Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: installing kernel sources via gslapt: locked?  (Read 1194 times)

d_s

installing kernel sources via gslapt: locked?
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:12:15 am »
Hi all,

just wanted to install newer kernel sources via gslapt, but it shows a lock symbol for that package and does not let me select anything. A quick search for "locked" here did not bring up anything interesting, but I saw this: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10987.0 so I have a way to get new kernel sources. But out of curiosity: How do I unlock a package? Or is this implicitely done because gslapt cannot install it in a safe&proper way?

And another one: The latest kernel on the FTP storage seems to be 2.6.31.8 (kernel-2.6.31.8-i686-1vl60.tlz) - that's already better than what I have, but the newest stable kernel at www.kernel.org is 2.6.32.8 - are there any vector specific patches or can I install the vanilla kernel?

best regards
Dirk

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: installing kernel sources via gslapt: locked?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 05:33:22 am »
Yes.. kernel and kernel-modules are normally locked by default because upgrading kernel can potentially ruin your system. With kernels and kernel modules, you want to install and not upgrade.

There is a line in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc that contains a list of disabled package names.

d_s

Re: installing kernel sources via gslapt: locked?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:43:35 pm »
With kernels and kernel modules, you want to install and not upgrade.
Indeed!! Many Thanks!

There is a line in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc that contains a list of disabled package names.
I see. Thanks again.