VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 08:08:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED-- kind of] JPilot permission issue...  (Read 644 times)
RonB
Vectorite

« on: January 28, 2010, 11:27:27 pm »

I come back hat in hand...

Is there any Wiki on getting the JPilot to sync to a Palm Treo? I've been trying to search the forums, trying out various solutions, but still have some kind of permission issue. I see where some folks suggest you put yourself in the uucp group, others say they would never do that. As of yet I haven't taken that step. But I did confirm that the visor and usb modules are loading and I put a new file somewhere in the u.dev directory and I've changed the permissions on the ttyUSBx files (but they disappear when JPilot isn't running) . Nothing, so far, has helped. I'm just hoping there's something obvious I'm missing. Thanks for any pointers. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:21:07 am by RonB » Logged

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:21:27 am »

I decided to see if I could take another look at it. When I changed SETTINGS to USB: instead of ttyUSBx I could get my palm to sync to root. But I still couldn't sync from my user name. So, remembering that one person said to put yourself into the uucp group, that's what I did -- and it syncs. But the problem is, I don't know what I have left open. I know root isn't in the uucp group and yet it works -- so I still don't have the true solution.

Putting yourself in the uucp group seems to be an Arch Linux fix, so maybe it's alright.

"Troubleshooting

If you get a message such as stating that you don't have proper permissions, you probably need to add your user to a group with the proper permissions. This may be 'usb' or 'uucp'."

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Palm

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:56:59 am by RonB » Logged

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: