VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: installing kernel sources via gslapt: locked?  (Read 1222 times)

d_s

installing kernel sources via gslapt: locked?
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:12:15 am »

Hi all,

just wanted to install newer kernel sources via gslapt, but it shows a lock symbol for that package and does not let me select anything. A quick search for "locked" here did not bring up anything interesting, but I saw this: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10987.0 so I have a way to get new kernel sources. But out of curiosity: How do I unlock a package? Or is this implicitely done because gslapt cannot install it in a safe&proper way?

And another one: The latest kernel on the FTP storage seems to be 2.6.31.8 (kernel-2.6.31.8-i686-1vl60.tlz) - that's already better than what I have, but the newest stable kernel at www.kernel.org is 2.6.32.8 - are there any vector specific patches or can I install the vanilla kernel?

best regards
Dirk

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: installing kernel sources via gslapt: locked?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 05:33:22 am »

Yes.. kernel and kernel-modules are normally locked by default because upgrading kernel can potentially ruin your system. With kernels and kernel modules, you want to install and not upgrade.

There is a line in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc that contains a list of disabled package names.

d_s

Re: installing kernel sources via gslapt: locked?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:43:35 pm »

With kernels and kernel modules, you want to install and not upgrade.
Indeed!! Many Thanks!

There is a line in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc that contains a list of disabled package names.
I see. Thanks again.