user is prompted by the software to take that course of action.....

From what I can determine, there has been no progress in improving the installer software, since my last comments a few weeks back...

regards,
CAI ENG
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 05:22:25 pm »

I have the exact same problem as caieng. The disk boots, gets to the first screen but reboots when I try to use the graphical installer. The text installer just never loads. I get the same (or at least, pretty much the same) kernel panic messages as he did with beta3 (see beta3 bug report thread).

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
TLM

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 12:38:38 am »

Ummmm I have downloaded and installed beta 4, however it occurs to me that this is still the thread for beta 3, so I will hold off posting any more until an official forum thread is created for beta 4.

Particle board should be outlawed.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 12:50:41 am »

However, with the new SOHO Beta 4, the installer software reaches the blue screen with the blue lettters:  Vector Linux and the white letters, "Loading Installer...", then, after a minute or so, the cd mechanism door opens and the disk is ejected.   End of story.
I have the exact same problem as caieng. The disk boots, gets to the first screen but reboots when I try to use the graphical installer.
Caieng and Daniel..........hang in there the X-server is crashing on your systems for some reason. Could you both post what video card you are using please? We use a very minimal X.org to support the installer we may need to add some to keep you and others from going bye bye. Thanks for testing and please let me know the hw we are dealing with ( just video)

Thanks,
Vec

caieng

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 02:06:01 am »

Quote from: Vec
Could you both post what video card you are using please?

Quote from: CAI ENG, yesterday
Same problem is observed with a different, cpu, this another Coppermine cpu, a Pentium III, 1133 MHz, in a traditional desktop case, with a VIA VT82C694X chip set, half a gigabyte SDRAM, and an S3 Graphics controller, i.e. nothing exotic.

However, I have previously tested the Beta 2 and Beta 3, and encountered problems, as previously noted on this forum,
with Trident video controllers, as well.  This problem could have, and should have, been addressed months ago, when I first reported it, but instead, received a terse reply suggesting that I had improperly downloaded the beta version.

Quote from: Vec
We use a very minimal X.org to support the installer we may need to add some to keep you and others from going bye bye.

"minimal" ?  "add some"?   Wow!  How strange!  How utterly bizarre!  Hardware support ought to be the VERY LAST item removed from this bundle of joy called Unix.  What?  You need space on the cdrom?Huh  Get rid of all your gd login crap, if you are sincere about SOHO....

I don't need "root" and "passwords", to operate my SOHO, but I certainly do need to access ALL of my hardware components.  That's the raison d'etre for a genuine operating system, not denying access like some kind of fascist police.

SOHO is NOT a server.  SOHO is an acronym referring to a Small office, Single user environment, not hundreds of people at an institution, all clamoring to access the same miserable cpu, running on 128 kilobytes of ram, at a speed of 500 kilohertz, as was the case when this wretched operating system was invented.  How could anyone even THINK of removing hardware support from a version of Unix claimed and touted to run and operate on OLD computers, where "old" is merely twelve years in age?  Unbelievable.  You folks need to add some spinach to your diet, or do something to increase brain function.

Small size available for the installer cdrom?  BOLLOCKS.   Puppy linux has no problem with ANY of my two dozen computers, big or small.  Fast or slow. Brand new, or fifteen years old.  ANY post 80586 cpu runs flawlessly with it, in my experience.  Puppy Linux occupies a single CD, not two.  It boots effortlessly, and UNLIKE Slackware 13.0, I do not need, with Puppy Linux, to fiddle around with the bloody graphics code to achieve a normal screen resolution of 1024 x 768 (Slackware defaults to 800 x 600), on my half dozen "old" P3 machines.  I simply insert the Puppy cdrom, and ten minutes later, I am on the internet at 1024 x 768.  VERY simple. Crunchbang?  Yeah, I agree, it is great, however, (a) like all Ubuntu distros, it overwrites the MBR, hence useless to me, and (b) unlike Slack, which permits the change, (yes with a modest amount of unnecessary effort,) to 1024 x 768, I have found no way, none, to get that bloody distro to display anything but 800 x 600--on my "Old" computers.  Sure, no problem with any Linux distro running on the 64 bit cpu's.   Perhaps, like Vec, Ubuntu gurus too, left out a few hardware device control components, eh?   

Why isn't Vector SOHO as simple, and easy to manipulate and install, as Puppy? MONTHS I have been farting around with these ill thought out beta versions...

Here's an idea:  GET RID OF THE DAMN login crap, and start over, if you really are sincere about SOHO.
Here's a hint:  download Puppy, and try it on an OLD computer.  Then, try your beta 4!  good luck.

CAI ENG (with four coasters, and very moldy socks)
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 03:02:55 am »

Caieng,

All of the hardware support is included in SOHO. The problem is that the installer (Not the OS) is setup
to make use of minimal resources while installing the rest of the system. It is the installer where you
are observing problems. The reason for a small installer is to try to allow use by older hardware with
less than optimal RAM.

The installer is a newer project by Vector Linux a new project vs using someone elses installer. It takes time
to debug every possible hardware combination. No one can plan for all possible hardware to be used.

S3 is not considered to be main stream hardware or even close to it.
In my experience getting the S3 cards that I have to render 3D was a fight
the I loath.

Your comments are being reviewed by the developers and fixes are being tried, but without actual
access to the hardware writing a fix is not easy.

If you wish to try to install without the graphical installer at boot up when you get to the command
prompt type linux. That will start the non graphical installer which should allow you to succeed in
installing Vector linux.

In the past many on the forum have complained about the lack of a graphical installer, the developers
listened and this is where we are at today.

Your comments are harsh. I hope that this post will help you to see that the installer and OS are two
separate things.

Bigpaws

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 05:40:05 am »

On a modern cpu, P4, 64 bit, I do not have this problem with Beta 4.  The installer proceeds to the next step, inquiring about keyboard, etc, all normal, all as usual.  However, there is a tiny bug, not really significant, one supposes, but still, inelegant, if the user decides to exit the installation, maybe summoned by the wife, for dinner, or whatever, and so, clicks on the cancel button, or exit, I have forgotten now, what it is called, then, the installation stops all right, but the computer just hangs, with a blank screen, no text, no reboot.  There ought to be, in my opinion, a more graceful exit, given that the user is prompted by the software to take that course of action.....

If you move your mouse to the bottom of the screen, a task bar will appear, which will then allow you to open a terminal window, or reboot. Or even play space invaders.

From what I can determine, there has been no progress in improving the installer software, since my last comments a few weeks back...

For your specific hardware, prehaps. However, in general, even though I have no especial fondness for graphical installers, both beta 3 and beta 4 show considerable improvements in that area.

Paul.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 07:07:52 pm »

I have a VIA VT8361 Chipset with a Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 for onboard video (no other video cards) according to the K Info Center.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
alextaylor

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 04:13:55 pm »

Cheers,
Vec

Hi Robert,
After reading your forum post I installed SOHO 4. My experience was the following.

1. I used the default to install using my existing petitions.They were set and running Vector Standard. The first disc installed and #2 got to the point of installing Grub and I was greeted with the message that the boot loader did not install, do I want to continue and use the disc to boot my system or quit. I started over several times using different petition configs. I know the first sign of mental illness is doing something the same way over and over and expecting a different result. Nothing worked. I opened my drive tray and reached for a disc that would clean my hd CrunchBang or Mint. Mint did the job and left me with two petitions. I installed SOHO 4 and it worked. You are right it is beautiful and I was very impressed.

2. Then a box started to pop up about every two minutes instructing me to sign in as root. I did. That is not annoying enough, but when I attempted to change to system clock I was prevented from doing so and told I was not authorized. I am sending you this note using Mint.
As soon as I am over my disappointment and anger I will install VL standard. It works every time just like Mint. Until then, I will be searching the
VL forums for an answer to my SOHO problems. At that time I will install SOHO 4 not paying attention to the mental illness thing.
SOHO 4 is very impressive and I hope I can use it soon.

* Don't get too excited over the hockey game.* The US beating Canada or Canada beating the US is like kissing your sister, it does not count.

Thanks to everyone involved with VL for what you do. I am sure by now I have installed SOHO Beta 4.

alextaylor

From Maine now in Florida
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »

Where is Btrfs and the unreleased Xserver 1.8, for testing?

I think it would be good for vector to release two SOHO versions at one time, the 32bit and the 64bit
for those serious SOHO users on newer machines.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 06:26:33 pm »

64-bit MAY be released for VL 7. Remains to be seen. 32-bit runs just fine on a 64-bit system.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: