VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: How to choose a screen option SOLVED  (Read 1506 times)

s1wood

How to choose a screen option SOLVED
« on: January 31, 2010, 04:54:52 am »

Hi,
I've given up on the Light CD and have burned a Vector 6.0 standard disc and installed from this. After a great many failed attempts I finally completed an install (I have the How-to open on the other computer) but seem to be messing it up in the final stages when choosing a screen option. I have no idea what the resolution on my monitor is - it is a small elderly CRT - and I always choose auto or default options. But now I am booting successfully I end up at a mass of wavy lines and there seems to be no way to do anything about it.
I am now re-installing for the umpteenth time and would like some advice before I reach the critical phase.
Please.

Susan
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:02:34 pm by s1wood »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: How to choose a screen option
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 05:28:59 am »

No need to re-install. To experiment with screen resolution, boot to command line (choose the "tui" option). Log in as root. Run "vxconf", then "startx". If you don't get a good picture, hit key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, run vxconf again and try other settings.

Start with something very safe, like vesa driver, 640x480 and 16 bit color. Work your way up from there.

s1wood

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 12:11:43 pm »

I have tried this, vxconf gets me to an option screen but whatever I choose, when I press enter I just get a text message saying root:#
Which isn't a lot of help.
When I boot at present I get to a command prompt for my username and password, which is recognised but then just goes to  susan:$
Not a lot of use either.

I have had a perfectly good Vector screen running at various stages, so it can be done, I just can't work out how.

Susan

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:08:14 pm »

I have tried this, vxconf gets me to an option screen but whatever I choose, when I press enter I just get a text message saying root:#
Which isn't a lot of help.
When I boot at present I get to a command prompt for my username and password, which is recognised but then just goes to  susan:$
Not a lot of use either.

Did you type
startx
at the susan:$ prompt? This assumes you have chosen a default desktop environment/window manager in VASM.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

s1wood

Re: How to choose a screen option SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 02:01:26 pm »

I did try startx and got a string of something like 'xauth,shared libraries not found.

HOWEVER I have
a) wiped my hard drive and repartioned (I'm getting good at that, at least) and
b) removed a RAM module that was a different spec from the others
and now  Vector has installed first time and has a picture.

The answer to my original question is that I chose the Vesa option instead of vxconfig and then did not get asked any difficult questions.

I have other problems now,of course,  but I will study previous postings before bleating for aid again.

Thank you.

Susan

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: How to choose a screen option SOLVED
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:12:17 pm »

It does sound like something was wrong with your first installation. I'm glad to hear that the reinstallation is going well so far.

Don't hesitate to ask for any help you need.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller