VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 03:07:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1084 times)
athuff02

Hi
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:33:10 am »

So I've been around the block a few times.  I've used the following distros (in no particular order): suse 9.0, opensuse, ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, linux mint, PCLinuxOS, puppy, Mandriva, Vector Linux, fedora, et ceterea.   I liked VL in the past, but at the time it didn't suit my needs (or I was lazy).  Anyway, the reason I registered on this forum is that now I've been entrusted with a small computer lab at my church consisting of 8 dell optiplex computers.  I just finished setting up the lab today (before it was just a bunch of computer hardware stuck in a room).  I plan on using Vector Linux on all 8 computers because I know it plays nice with older hardware.   I'm looking forward to getting the lab up and running.
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:21:47 pm »

Welcome.  If you've had near the luck I've had here at vector, you're in good shape. 

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:48:15 pm »

I think your going to have fun, the next few months should bring some exciting new Vector releases.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
athuff02

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:00:36 pm »

I think I will. I've decided to install VL on my Aspire one.  Right now it's running Vista Home Basic.   I looked on the forums for compatibility and I don't think I'll be disappointed. 
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:36:47 pm »

I have three Dell Optiplex computers (and one old HP Vectra).   Vector runs really sweet on my 2 older Dell Optiplex Gx150 PIIIs  (1Ghz--512 ram).   You should have no trouble at all with the 8 Dell Optiplexs you're thinking of putting Vector on.   Another big plus is that I have older Nvidia Geforce (legacy) video cards in both of them,...and Vector detected and set up the driver right "off the bat".
athuff02  wrote:
because I know it plays nice with older hardware.
...you got that right!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: