VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 01:40:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: will not auto connect after restart (wicd)  (Read 3170 times)
clontarf

« on: February 03, 2010, 12:12:57 pm »

i know this has been covered, but i am making no progress with what i have read up on it, and i dont want to add to a post that has been sitting from Nov 09

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10816.0

i got the first part done getting the daemon started, but having trouble getting it to autostart wicd client.
is it saying i need to copy this line /usr/bin/wicd-client into here ~/.icewm/startup.
if i use nano and try to save it says file does not exist.

im setting this computer up for someone, but i dont realy want them logging in as root to get connected to the net,

VL6.0 Light Final
icewm
wired network.

Sorry i got this sorted....... Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:40:32 pm by clontarf » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:02:42 pm »

Light does not load the wicd daemon automatically, because in many cases it is not needed.

If the computer in question is using wired ethernet, you would be better off using vasm to set up the network connection.
kpo

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:33:26 am »

I have similar problem on VL-KDE-Classic 6.0, Wicd connectivity.

Upon distro installation, I can detect, setup Wifi and it works. After N restarts of linux it still works.
BUT - the moment i set the wifi connection to 'autoconnect' - the wifi settings disappear on the next system reboot.
No more WiFi connectivity AT ALL, no more detection of WiFi spots, despite that all daemons and clients are running!

The problem is always reproducible! I was forced to reinstall VL from scratch 3 times ...
Please advise - the problem is really annoing  Undecided

The wifi card is the shittiest BMC43xx network card produced ever if this matters.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:37:08 am by kpo » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 06:09:26 pm »

There is a new version of wicd in the testing repo. Try upgrading to it and see if it helps.
kpo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »

Problem solved.

I think I should outline the problem, so that anyone experiencing the same problem be helped.
The wicd/wifi problem, that I have stumbled upon, can be fairly divided between the distro scripts and my notebook crappy firmware.
At the time of installation of the distro, VL does extensive probing for the wifi hardware , wifi card is recognised, wifi driver properly initiated and started. The crappy and notorious BCM43xx wifi firmware of my notebook survives all sequential warm reboots, so the wifi is alive. However on cold restart wifi connectivity disappears, as the wicd/wifi initiation process differs and is simpler.
So to solve the problem I was just forced 'to inject the proper bit at the proper place at the proper time'  Grin

Addition of this simple line at the wicd_start() function at the /etc/rc.d/init.d/wicd script did the trick:

Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/acer-wmi/wireless

I admit that the solution is hardware dependant, but worked for me.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:41:11 pm by kpo » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: