VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1414 times)

athuff02

Hi
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:33:10 am »

So I've been around the block a few times.  I've used the following distros (in no particular order): suse 9.0, opensuse, ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, linux mint, PCLinuxOS, puppy, Mandriva, Vector Linux, fedora, et ceterea.   I liked VL in the past, but at the time it didn't suit my needs (or I was lazy).  Anyway, the reason I registered on this forum is that now I've been entrusted with a small computer lab at my church consisting of 8 dell optiplex computers.  I just finished setting up the lab today (before it was just a bunch of computer hardware stuck in a room).  I plan on using Vector Linux on all 8 computers because I know it plays nice with older hardware.   I'm looking forward to getting the lab up and running.

Deach

• Vectorite
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:21:47 pm »

Welcome.  If you've had near the luck I've had here at vector, you're in good shape. 
Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram

stretchedthin

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Opensourcebistro.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:48:15 pm »

I think your going to have fun, the next few months should bring some exciting new Vector releases.
Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee

athuff02

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:00:36 pm »

I think I will. I've decided to install VL on my Aspire one.  Right now it's running Vista Home Basic.   I looked on the forums for compatibility and I don't think I'll be disappointed. 

nitehawk

• Vectorite
  • Just me.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:36:47 pm »

I have three Dell Optiplex computers (and one old HP Vectra).   Vector runs really sweet on my 2 older Dell Optiplex Gx150 PIIIs  (1Ghz--512 ram).   You should have no trouble at all with the 8 Dell Optiplexs you're thinking of putting Vector on.   Another big plus is that I have older Nvidia Geforce (legacy) video cards in both of them,...and Vector detected and set up the driver right "off the bat".
athuff02  wrote:
because I know it plays nice with older hardware.
...you got that right!