VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:03:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with LILO "L 99 99 99 99..."  (Read 4428 times)
vvcv

« on: January 28, 2010, 10:20:24 am »

Hi, i have already installed vector Linux 6.0 Light in other hd and it was working, but this time when I start the computer says "L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99...".

I have searched in the forum and i have found a post with the same problem, but nothing has worked. I have changed my hdd and i have put LBA mode, and I have used the cd to boot vector linux, and then with root i have written "vliloconfig" and i have selected the first choice, but nothing has happened when i rebooted.

What could i do? Thank you very much for your help.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:26:27 am »

Several years ago I used to have problems with overwriting a grub bootloader with the lilo bootloader. Did this hard drive happen to have a grub bootloader on it previously? What I used to do in these cases was to use a Windows 98 bootdisk (floppy), boot the floppy to command prompt, and issue the 'fdisk /mbr' command. This would rewrite the bootsector of the hard drive with the windows 98 bootloader. Then I would reboot to a linux CD and overwrite the Windows 98 bootsector with lilo. This worked back then, but requires a floppy drive which are becoming rare.

Another option: You can try booting the VL6 Light to the text installer and then choose the LILO option to overwrite the bootloader. This should really have the same effect as the 'vliloconfig' command you've already tried.

Another option: You can use the CD to boot into your installed system, and then try issuing a 'lilo -v' command to overwrite the bootsector. Take note of any error the command returns; warnings are usually fine but errors are not.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:04:45 pm »

Another thing to try:
Boot into your installed VL6Light with the installation CD. Then as root open /etc/lilo.conf with a text editor. Check all the paths to make sure everything is there and correct. If you don't find any errors in /etc/lilo.conf, exit. If you made any changes, run as root
lilo -v
which is necessary for the changes to take effect. Note any warnings or errors as newt suggests. Whatever may cause errors (though not warnings) must be fixed. Run
lilo -v
any time you make changes. Even if you made no changes, it wouldn't hurt to run
lilo -v
anyway. Reboot without the CD and see if you're successful.

I have one dual-boot computer where Linux is on a second hard drive. It takes a couple of minutes after I start the computer before the second hard drive initializes. It has always worked this way. Windows is on the primary drive and if I want to boot to Windows, I can do it right away. If I want to boot to Linux (on the secondary hard drive) I have to hit Esc to bring up the computer's boot menu (NOT the Linux boot loader) and then wait a couple of minutes for the secondary hard drive to start up. Is it possible something like that could be happening to you?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vvcv

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:28:54 am »

I have one hd with a ntfs partition (without windows or something installed) and vector linux (15 gb). I have tried looking lilo.conf and everything seems right. I have used vliloconf and tried the second option and still doesn't works, and i have tried using lilo -v and still doesn't works.

Any idea about what's the problem? Thank you very much for your help.  Undecided
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:15:17 pm »

I am in no way an expert. It might help those who understand these things if you posted your /etc/lilo.conf file. Maybe they'll spot a problem.

>> I have used vliloconf and tried the second option and still doesn't works, >>

What is "the second option"?
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vvcv

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:14:37 am »

The choices are:

First choice: MBR -Install to Master Boot Record (simplest).
Second choice: Sector - Install to boot Sector.
Third choice: Install to formatted floppy in /dev/fd0.

This is my lilo.conf (/etc/lilo.conf). The partition is hdd2.

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hdd
default = linux
compact
prompt
timeout = 100
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
  reset
bitmap = /boot/bitmap/boot.bmp
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769

# End LILO global section
# Partition 1: Linux GUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdd2
    label = linux
    append = " "
    read-only

# Partition 2: Linux TUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdd2
    label = linux-tui
    append = "2  "
    read-only

# Partition 3: Linux GUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdd2
    label = linux-gui
    append = "4  "
    read-only

Somebody could help me? I am starting to think that i am gonna need to change the HD to the previous one (it seems like a pain in the ass, because i am already using the other hd). Thank you very much for your help.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:23:04 am by vvcv » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 04:53:54 pm »

You are positive your BIOS is set to boot from the slave on the secondary IDE channel (hdd)? Most machines boot from first master (hda).
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:09:36 pm »

As far as I know, if you use the "Install to boot sector" option, you need a boot loader to offer you a choice of where to boot from. The boot loader chains to the boot sector of the drive where you have LILO installed and then you see the LILO screen offering your Linux choices. You pick what you want (such as your default Linux or Linux-tui or Linux-gui) and then VectorLinux starts.

Since all my computers are at least dual boot and have Windows XP on them, I use the NT boot loader for Windows with VectorLinux as a choice. I install LILO on the boot sector of whatever Linux partition I want to boot. When I start the computer, I get a text screen that offers Windows XP and VectorLinux. I highlight the desired OS and hit Enter. If I'm starting Linux the LILO screen comes up next and I hit Enter if I want my Linux default to load.

There are other boot loaders available that can offer several operating systems. These can also chain to LILO on the boot sector of your Linux partition.

If you don't want to boot more than one OS, I suggest putting LILO in the MBR. Of course, you can also put LILO in the MBR if Linux is your only OS. Putting LILO on a floppy disk is very safe but floppy drives are rare these days.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: