VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 03:46:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New install won't boot from MBR - SOLVED!!  (Read 4810 times)
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 07:33:03 am »

To copy/paste: Possibly the easiest way would be to sent the command output to a file, then you can open/edit the file with any text editor or even copy to a flash drive to open on a different computer.  To do this you would use the command like this: lilo -v3 -t > filename.txt

It looks as though lilo is set to install to the boot sector on your /dev/sda device (sata/scsi device) - the drive that does not contain VL. Is that your intention?

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 10:21:22 am »

Susan,

It may be that you are one of the millions who will never know the joys of Vectoring with Linux.  I hope not.  Seems to me you are a real trouper.  As someone who a few years back was suffering many problems similar to those that you are having (and who still relies heavily on this forum), I encourage you to stay the course.  Once out of the Windows trap, things look up.  I'm reminded here of Tom Jefferson, I think it was, who said that he preferred the boisterous sea of freedom to the calm waters of despotism.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
s1wood

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 01:05:13 am »

>It looks as though lilo is set to install to the boot sector on your /dev/sda device (sata/scsi device) - the drive that does not contain VL. Is that your intention?<

I have always asked it to install to hda1  where I put VL - if it is not doing that I don't know why.

Susan
s1wood

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 11:10:06 am »

In the hope of reformatting a floppy disc and trying it again I opened up 'format partitions'.

What it has found is (unmounted)

/dev/hda2 Linux swap size = 1455552 MB (I never made it that size!)
/dev/sda1 W95 FAT32 (LBA) size=3915755+MB (I know nothing about this and neither does Gparted)
/dev/sdb1 78 Unknown size =3498031Mb (no idea)
/dev/sdb2 10 OPUS size= 1218302 MB (no idea)
/dev/sdb3 8b Unknown size = 3819348MB (no idea)
/dev/sdb4 a OS/2 Boot Manager size =76569MB (no idea)

(I have 2 USB memory sticks in use, one is 4GB and the other 512MB)

Does this look normal?

Susan

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 12:04:10 pm »

I'm not confident about the 'MB' designation on your output. My gut feeling is that they numbers match up better as KB (kilobytes) instead. With that in mind...

It looks like you have only a linux swap partition on your hda device (ide hard drive). You would be missing a standard linux partition.  The swap partition would be approx 1.5GB in size, which is on the large side but not totally unreasonable.

Most likely that your /dev/sda1 (W95 FAT32) is your 4GB USB memory stick. The sizes match up pretty well and a usb drive would be recognized as a /dev/sd# device.

I'm not sure what to make of your /dev/sdb device. It looks to be potentially in the ~8gb size range, but maybe not.  Does your system have more than one physical hard drive in it? Maybe a Compact Flash drive?

Overall, everything seems strange.  I would be interested in knowing what a live CD reports about your hardware with all usb flash drives disconnected.  You could try a free distro like PartedMagic to check this out.
s1wood

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 01:08:20 pm »

It specified that only unmounted drives were showing so I presume hda1, my main partition, was mounted. I will remove all my USb devices and look again.

Susan
s1wood

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 01:28:35 pm »

YESSS!
Removed USB sticks - booted perfectly - AND my internet connection is working again!
Now just the keyboard issue outstanding....

I looked at my disks on the Live CD of another Linux distribution and it specifically stated that my 4GB stick was MBR - how on earth did that happen? And what can I do about it - I would like to be able to use that stick again.

Sorry - I've probably exceeded my ration of questions by now - but if anyone does know an answer.....

Thanks to all to helped.

Susan
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 02:06:00 pm »

I'm not sure how or why lilo ended up installing to your usb drive, but it should be easy to rectify.  I would start by simply trying vliloconf from your running VL system without any usb drives plugged in. See if that works.
s1wood

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »

Lilo has installed correctly now.
When I looked at the memory stick more closely I found that I had a VL Light iso on it, which I had used to get a Cd burned on my husband's computer - could that have caused the problem? I have now deleted it anyway.

Thanks again,

Susan
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: