VectorLinux
December 28, 2014, 06:41:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vector linux in a computer lab  (Read 678 times)
athuff02

« on: January 28, 2010, 09:16:22 am »

Ok, so I'm trying to install Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Gold onto 8 Dell Optiplex 5500 (model # may be wrong) computers in my church's computer lab.  As far as I know, all have a 2.0ghz P4 processor and 256 megs of ram.  They're mainly going to be used for light office applications with (as of right now anyway) no internet access whatsoever.  My main concern is whether or not these machines are powerful enough to use xfce.  Right now, I've got Vector installed on 3 of them (5 are still without power, of which 3 still need keyboards) and LXDE is working properly on one of them (one of them has no xorg file (strange, but fixable) and the other one seems to have a faulty cd-rom drive).  So far, LXDE works well on the computer that will boot to it, but I can't figure out how to change backgrounds.

So, to repeat.  LXDE or XFCE on these machines? and Can you change the background on a default LXDE install?   
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:14:07 am »

I have a laptop (AMD 1500+ athlon mobile with 512 mb RAM) and it runs VL 6 Standard XFCE fine.  It has a tendency to get a little sluggish after a week or two of uptime, opera constantly open with 10+ tabs, and playing World of Goo game occasionally. Using this for comparison, I would guess that your systems with 256mb ram would probably be fine with XFCE given no internet and occasional-use scenario, plus I imagine they'll be shut down daily.  You could certainly install a full install and test the XFCE side of things; if it seems like it'll be too heavy then you always have LXDE as a backup plan. What kind of light office applications are you thinking?

You can certainly change the LXDE default background. It may require editing a config file and specify the path to the background image you want to use, or it may be controlled by pcmanfm and you just need to change it from there.
athuff02

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 01:35:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure just the default abiword will be the extent of the light office apps that will be needed.  The main premise is for the youth at church to have computers so that they can do schoolwork.  I'll check into changing the desktop file later, but I might just reinstall and do a full install on the ones I have working right now. 
athuff02

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:48:37 pm »

Got four of them installed with Vector Linux Smiley.  All of them are running really great.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: