VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: turn off screen saver/ enable caffeine  (Read 1667 times)

pottzie

turn off screen saver/ enable caffeine
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:53:06 pm »

I want to be able to turn off the screen saver so I can watch videos without having to move the mouse. I downloaded and opened Caffeine:
 https://launchpad.net/caffeine
 It looks to me as if it opened and ran in the terminal, but I don't see it anywhere. Is there a way to see if it's installed, and how do I get it to run?
 Thanks

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: turn off screen saver/ enable caffeine
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 01:28:01 pm »

I want to be able to turn off the screen saver so I can watch videos without having to move the mouse. I downloaded and opened Caffeine:
 https://launchpad.net/caffeine
 It looks to me as if it opened and ran in the terminal, but I don't see it anywhere. Is there a way to see if it's installed, and how do I get it to run?
 Thanks

Downloading something from launchpad is unlikely to get you an installed program under Vector. Looking at the page, you would have downloaded either a Debian package or the source. Neither will work directly. In some instances, you may be able to convert a .deb package to a .tgz package suitable for Vector. Otherwise, you will need to download the source and build the application you want.

:) Or, as a final option, request a package.

Since it looks interesting, I'll see if I can get it built. May take a couple of days though - I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment.

Paul.

pottzie

Re: turn off screen saver/ enable caffeine
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 10:58:32 am »

Wow! Thanks, I figured that someone had come across this before and maybe I was trying to re-invent the wheel when a nice round fully inflated one was already out there. The concept of someone pounding their head against the wall just so I don't have to move my wrist every 15 minutes is above and beyond the call of duty.
 It's slackware, after all.
 FWIW I went with the tgz. And my idea of a rush job is 2011.