VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: [SOLVED-- kind of] JPilot permission issue...  (Read 738 times)

RonB

• Vectorite
[SOLVED-- kind of] JPilot permission issue...
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:27:27 pm »

I come back hat in hand...

Is there any Wiki on getting the JPilot to sync to a Palm Treo? I've been trying to search the forums, trying out various solutions, but still have some kind of permission issue. I see where some folks suggest you put yourself in the uucp group, others say they would never do that. As of yet I haven't taken that step. But I did confirm that the visor and usb modules are loading and I put a new file somewhere in the u.dev directory and I've changed the permissions on the ttyUSBx files (but they disappear when JPilot isn't running) . Nothing, so far, has helped. I'm just hoping there's something obvious I'm missing. Thanks for any pointers. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:21:07 am by RonB »
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270

RonB

• Vectorite
Re: [SOLVED-- kind of] JPilot permission issue...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:21:27 am »

I decided to see if I could take another look at it. When I changed SETTINGS to USB: instead of ttyUSBx I could get my palm to sync to root. But I still couldn't sync from my user name. So, remembering that one person said to put yourself into the uucp group, that's what I did -- and it syncs. But the problem is, I don't know what I have left open. I know root isn't in the uucp group and yet it works -- so I still don't have the true solution.

Putting yourself in the uucp group seems to be an Arch Linux fix, so maybe it's alright.

"Troubleshooting

If you get a message such as stating that you don't have proper permissions, you probably need to add your user to a group with the proper permissions. This may be 'usb' or 'uucp'."

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Palm

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:56:59 am by RonB »
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270